Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

Just got my A-10, 50 amp Heavy Duty ESC this afternoon as the existing 40 amp were cooking on Quick maiden flight Saturday.
Also Customized an Air Intake Flow In and Out on A-10 to Keep cool ESC and additional bracing of under carriage plus skid guards.
Pics of Build below, Ready for Saturday flight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Nice idea to make the intake scoops from plastic spoons.
Looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing it fly at the weekend.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I too like the spoon intakes, nice idea and nicely executed. Hope you have a hole further aft for all the hot air to escape from.
Cheers
Rob B

nice work mate, look forward to seeing her make some high speed passes 8-)

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Thanks Guys

The A-10 is all glossed up now.

I used a water based polyurethane clear gloss, never tried the stuff before, always used the mini spray paks clear gloss but never really achieved a shiny coat, nor extra strength.
I'm very happy with the results mega shine and a lot stronger shell. Smile Smile Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Very nice, how much weight did you add with the coat? Not that it really matters with the ~1600g of thrust you have! Shock

Funny you should ask that, As i asked that same question myself after i applied the second coat, and normally i would do a weigh Shock
I thought how will i check it now ? :idea:
So i weighed the approx amount of water based polyurethane clear gloss i used knowing it was a full tin and allowed a little extra. (using a plastic cup and taking out the same amount that was missing)
Weighed it on scales 108 grams. (cup weighed 3gms)
And remembering that most of the weight in water based polyurethane is in the water so you can actually apply a quite a bit without worrying too much.
I guess its < 105 grams
But also remebering i gave my island hopper a one light coat and funjet a one light coat.

Your guess is as good as mine i'd say 75 grams as they were thick coats.

Would of been easier to weigh before and after but hey life's not meant to be easy.

Or, just weigh the spare airframe! Needless to say, It will fly awesome and once you get your computer radio I bet you wont know how you ever flew before!!

Hey steve, are you running the stock edf motors it came with? i cant remember if you said you swapped them.. im looking around at some different edf rtf's and wondering just how much it will cost to have something like you have in perhaps a fighter style airframe single fan, ive seen some around that ppl are worried about the cheapness of the tubes that the fans are in and the balance of the fans have you had any issues with brushless ducted as such and what are the motors and fans your running i would like to price up a plane...
cheers mate.. Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi kev
Heres some info that might help, as you will see i love customizing and building just as much as flying, i guess its the fun of building something yourself and then seeing it actually come together hopefully and achieve what you wanted it to, FLY.
A lot of :geek: info to look at but i guess you need to know it if you want to get things working right.
I'm still learning so much all the time and making heaps of mistakes in the process.

With the A-10 i actually swapped out the EDF's and customized installed new EDF's which i did a spec thrust test that produced a 800grams thrust per unit even when customized to 55mm EDF'S so it would fit in the A-10 nacelles.
The Stock thrust was only 380 grams thrust each unit the stock motors were only 3200kv.

64mm diameter impeller fan - weight: 73g/2.575oz
Volts(V) ... Current(A) ....... Thrust(g/oz) ...... Power(W) ...... MOTOR
11.1 ........ 39 .................. 850/29.983 ........ 432 ....... VMH300XL5250KV
link below
http://cgi.ebay.com/VMD64H300XL-5250KV-B...9004r13855

But I found that now they make a 55mm EDF with the 5250kv, though i notice the thrust was less not sure if there the same
motor as the 64mm EDF i bought, but this would be an easier way to go than what i had to do. As i had to custom fit motor,fixing to the 55 EDF's i bought separately and then balance, and cost me more.
link below
http://www.fmhobbies.com/servlet/the-116...5mm/Detail

Kev Keep in mind when looking at Motors the Amps, as weight will become an issue with battery and esc size in determining the right ratio and thrust you will need.
The motors that I'm running are drawing a lot of amps spec reads 39 amps actual clamp test 36 amps each but having two Edfs producing 1600grams of thrust solves my issue with the overall weight of plane with battery.
Steve who i met on line while i was building my SS2 who has been down the field mentioned rule of thumb 100 Watts per 500 GRAMS of Weight to get Airborne only not high performance Flying and this isn't including wing span. I use this rule also now to help me work out the overall setup.
Eg My A-10 Setup .... Weight .... Amps constant run not burst .... Voltage not peak
......................... 940 grams .... 25 amps .......................... 10.5 volts ............. 25amps x 10.5 volts = 262.5 Watts

262.5 watts times two Edfs = 525 Watts
I needed min 200 watts to get airborne at 940 grams therefore stock motors would have just get me in
the airborne at 700 grams thrust and weight I'm at.

I use the figure 2.3 times what ever watts as a guide to work out approx thrust actual test i use the scales and power them up and the pressure of air flow out of the EDF's hitting the scales will give you a guide of thrust it produces in grams.

Great Info there Steve.
I too hope to try out ducted fans one day.
As you said there is so much to learn about this hobby.
I love the research and planning that's required and of course
flying the finished article. Smile
Hope the weather holds out ok for the weekend as I would love to see
your A10 in action again.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

samste Wrote:A lot of :geek: info to look at but i guess you need to know it if you want to get things working right.

i never have too much info.. i get alot of time to read things at work :ugeek:

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Heres one of my other projects in the backburner waiting for me when i get more time.

Look what just popped up on Hobbyking!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=9614

kizza42 Wrote:Look what just popped up on Hobbyking!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=9614

Not a bad price for almost ready to fly kit $69 us plus approx $24 us air parcel shipping
Thats about $110.00 Australian

Steve

Yea I've just been looking at that.
Very tempting Smile Smile Smile
What do you think Steve reckon you can get better or should we seriously consider buying this?
Only thing that worries me is the esc sitting outside the cockpit like that.
Guess it would help to keep it cool but looks like not as much room in fuselage as yours

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Thanks ...... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Someones trash is anothers treasure.
Picked this up during work today out at moorebank industrial area.
Now what could i make out of this stuff.
One big Cessna or Funjet or ?

Oooh! The possibilities...

If Kev has any high torque buggy's left:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo80qJRHZ8I[/youtube]

That looks like a lot of fun, and quite hard too.
No need for arresting wires on that flight deck. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

paulj Wrote:That looks like a lot of fun, and quite hard too.
No need for arresting wires on that flight deck. Smile

lol ... whats wrong with aresting cables! and we worry about a couple of power wires and a flood zone Smile

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKGV-0-74FI[/youtube]

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Makes the flight field seem easy. Biggrin

Quick post of inners of Stryker motor.

Found the burnt out windings, was hoping it was only the insulation resistance.
Oh well i have a nice Straight Shaft from the Motor as a spare Wink Kieren.

The Rebuild started today after the soccer game.
Wasn't to Hard after all the First time is the hardest and i have all the gear to go, from the carnage .
(Except for Battery :!: , i wonder how that went)

Looking good already,
No doubt about you, no mucking around get right back into it. Smile
Wind was a bit too strong today so we only had limited flying time.
Even Kieran's stryker got buffeted around up there.
We were all packed up and gone before midday
Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

It was quite windy today even at my daughters soccer game.

Hopefully might get a flight in on Thursday afternoon before i go away, if not to windy.
Give the A-10 a Flight

Weighed the A-10 before coating with clear gloss polyurethane without battery ## 647 grams##

Will give it a weigh after second coat to see actual extra weight added with coatings as i think you need two good coats for the finish as one is still a bit streaky.

First Coat done, Tommorow second coat and away she goes

All up 3.5 hours to rebuild the New A-10

Got home from work today and found my Funjet motor came in today that i ordered last week to give a Test out.
A quick Mod to fit and Wow Biggrin
Shes Got Some Power, Really need to Give this Motor some Air Time 8-)

Just weighed the A-10 after two Coats.
A-10 with two Coats added an Extra 30 grams of weight. Smile
Thats about 15 grams per coat.

Going to give it another coat or two Wink

hey nice vid steve, i wondered about that motor, i saw it the other day and had concerns over the heatsink increase in diamater, do you also have this one on the way? .. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=4201 if you do and it comes can you do a comparison vid for us mate.. Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi All

Spent some time Last Night and this afternoon to carry out a few projects i have been working on Lately

Project 1

New Carry Bag with a difference, as i like the idea that i can strap a bag over the shoulder for a walk down the field with the added bonus of complete recharging bay system, similar to Kierans Bag.

Mitre 10 had these Warner bags for $29.95 Wetherill Park stacks of them.
With 22 amp Battery, Bigger than 18 amp in portable charger i used normally. From my work stuff that i never use any more,
12 volt socket for $9.00 super cheap.
Double sided case to slide in bottom compartment $12-00 super cheap.
Plenty of space for battery's to fit and gear inside.

Project 2

Modifications to One of my Spare Island Hopper wings

Flaps Added to my existing wing which had my Gyro installed for heavy wind flying conditions.