Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

lol craziness, what about run them both at the same time for maximum speed and thrust .. one track mind. 8-)

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Lol Kev

yeah i like to be different :ugeek:
Decided to Install in on The Jetiger as Fitted the motor off A-10 to it and now it draws mega amps and lot more thrust after actual test of levels in Jetiger.
So it would be nice to Have Folding prop at Front that Draws bugger all to Fly the Jetiger and switch between the two.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I think you'll really hurt the Tiger CoG doing that, The Stryker is more forgiving and the skyfun is probably more forgiving again and has more of the room you need.

You are probably right Kieran Good Thinking.
Jetiger has not much give in the COG area Especially now that i have to have a bigger lipo to support the Bigger edf motor.
So The added weight will give me grief.

Don't want to touch the Funjet as i have that Flying Perfectly now.

With a spare nose cone on Stryker i could do it on that as i can always just replace the nose cone and its back to Stock STD, But I might re think the whole concept a little more.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi All
With Some left salvageable left over Bits From my Old Funjet Frame
1 Hour in the Garage Tinkering with my Son and this is What i come up with Lol

Steve Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Project X only photos of part build unfortunately did not take footage or photos of Maidens.
Parts i bought before Xmas of body,tails,ailerons,mounts individually from us ebay, model flight added up to about $80.00, body was the hardest to find with $21.00 us but finding someone to ship from US with cheap freight was difficult but did eventually.

Did not maiden too well though it flew it was a bit of a hand full, i think mainly due too so much weight i added to front with motor and the heap of counter weight i needed for to put to the back.
First launch to ground not enough power.
Second launch several erratic circuits control was not as i would of expected.
Third launch up and down.
Research on tractor prop on stryker, found only couple of people have posted doing this with one post saying after flying that it was not a great idea and flying with pusher prop was the better of the two.

Retired idea and retro back to pusher after nose repair from third launch.
When i get Motor mounts from Group Hobbyking order will Fit Scorpion motor on for wild Speeds.
At the Moment have Turnigy hxt b2835 2700kv which they say goes ok.

Gday Steve

Interesting idea, shame it did not work out to your satisfaction, the extra weight would have certainly added to the wing loading, also the propwash would have been taking a most unusual and undesirable path over that big delta wing, all the disturbed airflow would have created your up and down fun as the elevons would have had some pretty weird airflows over them quite different from the undisturbed (and significantly slower) airflow when the prop is behind them. When you think about it having the prop located centrally at the rear would be pulling a nice fast and smooth layer of air over the delta root and fuselage and would give heaps of stability. Having said that I wonder if you could have a motor on the front and back contrarotating?
That'd rip for sure and also probably sound quite unique.

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Just a Photo of Custom motor mount for Stryker to accommodate for all types of motors that I'm going to trial in the future.

Scorpion motor off Funjet mounted and did a test flight at the park Today, Just like the Funjet speed, Though i noticed a couple of things.
Handling at high speed was a bit nerve racking though at low speed it glides and landings an ease, no nose wobbles on this frame cg is spot on.

Where as Funjet was easier to handle at high speed but low speed was more difficult due to weight and cg more nose heavy..

Might just need TX Adjusting controls, Trims Etc for High Speed.

Steve Smile

Looking good Steve.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Few Custom Decals added To Stryker To Liven it Up a bit.

Love the Crash head Dummy "Another Day Another Test"

Steve Smile

Hi all

Rod was Asking what type of setup would power his F-18 Blue Angels EDF Plug-n-Fly RC Jet from hobby king as it was a bit sluggish on maiden but improved with 40 c rhino 2250ma 11.1v battery.
It appears that the motor in the f-18 is similar to Jetiger stock but 4300kv and as i experienced it did not like 4s lipo as i burn't stock motor out after about 6 flights even with throttle management.

Here is my Jetiger Specs that i currently using, 4 min max flight running 4s lipo and running motor over stated current i think as it does not specify max current and it seems to be holding strong after many flights, ( full throttle management being used )
But Flys fast and well at about half throttle which i reckon is about 40 amps

JETIGER - 571 GRAMS WEIGHT PLUS 220 GRAMS FOR LIPO BATTERY TOTAL WEIGHT 791 GRAMS
BATTERY - 14.8 V 1800MA 40C LIGHTMAX
SPEED CONTROLLER - TURNIGY 80 AMP
DUCTED FAN - 64MM 7 BLADE DESIGN HIGH STRENGTH HOBBY KING.
MOTOR SPECS -
Model : D2830-4000
Airplane Class : 740-1060g
KV (rpm/v) : 4000
Voltage (v) : 11.1-14.8
No Load Current (A): 2.6±0.2 @ 11.1v
No Load Speed (rpm) : 43500±5%
Load Current (A) : 28.0@11.1v
40.0@14.8v
Load Speed (rpm) : 39300@11.1v | 49900@14.8v
Recommended ESC : Turborix Advance 60A ESC
EDF : 64mm
Pull (g) : 740-1060g
Weight : ~77.0g
Packaging Weight : 115g

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RC-R-c-Plane-Jet-...19b4c604e3

Actual tests with wattmeter and thrust test after 15 sec on full throttle -

14.8volts ###67 amps###1013 watts###830 grams thrust

11.1 volts ###52 amps###592 watts###630grams thrust Which i haven't yet test flown with 3s as more power on 4s is Icon_twisted

The edf that i am using with 7 blades is strong unit but seems to up the amps quite a bit and i think a 6 blade version would be more efficient but finding a strong edf as the stock 64mm unit was too flimsy.

Steve Smile

Attached Files
.jpg Motor.jpg Size: 16.23 KB  Downloads: 544

Hi all

Found out some interesting stuff regarding scorppion motors that i love using.
They do cope well with 4s lipos as i found out on website selling plane that im considering to buy in the near future actually uses the same motor 2221-8 that i was using in Funjet.
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=1&id=164#

So i have decided to do a few custom changes to Stryker setup.
One is carbon rod accross middle.
and Ailerons made from balsa.
But Not sure how to attach Balsa ailerons to stryker frame,
I was thinking of ca hinges might be the way to go or should i go for pivot hinged round hinges
How many to fit ? etc

If it were a normal Stryker, CA Hinges might be ok but for your speeds, go with 4 pivot hinges in each control surface, make sure they're really glued in well Wink A trick I learned from Darren is cover the hinge points in oil or grease first so you don't inadvertently glue them!

Also considering the speeds, double check the foam surrounding your servo's that its not going to compress under the torque of the servo's at high speed.

Thanks Kieran

Thats a good idea with the grease up of hinges prior to glue, it has happen to me before.

motor calc software info for scorpion -
2221-10 motor calc 46 amp 5x5 prop 268km on 4s thats the motor on Stryker at moment
2221-8 motor calc 70 amp 5x5 prop 294km on 4s motor that was on funjet

Steve Smile

Stryker Balsa Ailerons Attached with Three large plastic Flat Hinges Dubro cat no 116
Steve Smile

Had a chance to maiden Stryker with the new Balsa Aileron setup before the wind picked up and weather changed..
Wow I really didn't think it would make flying such a difference, but i was wrong.
It was Amazing response and smooth whatever the speed i was going, and i think the added width of the balsa aileron
improved its gliding maneuverability. Biggrin Biggrin

Steve Smile

good job steve, for a second i glanced and thought you had installedthe biggest ailerons known to man! Lol

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Did a quick Flight with 4 cell lipo Earlier Today, Decided to Install Speedo this afternoon so i can see how fast its going, as it wasn't slow flying this morning. Wink

PANTHER DF-032 SOLVED
I have Solved the One man hand Launch and its Perfect and does not affect Flying performance and is as Easy as hand launching the F27c Stryker and Jetiger i have.
Don't Know why i didn't think of it before all i need to do now is give it a nice re coat of paint to belly and no more mishap launches.

Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

Plenty of Pictures showing How, I hope this Helps Anyone who purchases the Panther DF-032 in there one handed hand launch.

Samste Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

You may actually get extra performance by going though to the intake ahead of the fan, At zero airspeed, the intakes aren't always enough to provide maximum air to the fan. Adding "cheater" holes is a common solution to this problem.

good one steve.
Although watching you yesterday it looked like you had just
about mastered the launch with just the rings.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Steve,

I don't like to make holes in its belly. So, I use a piece to foam to make a grip. I think it works but will prove only when I fly it next time. If you plan to go down the field on Monday, please let me know.

Colin

That looks Good Colin, Hopefully it shouldn't affect flight Characteristics as its may or may not cause extra drag on underbelly of plane, Though I'm not an Expert in this field, Thats why i chose cutting into belly of plane to minimize any flight affects that my altering of Plane design would cause.

Steve Smile

Gave the Stryker a fresh coat of Paint and Polyurethane coat as its Running Real nice now with the Fast Scorpion Motor, and the new Master Airscrew prop That came in makes a huge Difference to Sound And Speed Icon_twisted .

Samste Smile

Saw Some stickers Today i Liked.

A bit of Cutting of the Stickers and paint the Rudder Flat black

Steve Smile

Hi All

Victor i use the Following Paint for All My Planes.
Fluorescent colors are the best, Paint cost about $12.00 a can i usually buy two for a spray of back of plane , wings etc and have a bit left over for touchs later.
I seal always with the polyurethane sealer taht ive posted previously.

I have Temporary Retired The island Hopper With Trainer Transmitters and Replaced it with My Old Glider Re vamped a Much easier learning plane for my son and something differnt for anyone who wants a fly down at the Field with the trainer buddy transmitters or alone. used 1.5 cans for wings, 1/2 can for tail

Steve Smile

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the advice. At the moment I am working of the Trojan since it had quite a few structural weaknesses. I ordered a new Fuselage and a wing but the wing came in white. This is the reason that I need a good coloour for the wings to make it visible otherwise I think that I have is almost down pat. All it needs is for Darren to hone it into flying condition to make things easier.
Thanks again

Smile

Gday All

Ingo This is the Brand you are looking for at Office works, Not sure if you found it Today or not ?

Steve

P.s Remember to give it a coat afterwards with Polyurethane clear coat you can use BOYLE matt spray Finishing sealer from Bunnings in a spray can on sticker only. before you cut and stick on.

My Big Lipo Has Come In For My Large Cessna 182 The Cg Is Perfect Now on Plane as it was before to tail heavy.

Lipo weighhs a ton and longer flights are possible now

Took her up This afternoon with the other little modification that i will post In video clips steerable Tail wheel.
viewtopic.php?f=1&p=2189#p2189

Flew Very Nice and Glided Beautifully

Steve Smile

Thanks Steve, I did find it, thanks again

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big