Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Built an Extension that can slip on and off the existing pad ends for those Funjets that need that extra launch pad to take off

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

You D man Steve, I will look forward to using your clever piece of equipment as soon as I finish my new twin rig fun jet.
Can you tell me what the measurement is rail to rail, the twin could foul on the rails.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(04-11-2011, 07:55 PM)gbanger Wrote:  You D man Steve, I will look forward to using your clever piece of equipment as soon as I finish my new twin rig fun jet.
Can you tell me what the measurement is rail to rail, the twin could foul on the rails.
Gazz

Gazz the clearance 410mm wide from inside edge of the two conduits.

So if anyone wants to use the launch pad they are more than welcome, i have found with my Stryker Q and 27c it has underside fins so there is no chance of blade hitting side if it decided to skew sideways these fins are only about 200mm apart.
Skyfun Funjet has no underside fins so if you wanted added safety, just in case the plane skewed on launche pad during take off just glue a couple of small control horns to underside.
The distance apart would have to be more than your prop clearance and no more than 400mm apart, Suggest approx 250mm apart would be just fine as its there only as a guide if the plane decides to skew on take off.

.jpg images.jpg Size: 5.31 KB  Downloads: 805

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Jason This isthe Polyurethane water based Stuff that i use to give my planes a gloss finish and easy to keep clean as well as a stronger shell.

I use this stuff to when i apply the glass cloth when glassing.
I light coat on the body, while wet apply glass cloth so it stays wher you want it and then apply on top.

I use super thin cloth which creates a strong rigid shell but very light.
i double up where i want extra strength.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=10905

Thxs for helping with filming of Glider too, Its Like new again. Biggrin

Steve

Flyjet X-83 Pusher or 64mm EDF 830mm (KIT)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=18252

After my Not so Good First hand Launch Of The Flyjet which Darren Pointed out that it possibly a RX or Tx Issue. We Pin Pointed that it was a Fault AR500 Spektrum Rx Causing the Twitches of control surfaces.
After Replacing The Rx it Flew For the Second Time and went Great not super fast but Ok. Third Flight i found that the Edf blade Decided to give way and brought it down. was running a crappy 3 blade 500 watt unit.

I have Now Gave it a Mini Make over as the colors before were a little hard to see and gave it a 64mm edf 7 blade 4000 kv 4s 80 amps 1100 watts setup that will make any lipo run for the hills Wink

Took it for a test Flight this afternoon and what can i say it moves verrrrrry Quick easy 100mph plus on a fly by. I could not get rid of the big smile i had after the Flight, and i thought my Jetiger i had ages ago was Fast.

Flight time is now reduced to 3-4 minutes But thats a small Price to pay for SPEED.

nice work steve , im liking this for the price for sure Smile
oh hey and i forgot to mention after you left i was hip deep in the reeds looking for a canopy of dads.. i didnt find it but i did come out with your "glider" wing, dad has it atm , it failed from the rear of the wing perhaps some bolts there or something ripped out.. anyway no sign of the lawn dart section of the "glider" some brown snake probably ran off with it Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Here is a clip giving Tips in hand launching park pusher jets

http://youtu.be/PRVXAw6mqXQ

Some Interesting points he makes, Must give it a Try on the weekend.
Still like the self contain bungee launcher setup, that's a goer.

http://youtu.be/R_j7UwyuT14

She flies fantastic and quick on 4s 8 blade 76mm but it just needs to go a little faster with something like this that just got delivered.
Only Down fall it's Noisy running 3200kv as this 8 blade unit is not the best build very cheap quality.

90mm 12 blade 1850kv 5s/6s you little beauty

Steve Biggrin

Hope it goes as fast as you want Steve
but reports are not great.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Thumbs Up 

It was probably fast enough with the 76mm edf but it was really noisy compared to my silent hobbyking funjet 70mm setup.
Thats the Reason for giving the 90mm edf a whirl for a quieter sound and as well its my old Stryker frame pusher prop thats had its nose a little creased from launch attempts without power that i dont mind trashing if it dont work.

Just Did a Bench Test Run with all Fitted Now To Stryker.

Great Sound and Quiet Too
Specs... 90mm 12 blade edf with 1850kv motor

4s Lipo 980 watts and 65 amps easy pulls its own weight pulling out of my hands.

5s lipo 1400 watts and 80 amps so much thrust coming out and still very quiet.

Does Sound Nice the Big Edfs Smile

Stryker F27 EDF

have you seen the stinger from HK ?

Wingtipper brought one over to show me the other evening and I was super impressed!!

I was wondering if a stinger might be a candidate for a good working over

here's a link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=19731

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Great Steve,
I haven't bench tested mine yet as I'm waiting on the esc's
coming. I like the figures you quote and it gives me confidence that
they will do the jobs I'm after.
Look forward to seeing/hearing it on the weekend hopefully. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

(12-03-2012, 08:42 PM)secant0give Wrote:  have you seen the stinger from HK ?

Wingtipper brought one over to show me the other evening and I was super impressed!!

I was wondering if a stinger might be a candidate for a good working over

here's a link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=19731

I reckon Jason Your better off with the Meteor if you want to Give it a Make over on its Power setup as it would take the extra weight a lot better i think.
Meteor link
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=20401

Paul i didn't go the stock setup for my edf setup as they suggest a 1400kv motor where as i went the 1850kv motor.
Not Sure which motor kv your using.
I decided this as the 1400kv they suggest is twice as heavy as the 1850kv i used, and i wanted to try and keep the stryker light as possible. So 5s would be max sport flying and 4s stock flying (balances out well for 4s but)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=15432

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=22070

Steve
I have gone for the middle ground so to speak.
Mine is 1600Kv will put a 100ap ESC in with it.
Just waiting for a delivery of the esc's then I'll bench test it and see
how it goes.
I did not get mine from Hobby King, instead I bought from Phillip at
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/cP...928ba948b2
Total cost including delivery was Au$73.50.
Delivey was less than a week from order date.
I highly recommend him as I have dealt with him a few times now and
his service is excellent.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

wow thats a great link PAULJ . my cessna is in there for $75 . 1.4 metre span .
i also like the ESC's they have in stock .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Paul you will Love the 90mm 12 blade edf, Just came back from a maiden and cannot stop Smiling and that was on 4s.
It Sounds so Good and so much Thrust Thumbup

I reckon 5s Setup on yours will be more than enough and 6s will be hotted up version.

Steve Biggrin cannot stop Smiling Biggrin

p.s As for noise level way way under 80db Thumbup

Great that's what I was hoping you would say Steve.
Looking forward to seeing yours on the weekend.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Just Got My 5s zippy 40c 50c burst 2200ma
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=18524

Bench Tested on Plane 92 Amps 1698 watts
Swapped out Speedy as its 80 amp/90amp burst to 100amp speedy
Bench tested on Plane 94 amps 1798 watts

Steve Smile

It's going to go like like smoke now !!

(16-03-2012, 06:32 AM)secant0give Wrote:  It's going to go like like smoke now !!

Nearly Finished the Finished Version Parkzone Stryker f27c 90mm 5s 12 Blade EDF Setup.

Just need to fit Ailerons and trim up Controls. Added extra carbon Rods that proto type did not have along Bottom near Ailerons.
Used heavier Gauge Fiberglass matting over wing edges and mount area.
Alluminium mount Brackets for Edf Fixing where Fixing is for Edf.
Nut and bolt edf in Place as its currently glued in to minimse noise vibration as i notice in protoype it made a big difference if edf is One with the Plane.

I love the sticker the kids had with Tas Holding on For Dear Life i thought was appropriate.

Steve

[/align]All Finished, Now Rain Piss Off so i Can fly This Weekend.

Steve Smile

Nice bit of work Steve - it should be better than the prototype version, since it's all new, light and slick!
Blacktown looks the right sort of place to strap it out :-)

Steve Murray

Geez that looks shmick

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(23-03-2012, 03:34 AM)wingtipper Wrote:  Geez that looks shmick

Thanks,

Had to Give it a maiden this Morning Too make sure all Is Good For the weekend.

It Flies So Nice and Smooth.
The Old Frame was a little twisted,Battered and Ailerons where warped and way out of whack when i glue hinged them in. Though it still flew ok, But you Really Notice the Difference when you Set Up a New Plane and you Iron all The Kinks Out that you know need Doing and get them Right. Biggrin

p.s This Morning's Maiden I Made Sure i did not go lower than i Think 4 metres from Ground, could have been 3 metres.

Steve Smile

Nice work!!
Look forward to seeing it in action!

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

So steve whats your final amp draw?
On the F100 I'll be using 6s battery just wondering what
esc I will need.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

(23-03-2012, 08:14 PM)paulj Wrote:  So steve whats your final amp draw?
On the F100 I'll be using 6s battery just wondering what
esc I will need.

You will need a 100amp Esc in it, I using this From Hobbyking and it Works nice had it fro a long Time when i Ran my High Amp Skyfun Setup as This Sucker Peak Bursts At 150 amps Icon_twisted.
Mine is in a great position as it air cooled in its exposed Position at the rear hatch area just in front of the Edf, So it Comes Down Cool.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...s_ESC.html

I reckon you will be Very Close to 90 amps full throttle.

Heh Paul you won't be Disappointed with This Edf its really really Nice, Don't Tell anyone but I love it so much i bought another one to keep in my box of goodies.

Steve

well steve what was your setup on that striker, one of these edf's (90mm) on a styker 100amp esc and what batteries? just curious but i wont tell anyone Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Nice Steve I have everything I need now to finsh off 5
new projects. You watch what happens now, the rain will go away
and plenty of sunshine and it will be too good for me to build Smile
Got that many boxes here at home now that I can hardly move in my building room.
Pat is on my back to get things moving.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6