Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

All Radio Control Equipment info Tips and Help

Just got my Kingmax T810 2.4GHz with 4 recievers

Looks like its going to be a learning experience setting up, any tips :?:

King Maxs Manual link http://bidproduct.com/part/kingmax%208ch...%20rev.pdf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf Similar King max Manual.pdf Size: 810.39 KB  Downloads: 1,184

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Looks interesting, the casing is a nice copy of JR PCM-9X and the software looks like its the same as the imax 2.4ghz unit.

The manual is a bit confusing but there is quite a bit of depth in the programming there for you, there is plenty of potential for you to be setting nice endpoints for your servos or mixing in expo to smooth out your inputs. Have fun!

Steve, sorry I can't help you with your setup of the radio but
I'm glad that you have started this thread.
Perhaps someone can point me to somewhere where I can learn a bit about
setting expo ,dual rates and endpoints etc.
At the moment it's like a alien language to me.
For instance, my Cessna is set up under D/R&Expo as Aile 0 100% +60%
Elev 0 100% + 60%
Rudd 0 100% INH.

what does all that mean? I'm guessing that it's setting the range from 0 to 100% but what is +60% and why?
Also, why is rudd set 0 to 100% INH? why is that not +60% or some other value too?
Spektrum manual shows how to set these up but does not explain what they do.

I'm sure there must be lots of people like me who would like to know about these settings.
If anybody has any good links to some reading material please let us know.
thanks

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

radio looks nice steve but like dad i can offer no advice, i have the dx6i but have not even read the manual yet.. im off to the snow tomorrow morning but will be looking to get my rx in the trojan and begin setting up for the weekend after when i plan on being down the field from 9 untill all day Biggrin

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

The unfortunate thing with the DX6i is that while it has the options, the visualization of the options is terrible.

What you have there is:
No dual rates set up on any control throws
100% end to end throw on all Servo's
60% Expo on the Aileron and Elevator which is a gradual curve of less travel in the centre regions of the sticks out to full movement at the extreme regions

Pretty much all these options come down to personal preference.

There are 2 schools of thought to go with:
Darren will suggest absolutely no exponential control (meaning full linear control of the control surfaces) but reducing the amount the servo moves to be only what is necessary to fly the plane. Roll servo's for example may only require 40% of normal throw to give a controllable roll rate. Elevators might only need 60%

Kieran will suggest having 100% control surface movement available for maximum turn and burn action and extreme situations. To counteract what would be a very twitchy plane I put large amounts of exponential to dull the movements in the centre regions of the control stick.

Nothing stopping you having a combination of both!
Horses for courses...

Hi Kieran
Quick Question Ive done a basic setup of my island hopper thats all fine.
I'm in process doing fun jet do i set up as std park flyer or delta and flying wings setting ?
as in delta and flying wings all controls seem to do weird things.
I understand if your not sure ill keep trying trial and error , just interested in setup on your stryker.

Thanks

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

You would set it up as delta wing as per the manual, You may need to reverse one or both of the servos to make it work right though.

--Edit--
Your unique flying style might make things tricky, will have to look into that.

I Did It Cool Thanks Kieran It was like you said , Reversing Ail and Ele and Mix function.
Yes I had to swap server plugs from channel 1 to channel 2 to make my elevator function work the way Ive learned
Thank you Smile

With antenna should it stick out to side or underneath ?-

Steve

The antenna's on those units are different from Spektrum and Futaba RX's. I would just try and make it as straight as possible with as little possibility of shadowing behind metal or EMR sources. Same as 36 stuff. Down one wing would be good

All Planes done, Basic setup that is no curves or end points yet Brain is to fried after tonights reading and programming .
Will leave that for Tomorrow Nights project.

Thanks again kieran for your help

good to hear you got it sorted, once its dialled in i imagine the funjet will be a dream compared to the touchiness i saw it had on the old radio! Shock

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hey Stephen, I came home and scowered the manual, the only thing that might be close that I didn't think to check is that the throttle cut switch MUST be in the center when radio is turned on, not down or up like I would have been trying. Give it a shot... But still get a Spektrum Wink

Code:
1)   Befor turning on your transmitter, make sure the throttle on the lowest position, switch D/R to position “1” and IDLE to position “N”.

Still no joy Tried nearly everything ,did notice that it still has the models stored so reseting doesn't seem to work or i haven't done it properly.
Just got back flying at the oval next door to me to make sure that all working with old transmitters very windy, but no carnage thankfully.
I Sent and email to supplier for feedback, at least if i can get it to work again i can sell on ebay or if they will refund.

Just got home from soccer picnic and received email from king max tx company in china, which i didn't expect back as its the weekend.
It read
Quote:sorry sir for your trouble but stick throttle not calibrate check % and calibrate this is sophisticated unit
send more email if more problem. good wishes

Sure enough I'm the dill i must of muck up the settings while doing the curve settings by accident.
Page 18 , section 13 Stick calibration and stick mode fixed it.

Works well now just need to calibrate curve settings and stuff now.

Ive actually read and studied the manual and understand the curve point features now.
Its a 5 point system 0% 25% 50 % 75% 100%are the stock standard point makers of the curve and then the curve follows these 5 points for the stick control.
So what is the recommended curve for all controls ail,elev,rudd,throt, I'm thinking 0% 12% 25% 50% 100% to make control less twitchy.

Steve

Glad you got it all worked out Steve.
So what do you reckon? Still going to buy a Spektrum?
Maybe you won't need to now and you can put the money to better use ( new planes) Smile
Any news on the funjet purchases? Think you will have a few buyers from the club. Wink

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I think I'm going to keep The king max as it quite a good unit once you understand the programming, and i have 4 receivers with unit. Will update to spectrum maybe a little later when i have extra cash. extra planes sounds good though
I just finished some modifications to the unit pictured below.
One was to tighten the throttle stick as it was too loose, as i like a stiff throttle stick up/down.
Second mod was to keep my family happy as they had evil eyes Icon_evil as i have been playing around with the unit
and the beeps and buzz from unit is quite irritating after a while.
So i installed a on/off switch for sound on Tx.
Everyones Happy Smile now.

As for fun jets placing order tomorrow, will post cost and type complete and body.

nice work on the switch mate.. very professional Wink

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi Guys

Get My New DX7 Tomorrow but was wondering can i use a 3s lipo TX pack in unit as i have a couple of 2500ma 3s transmitter packs from my old TX unit but i read somewhere they don't recommend using lipo in DX7 etc as they have high Voltage.

But I read elsewhere people have been using for ages no problems at 12.6 volts.

Others say when Charging use storage charge so lipo only charges to 11.4 volts and you won't have any issues then

But they all say nmh batteries are crappy.

Other are modding units ?

??????????????????????????????ConfusedConfusedConfused

Steve

General consensus is that the voltage regulator is up to the task of 12+ volts. Some units have come with regulators rated for 20 and some people have modded there's to have better regulators.

I would advise against short charging because when lipo's fall off the discharge cliff, they go dead very quickly.

Thanks kieran

I am going to be a annoying person the next few weeks as i learn how to do this and how to do that.

Forgive Me im only a boy with new toy

As i have now in my hands the Dx7 and have done my first model install
Stryker - 60% expo on aileron and elevator i hope thats ok as it does look similar to what i had on kingmax but that was a point curve only.

Not Happy with throttle as a slight up movement of toggle engages motor can i do a expo on throttle ? or something or is it some sub trim thing ?

Now Can any one tell me how to mute the beep every time i press buttons, or do i need to do a kingmax mod with on/off switch ?

Steve Smile

DX7 MUTE SWITCH MODIFICATION

Approx 30 min project with meal breakWink

1.Removing back cover and pc boards to access buzzer module.
2. Desolder one side of buzzer module pin from pc board.
3. soldert one wire to disoldered pin.
4. solder other wire to were pin was originally soldered.
5. slight bit od tape between buzzer and pc board for insulation from original connection
6. fit switch to side of reciever and expoxy to postion
7. screw cover back on and presto on/off switch for sound.

Some Pictures but there not clear as i should have clean the lens on camera.

Steve Smile

Did you have a look at the voltage regulator while you had the back off?

No I Forgot to look, i have read that people are removing and fitting bigger regulators to cope with 12.6volt lipos as running with lipo as is at full voltage causes unnecessary build up of heat to Regulator and pc board that could cause issues.
I am not game to start soldering on the pc board that does all the tx signaling etc with all those highly sensitive electronic components and then to put heat next to them (CRAZY).
In saying That heaps of people are doing it with great success and if done carefully it works.

Though for me De soldering one pin on buzzer that is on the small pc board with only power switch on it is very safe and has no components near or on that board that could be affected by heat and that mod is great for me as i like to tinker at night and i can mute the buzzer, so not to annoy anyone.

So i have bought myself one of these instead the safe option
http://www.aprohobbies.com/lipo-stepdown...p-263.html

OK Had a maiden Flight With Transmitter.

Was A hairy event as i launched It i found myself in somewhat of a situation trying to control a twitchy as all hell plane with the slightest movement, it was all over the place.
A long 10 sec later i hard landed the plane.

Scratching head and thinking why did i buy this crap with 60 % expo in aileron and elevator i would have thought it would have been fine.

Then my eyes glance at the aileron toggle dual rate switch, bugger me it was on 1. and elevator dual rate toggle was off.
Switched off aileron dual rate toggle and away i went.
Much more enjoyable flight exhausting the battery after 10 minutes of flying.

on my king max it would beep like all hell when you turned on TX and switch was in dual rate position.
Would of thought that the dx7 would have a similar system or maybe i just need to remember to check the rate toggle switch prior to flying
- or set the rate switch same as off position
- or is there a disable feature or alarm feature ? available

I sought-ed out throttle curve in sub trim added +60 and help with dead off position

Range tested straight up/up/up and it was fine.

No alarms for Dual rates, I don't know any radios that do that. I just always default my switches as off or away from me and its now the first thing I do when I pick up any radio... 2nd nature.

Yes the king max has alarms when you turn on if dual rates has been activated or throttle rate 123 toggle.
Here is some investigation to mysterious dead zone i had with stryker prior to the Transformation to DX7

ESC 80amp i replaced i checked appeared ok.

Pulled RX apart and dead zone written all over it.

At least i have comfort in Knowing now what the issue was and know that the tx is fine and all other planes with rx worked fine and this is the reason for the strange behavior with stryker on the last several flights i had.
BUT WOW I GOT SOME LONG RANGE WITH NO ANTENNA

BUT IM IN LOVE WITH MY DX7 AND ITS EXPO NOW AND AS FOR THE KING MAX IT WILL BE THERE FOR BACK UP OR AN EBAY JOB AS IT IS A GREAT UNIT ALL THE TIME EXCEPT FOR THE CRUDE POINT CURVE TO SIMULATE EXPO, BUT I MANAGED AROUND THAT OK.

Steve Smile

Looking at upgrading my spektrum dx7 Transmitter and really cannot decide on what one stick with spektrum or frsky or ?

So that being the case what do you guys think of this multiprotocal transmitter that will pretty much connect to any brand reciever 

https://www.banggood.com/Jumper-T8SG-V2_0-Plus-Hall-Gimbal-Multi-protocol-Advanced-2_7-OLED-Transmitter-for-Flysky-Frsky-p-1257102.html?rmmds=search&ID=42481&cur_warehouse=CN

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jumper-t12-v...black.html

https://www.modelflight.com.au/spektrum-...gJo4vD_BwE

There are politics at play with the Jumper radio with the firmware it is based off. It wont necessarily get as good support from the OpenTX team as FRSky does. My suggestion would be a FRSky Taranis with a Spektrum or Jumper module in it so you can fly anything...

(12-08-2019, 08:52 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  There are politics at play with the Jumper radio with the firmware it is based off. It wont necessarily get as good support from the OpenTX team as FRSky does. My suggestion would be a FRSky Taranis with a Spektrum or Jumper module in it so you can fly anything...

I’m with Kieran. OpenTX code is driven by FRSky aligned devs. Taranis seems likely to offer option on balance as a result.