Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ESC Testing

Interesting videos on ESC testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7jewAN1dTw&list=UU7lc_DFDwD3wDHd-ixH1gfA&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKN18ZTqoag

Yes very interesting !!
I like the idea of using the fets instead of the flywheel diode. makes sence with the on resistance of the fet being much lower that of a diode. The drama I can see there is accurite switching. Did you notice on the Cro trace there were quite large spikes on the rising edges of the switching wave form?
I'll bet that doesnt help either. Good electronics design would have that waveform nice and clean

The thing is, with Pylon it's all flat out, well mostly (90% of the time flat out running of the ESC). When they are run like that they don't have the PWM signal superimposed on the switching signal so that is not nearly as much of an issue. It's just the fets switching between the three phases
so the energy is dumped into the next set of windings via the two fets as it switched.

I know inductors don't like to be driven in one direction then another it takes power to change the field around and even more so if you drive the inductor far from resonance. It's like phically trying to make a pengelum swing faster than it's natural frequency by manually draging it back and forth rather than just keeping it going by adding a little energy at the end of each motion, like you do when pushing a child on a swing. I wonder if you could set up a motor so that when running flat out it would be on or close to resonance that would save a massive amount of power as you wouldn't have to dump anything much across a fet or a diode

Or even if you could make it close to resonant at the superimposed PWM frequency that would help a lot at lower than Max power settings and that frequency doesn't change with RPM so it would be resonant right through the range.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

What an awesome test setup!

Looks like the Castle is the pick for pylon, but that 25% current test is an eye opener - imagine 75-85%!? (which tends to be the worst regime for a speedie)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

I like the way he adjusts the load on the dyno using that pot connected to an array of Fets sitting in the plastic container of water. That is a classic !!

I wonder what the windex is for ?????

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

To clean the camera lens, silly!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!