Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wing Dragon Sportster 4

Through divorce I lost my equipment about 23 yeaqrs ago and I'm just reentering the hobby. I have an 8 year old grandson I want to get his wings and his dad is training for his multi-engine Jet License right now. So having wings like his dad and fossilized old grandpa. (Just for reference, mine are 1960s vintage Helicopter Crew Wings.) I am in need of a little advice.

I have been faux flying on the FMS Sim with the Beginair. It is the same pane as the Wing Dragon Sportster 4 Channel that I'm getting for Christmas this year. I've done a good bit of research and I see that one model flyer cured the high center of gravity tendancy to roll on landing and ripping the Horiz. Stab. off by building, from scratch a V-Tail and then using the former Rudder Channel for Flaps to slow the landing to a crawl.

What I have in mind is along the lines of the JN4 Jenny's wing loops on the bottom for training young and new pilots. From my personal training on the 'puter i have found about 10% throttle a solid cure to the roll axis wobble on touch down. My wife will not let me play until Christmas and as a result I have no way to design a working solution. I'm looking for thoughts and advise right now.

The JN4 Jenny is driving my thought process. The Jenny has bail loops under both wings but the WD only has the upper wing and I'm thinking that someting, mildly flexable, needs to be 2 to 4 inches from the wing tips and be about 1 inch from the runway. I'm going to apply a strip of 2 inch wide, heavy duty, Packing tape, clear, to the leading edge for minor strike protection and a strip of the same clear tape down the thick portion of the top and bottom for spar effect to strengthen and to deflex the wings.

Any thoughts or design proposals will be appreciated.

Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806 CE