Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Laser Attack!

So, when flying an aircraft at 250km/hr, with 250 people on board, 1200' above ground, less than 2 minutes from touchdown, the LAST thing any pilot (or passenger) needs is laser attack right into the eyes!!! That happened to me Thursday night into Melbourne when some imbecile decided to target several aircraft from about 2 miles away. I have seen many, very bright lights in my time, but NOTHING compares to the power of these little hand held beasts. Thank God we landed safely and my eyes are ok..Although a bit of a "gritty" feeling. We looked at Google Maps and narrowed the area for the Police and Feds to head towards...we can only hope & pray they get caught!

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Glad things turned out all right for the flight & your eyes. For the life of me I cannot think why people think that to be entertaining. Whether or not they think the laser light would just be annoying, not realising how potentially lethal it could end up, it is just no excuse & they deserve the maximum penalty or jail sentence as possible.

Shooting stars BB, glad you got the bird down ok. There are plenty of neanderthals around Tulla. You read about crap like that but you never think it will affect anyone you know. WRONG!!

JEEZ MATE . GLAD it panned out ok . i guess now i know that this really does effect pilots .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I recon they should hang 'em by the nads, pin back thier eyelids and light the morons up with a dozen 500 watt floodlights, see how they like it.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

That is just insanity!! I'm super glad your all OK. I hope they get them and make them pay dearly!!

There are some real nut jobs out there

Now I can understand the need for ARPANSA to regulate the power of small Lasers.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Not Good BB, glad you are ok, I can think of a multitude of things I would rather be focussing on at 2miles then some dimwit on the ground with the IQ of an oyster blasting me with a laser.
However, if you doubt my IQ rating of such people you may recall and incident, also in Melbourne I think where a moron decided to laser spot a helicopter. Should maybe have first noted that it was a police helicopter who promptly fired up the nitesun and directed ground personnel to dig him out from under some bushes where he was attempting to hide.
Now that's DUMB.

Cheers
Rob B

EDIT " hey BB, just had a thought, did all the cockpit coal dust diffuse the laser light, or, is that why your eyes were "gritty"?
FYI, in the playstation if we lose visual we hit x,x, square, circle, circle, L1, square, AKA autoland." Smile Smile

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

I have read this, I care and I am glad for your safety, Andrew but I won't comment further as I know it will end up being a tirade about stupidity and the de-evolution of our society that won't help any, only make me more angry.

Again, I am glad you put it down safe and can still see.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Thanks for your comments all, and for your suggestion Gazz, similar to what my wife wanted to do. I don't know if they have caught them or not..but judging by the mentality of these drop kicks they'll strike again..but the cops have a general area to search now. Anyway the eyes are all good thanks..well enough to see how often I have to take the antibiotics to kill this chest infection I just picked up! Grrr.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro