Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike!

Hi Steve
Got caught up at work till really late, and I dont think I will get a chance to get to Kellets to pick up the balsa I need for repairs so I will get the solar film off you this weekend.
Cheers Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yep - no worries Gazz, my cartage fees are extortionate but you'll probably manage it Wink
See you at the field,
Steve

Steve Murray

Gday Gazz

I have enough various balsa at home to potentially build the Kon-tiki Raft.
What do you need? I may have what you require.

Cheers
Rob B

Well thank you very much Mr Hayerdahl (Rob) for the offer.
I need 1 sheet of 2 mm x 100mm x about 1 meter
and 1 length of 4mm x 4mm x about 1 meter,
would appreciate it if you can help.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

G'day Gazz
I am up in bananaland at the moment when I get back to Syd I'll see if I have got what you need. May not have enough to do the whole job though in for that spec balsa.
Cheers
Rob b

Gazz - if Rob hasn't got what you need in stock, you'll probably find you can get it from within the "Craft" section at Bunnings (just don't let too many real tradies see you in that part of the store though!). You can usually find a good selection of block, sheet and strip cuts without going all the way to a hobby shop.

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve I'll check it out

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Was Wondering if anyone has a 12 inch prop with a 3-4 pitch to sell ?

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(21-05-2011, 08:42 AM)samste Wrote:  Was Wondering if anyone has a 12 inch prop with a 3-4 pitch to sell ?

Steve

I have a 13*4 your welcome to,
I owe you a prop Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(21-05-2011, 05:47 PM)secant0give Wrote:  
(21-05-2011, 08:42 AM)samste Wrote:  Was Wondering if anyone has a 12 inch prop with a 3-4 pitch to sell ?

Steve

I have a 13*4 your welcome to,
I owe you a prop Smile

I be Down Tommorow about 12 pm if you your Down There Jason, Ill Fix You up if you want.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

G'day KV
Would you be able to post the details of where you got your folding prop from for the tt siren? John jellyV and I are interested in getting a couple for our gliders.
John, I was talking with gazz about this and he suggested we have alook at esprit models in the US which is where he is getting all his hotliner stuff. Their prices and shipping are pretty good according to gazz
Cheers
Rob b

Rob, I sold my TT soaring star to Joe (Mister Twister). That needs a bigger prop as the standard one is still on it (but with a bigger motor). Might be good to include him on that too. He will need one. Current prop sounds mean enough but probably wouldn't pull a granny of a bed pan.

Peter Pine at http://www.flyelectric.com/ will help you out for all your Prop needs....

Gday Dave and kieran
Thanks for the info
I will liase with John and see what we come up with.
In regards to the soaring star I have made some major changes to the stock setup which I considered to be very substandard. Is Joe set up on the forums yet? I have some mods that are easy and add a lot of performance.
The stock folding prop is a waste of plastic IMHO
Cheers
Rob b

(23-05-2011, 06:50 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Dave and kieran
Thanks for the info
I will liase with John and see what we come up with.
In regards to the soaring star I have made some major changes to the stock setup which I considered to be very substandard. Is Joe set up on the forums yet? I have some mods that are easy and add a lot of performance.
The stock folding prop is a waste of plastic IMHO
Cheers
Rob b

No. Joe isn't on the forum to my knowledge. Having been away from planks for years now, I refered Joe to the plane experts for set-up and tricks.

Hi guys,

Where would I buy music wire? I've tryed searching a few hobby shops to no avail.

thanks.

Music Shop?? Tounge

Sorry I couldn't resist! Seriously though, maybe give a piano tuner a call and see if he has any scrap.

I found a reasonable supply at the model shop in West Ryde. They mainly play with railway stuff but happened to have a couple of sheets of lite ply and plenty of spring wire in different thincknesses.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

These people have some

http://www.parkepianostrings.com.au/about.php#music

They are in Frenches Forest and would probably put some in the post for you if you didn't want to drive out that way

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Ok guys need some education here please.
If I have a model with a large number of servos how do I wire
up a separate battery to just power the servos?
I believe(and I could be wrong) that if I was just using a separate battery
to power a single servo(eg.retract servo) all I need do is disconnect the power
wire of the servo that connects to the rx and connect the positive wire from the separate
battery directly to that servo.
However, if you want to power multiple servos from that battery how do you do that?

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Thanks will read closely.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

If you have a BEC with enough current, you could just plug it into the RX BATT port and power all the servos and the RX with the separate supply.

Powering some of the servos from a separate supply needs you to sharethe ground connection to ensure all the electronics has the same ground and disconnect the power wire. THe reason for this is that the signal to the servo comes from the receiver and is relative to the receiver ground. Unless they have a common ground, the servo will not "understand" the signal bcs it may not be at a level relevant to its own ground.

Much simpler with diagrams. If you specify the servos and power scheme, I could whip up a matching diagram.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260

Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm thinking of 2 differt setups.
First is my L39. I'll be using 2x4s (approx 10000mAh) batteries to power the
Stumax EDF.
Don't want to take any of that power and use for servos thus my question of
separate battery. I'll be running at least 8 digital servos plus navigation lights etc.

Second setup will be dual 70mm edf's each with their own escs and 4s batteries.
I expect it too will be running approx 6 servos and lighting system.
Again I would rather keep the motor batteries just for them and nothing else.

I'm only in the planning stage at the moment and looking for some possible solutions.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Hi Paul
I was runnings my big Seb Arts on stand alone BEC's, specifically so my motor batteries were only doing that, supplying power to the motor.
You only need to run a 2S battery to run your reciever. Most of the big helis also run the same setup. My Trex 600 was setup this way as well, so even if you kill your flight battery you have stand alone supply for your servos. Your 2S battery supply goes into the battery/bind plug, Once you plug a supply into that the electronics negate the throttle input that comes from your ESC.
I was running a 900mAh battery on my Ttrex 600 through an Align 5 amp BEC and that would give me at least 6 to 8 flights before needing a recharge.
Gazz
Hope this info helps

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

If you use a 2S and BEC or diodes for the voltage drop to the tolerance of your radio gear, you could jut pull the +ve (red) pin from your ESCs to be sure they aren't contributing in any way - just in case the circuitry of your receiver isn't as intelligent as Gazz's.

The "old fashioned way" of doing it was 4x AA NiCD batteries plugged straight into the receiver BATT port. These would need charging for each flight day and are far more inconvenient than a 2S lipo. Usually, a switch was added to the harness to then independently turn off the radio as it is no longer turned off when you unplug the flight/motor battery.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Another option: Try looking at LiFe batteries. I think they have similar discharge capacity to LiPos but don't have the high voltages which means they can be direct connected like NiCd. All our chargers support LiFe. That way you can drop the BEC which will have some weight saving as well as space saving.

.... Back to a few posts ago, thanks heaps Jason, I bought music wire from that place at Frenchs Forest, and now I've got HEAPS.

If anyone needs wire, .45mm for a pull pull system, please don't waste time and money trying to find some contact me first, I'm more than happy to share it 'round.

NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Was trying to enter New Model/Name on my Spektrum DX7. so that I could bind the rehabilitated Trojan

All of a sudden it started BEEPING and gaving me a Warning
reading of F.MODE.
I have tried everything I can think of but with no result.
Cannot find a "Troubleshooting" Section on the instructions either.

Can someone please advise how to get out of this one PLEASE

Smile

Flip all switches back. You've left the flight mode switch (The 3 position one) in the wrong spot

Gee Kieran that was fast!!!!!!!

It would also appear that when in the Model Name/Mode I must have pressed to many keys.

Thanks againSmileRedfaceRedfaceRedface

Smile