Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike!

Thanks Kev for the heads up, after flying Today I'm going to stick to the scorpion setup i have on it, as its a screamer, noisy but reliable and fast.
Couldn't help myself tonight as i love the fluorescent belly that i had to fluorescent the top. Biggrin

Samste Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

thats a nice looking styker steve, id be happy with that! definately would stay with the scorpion too, id love a scorpion motor for my funjet also if i wasnt saving for my habu. Wink

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Just a question about one of my Lipos. I fitted my 2.2 Turnigy to my Lark this arvo, gunned the motor during preflight and found that the revs were quickly dropping off, as if cutoff was happening and the battery is dead. (I must have forgotten to charge it, so I swapped to another battery). However, when I got home and put it on charge, I found it was at 12.6V and pretty much fully charged. Could it be faulty - at the end of it's life? I'll give it another go at the field - or maybe I should ground test it for power & duration first before I fly with it? Not a big deal - just interesting.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Depends on the Amp draw, the esc's will sometimes burst the amps and then back off to maximum rating. Then again it could be a dodgy cell.

I have a question regarding my cub. A few weeks ago I was down at the field after putting a new motor in it, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=4321 (TowerPro Brushless Outrunner 2408-21) with a 25amp ESC and 1.3 Amp lipo. At half throttle there was a squeak kind of sound and the motor stopped. A few of the guys came 'round and we were certain there was a vibration from the motor causing the ESC to cut out. When I finally pulled the thing apart, fair enough I thought I found the prob. A grub screw holding the motor shaft was loose so I tightened it, vibration fixed. After putting it back together I powered up and same prob. Maybe it's the ESC.... (?)

I changed the ESC with the same type(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Controller) but I there was no power at all. Surfaces worked but motor was dead. So I changed it with another ESC
(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Controller) I now had power to the motor again, but same prob as in the beginning, it would cut out as soon as it hit half throttle.

Before this motor I was using (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... r_2409-12T) and it screamed. I thought my new motor was less KV but after typing this and reading the data again, I was wrong. :?

I have epoxied a homemade plywood mount in the nose and my motor is pretty well stuck in there too, the only way to change the motor now is to cut the front of the plane off. I'll probaly have a snub nosed cub before long.

So is it the motor? could I have damaged my ESC's?
.... And it only happens with prop on.

p.s I tried different props too.

this afternoon, I made a small stick mount for this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=5427 (a motor I bought for a scratch build) epoxied it all nice and snug in the nose of my cub, SAME THING. The old ESC that stopped at half throttle did the same thing, the new esc that had no motor response at all again no response and the third ESC did the same as the first.

What the hell is going on???

Is it a setting in my radio?

Battery?

Sounds like you are having fun Wink

I would do a test on something that you know works.

And do the steps -
EG -
On you Cessna Plane check thats still working properly with radio.
If so then unplug Cessna motor and plug in micro motor and see if it works then this will give you the answer you are looking for hopefully
motor crook or not.
If Motor is good then you need to find out if its the esc's or Rx , Though you are only using one Rx i think from memory ? so more than likely its the Esc's

Also sometimes dry solder joints can be an issue with bullet connectors.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Could possibly be a timing issue, Will need to have a look/listen at the field

Dassault Alpha Fighter 70mm Ducted Fan EPO Plug-n-Fly

Specification:
Wingspan: 951mm
Length: 1282mm
Flying Weight: 1110g (39 oz)
Channel: 4ch
Motor: 2750kv Brushless Outrunner
ESC: 50A
Servo: 5 x 9g
EDF: 70mm
Battery compartment size: 150 x 46 x 33mm

Required:
Your own Tx & Rx
Battery 2200mah 14.8V 4S 20C

Good day Gary
The specs above are of the alpha thats on sale at Hobbyking though reading up about it they talk about they have changed motor and esc from the original batch.
I don't know if this is right or not you could check to see if your ESC is 50 amp or not.
Plenty of room to upgrade motor to a 3200kv or higher or 70mmm EDf With 7 Blade instead to either give that extra bit of grunt or super sonic power.
Just keep in mind you'll need to watt test it with any changes especially with a 7 blade edf makes a lot of difference to amps draw and thrust.

I'm actually thinking of retiring my Panther and Jetiger and investing in a alpha as from looking at it Today its nice Plane with loads of Potential Wink_smile

Hi guys,

Lately I've been thinking about fiberglassing foam (actually I've been dreamimg of buying one of these http://www.sbrcmodels.com/store/agora.cg...295*1e2je3&p_id=800&xm=on&ppinc=singlekits¤cy=currency2 later in the year). I've found a few instructional videos on youtube for fiberglassing balsa but not for foam. Would the foam have to be treated beforehand(?) and would I need a special type of resin for foam? Is it practical?

(08-07-2010, 02:17 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  Hi guys,

Lately I've been thinking about fiberglassing foam (actually I've been dreamimg of buying one of these http://www.sbrcmodels.com/store/agora.cg...295*1e2je3&p_id=800&xm=on&ppinc=singlekits¤cy=currency2 later in the year). I've found a few instructional videos on youtube for fiberglassing balsa but not for foam. Would the foam have to be treated beforehand(?) and would I need a special type of resin for foam? Is it practical?

Hi Arron,

talk to Paul Johnston he has fibreglassed foam & is pretty experienced to grab hints off.

Regards,

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

I've been trying to work out my key chain camera. It takes photos but does not record. Anyone else have this problem? I've been using windows media player.
I think mine's broken Frown

Your doing it wrong Wink

All the info you could ever want about the camera:
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

Thanks Kieran
I to have only been able to take photos with my camera.
With that said I hev been sooooo busy at work for the last few weeks each time I have sat down to fiddle with it Ive been to tired. So I have got frustrated and given up
Now I have this info I will see if I cant get the little sucker to record Video.
Thanks

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Anybody have experience glue the magnets in an outrunner motor? I just noticed a couple othe magnets in the motor of my Clound Fly were starting to work their way out the case.

Kevin B

Haven't tried that little exercise yet Kev - but I guess clean the surfaces and mix up some araldite. You'd probably have to remove the rotor first to get access (... and get another motor order ready, just in case).
See you tomorrow!

Steve Murray

Does anyone have a pair of Z Pliers for setting the ends of servo wires?
The wires that came with my Skyfun are way under size for what they are being asked to cope with.
I have bought some new heavier grade wires with control horn connectors but need a pair of Z pliers to bend the ends properly

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(25-08-2010, 06:29 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Does anyone have a pair of Z Pliers for setting the ends of servo wires?
The wires that came with my Skyfun are way under size for what they are being asked to cope with.
I have bought some new heavier grade wires with control horn connectors but need a pair of Z pliers to bend the ends properly

Wow i didn't know they made Them, Ive been using Electrician pliers and long nose plies to do the bending. may have to invest in a pair would make life easier,
Though The pliers trick seem to work ok just got to make sure the measurment is right before bending.

.jpg gpmr8025b.jpg Size: 5.96 KB  Downloads: 300

I can see these are easier as you bend right to the mark with guide under helping

Steve Smile

http://castlehillhobbies.com.au/componen.../Itemid,1/

'been thinking of buying some myself, these are a bit expensive though...

(25-08-2010, 10:02 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  http://castlehillhobbies.com.au/componen.../Itemid,1/

'been thinking of buying some myself, these are a bit expensive though...

... and for some reason Arron, these ones are less than half the price.
http://castlehillhobbies.com.au/componen.../Itemid,1/
I guess it would pay to look at them both up close.

Steve Murray

There are quite a few different sizes on the market depending on what size wire you need to bend.
I think I will buy the 40 dollars ones from Castle Hill hobbies.
Then I can rent the suckers out a a dollar a pop, before you know it I will be rich.
The question still stands......
Does anybody have a pair of Z pliers ?????

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't know if these are any better value.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=6283
Still pricy though
I use the home method eg. hold wire with normal pliers and bend with tip of long nose
pliers. Works quite well too

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

HK you are looking at $33 landed

With the stock 480 outrunner, 9.5 x 7.5 prop and Parkzone ESC, can someone tell me exactly what current draw they get at full throttle please?

I've got a bit of a problem trying to match two different transmitters such that I can get max motor output with both throttles on their maximum travel.

Cheers,
S

Steve Murray

(28-08-2010, 07:07 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  With the stock 480 outrunner, 9.5 x 7.5 prop and Parkzone ESC, can someone tell me exactly what current draw they get at full throttle please?

I've got a bit of a problem trying to match two different transmitters such that I can get max motor output with both throttles on their maximum travel.

Cheers,
S

Details
Stock T28 With Stock Prop, Motor, ESC Wattmeter Results

20.13 Ap #### 231.8 Watts #### 11.21 Vm

Remember every Lipo, Motor behave differently and in your case the Transmitter Trim Settings of Throttle may be different to each other,
As you are using two different Transmitters.

I wouldn't be to concern with throttle in balances if you are going to buddy the two Transmitters together. as long as you can balance out Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder you'll be Fine.

Steve Smile

Thanks for the info Steve ... the numbers are a bit of a problem for me though: Using the same battery, receiver and transmitter in two different tests, I get ...

At max throttle with the Parkzone ESC -> 16 A whereas
at max throttle with the HK ESC -> 17.5 A

I can't get anywhere near the 20 A you're getting. I'll try a few different flight batteries, but I can't see them making 2.5 A difference. It's probably good enough to ensure safe flying though, since at 17.5 A it certainly seemed to have enough "get up an' go".

I'm not really planning on a high-performance setup, but not being able to reach maximum expected power when needed is something I wanna fix.

Thanks again and see you tomorrow ...
Steve

Steve Murray

Gday All

Discovered something interesting last night. I am revamping Ted Stryker and gave it the polyurethane coat treatment. (Thanks for all the info on this Paul and Steve) Thumbup. What I discovered after a quick test on a foam box is that with the polyurethane coat enamel spray paints can be safely used. Therefore no real need to have to use acrylics, best part is large spray cans are only $3.50 from my local $2 shop.
Sweet. Biggrin

On a side note, spray painting outdoors in a 50kmh wind is "problematic". Tounge Someone downwind of my location now has a light coat of matt black and copper. Lol

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Good news!

The foam Parkzone uses IS supposedly stacks more stable than the usual stuff out of China. The consensus is that mileage varies considerably!

Just a word of caution, both myself and Gary have been caught out
on this. If you hold the can too close to model when spraying the
propellent in the can will still eat into some foams.
Make sure you are only doing light sprays at a time and hold can a good distance( 30cm) away.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Gday Paul

I think there is a slight diff in regards to how I have done this, I put 2 light coats of the poly on 1st, then sanded, then painted, and another thicker coat of the poly over the top. The 1st coats seal the foam and prevent it coming into contact with the paint. From memory you paint first and then coat??

In regards to light coats due to the high wind the paint is nicely diffused. I was a bit worried that it would hit "dry" thus giving me a rough finish however all has come up really well.
Cheers
Rob B