Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike!

It's still permissible - you can see that by looking at the MOPs :

http://d1070190-1981.myweb.westnethostin...page_id=79 and look for MOP049

... but it will eventually be assigned to the garbage-bin of history.

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve. I've now bookmarked that manual, too.

It's just that I have a new old Optic 6 kicking around, and wanted to eventually insert it into my Funjet, rather than use a 2.4ghz unit because of shadowing concerns in a tiny tube fuse with a huge motor at one end and a huge battery at the other. A big old receiver antenna running out and around the wing makes me feel a little more secure with the idea of it all.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

(30-06-2013, 01:14 AM)Steven Wrote:  Thanks Steve. I've now bookmarked that manual, too.

It's just that I have a new old Optic 6 kicking around, and wanted to eventually insert it into my Funjet, rather than use a 2.4ghz unit because of shadowing concerns in a tiny tube fuse with a huge motor at one end and a huge battery at the other. A big old receiver antenna running out and around the wing makes me feel a little more secure with the idea of it all.

Just use a satellite on your reciever and you will be fine on 2.4ghz.
FYI I fly my Stryker Q with full range rx no satellite with no issues.

My 2cents worth is fly all planes with full range rx and fit satellites where possible on planes and you will be fine.
Park flyer rx are just that park fly rx, yes you will get good range but can get unstuck or unlucky.
36 MHz would be in my opinion a park fly rx range, unless your tx is belting out a good transmission.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Ditto what samste just said.
I use Spectrum AR600's without a satellite in both my Skyfuns and never had a glitch.
On the other hand, over the years we have had some major 36 meg failues at McCoy that have been attributed to the high power cables sharing the sky with our aircraft...
I would stay away from it ... but its your call!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I've had some experience with 36 MHz
And I can tell you for sure that with an electric model 2.4 GHz will be much more reliable
What Gazz said about the power lines is also big issue
I'm pretty sure with those powerlines youll be getting multipath interference with 36 MHz
If you want a really bullet proof radio link go for an FRSky module in a turnigy 9x
Or better still a JR or Futaba radio that allows you to plug in such a module
Or you can swap the R F board in your old 36 MHz set with a 2.4 hack kit from FRSky
It'll be the best radio link you've ever used
I fly all my big planes with FRSky so does Frank R and Craig S too and they never have radio issues

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

well i think the argument may be settled about 36mhz versus 2.4ghz .
but we have to look at the build quality and reliability of such receivers and txs .
i for one never ever lost any planes on 36mhz . i cannot say the same for 2.4ghz . in faCT I HAVE LOST MANY PLANES ON 2.4GHZ . due to a FAULTY DX6i tx . AND I'M STILL undecided about spectrum quality . i dont think ive had any issues with ORANGE receivers that i can recall .
not just me but many people that are in this club and others have had 2.4 ghs glitches and lost planes due to it . so it cant be as bullet proof as suggested . i wish i could say there were huge problems with 36mhz . but i cant , i cant say the same for 2.4ghz .
maybe we should start a thread on whos lost a plane and lost signal on 2.4ghz ???

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I have never flown a plane on fixed frequency, so I am all ears to what has been said.

My thoughts just hark back to when 2.4 was being introduced, and reading up on it where ever I could. At the time, boffins were spouting that fixed frequency has a longer range, is not effected by shadowing, etc... and that I have this radio that I have never used lol. Keeping in mind that these same boffins (or similar, at least) are from whom I learned that these new fangled LiPO batteries like to stored fully charged...

Tasmanian Philbo has been mirroring your sentiments, Steve. He uses a practically park flier Orange in his Radjet with a 4S wedged in there and never has reported a brown moment. In his radio.

Thanks guys, I'll stop panicking and bung a 6210 in there with the satellite out under the wing.

Not that it will be in the air anytime soon Wink

PS, also, now I am thinking ... why do I have about 15 29mhz car radios around the house that are not in cars any longer?.... Things that make you go Do'h.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

(30-06-2013, 04:15 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  well i think the argument may be settled about 36mhz versus 2.4ghz .
but we have to look at the build quality and reliability of such receivers and txs .
i for one never ever lost any planes on 36mhz . i cannot say the same for 2.4ghz . in faCT I HAVE LOST MANY PLANES ON 2.4GHZ . due to a FAULTY DX6i tx . AND I'M STILL undecided about spectrum quality . i dont think ive had any issues with ORANGE receivers that i can recall .
not just me but many people that are in this club and others have had 2.4 ghs glitches and lost planes due to it . so it cant be as bullet proof as suggested . i wish i could say there were huge problems with 36mhz . but i cant , i cant say the same for 2.4ghz .
maybe we should start a thread on whos lost a plane and lost signal on 2.4ghz ???

Your right Frank we didn't have many troubles with 36Mhz back in those days but If you'd tried using it recently especially in populated areas like McCoy Field or at my work you'd find you have trouble for sure. I gave up using it at my work even for park fliers. I was using the good stuff too my JR X388s and JR receivers and a tried a couple of my old but good dual conversion Hitec receivers as well and I would get radio interference every 2nd or 3rd flight. There is just that much more noise out there now. I have a Hitec flash 4 and a couple of receivers in perfect order if you want to try them in one of your planes. They work great out at Boggabri but not here.

I have never had a glitch with FRSky gear but once I did have a faulty receiver, it locked up, I think it was a firmware problem 'cause it worked again once it was rebooted. I never used it again tho' binned it straight away. I did google the issue and found that there were a few of one batch that had a similar problem, just unlucky I guess. But that's one out of many hundreds of flights with FRSky.
Take that little red Yak 54. It's got over 30 hours of air time on it and mostly, 99% of that is at McCoy field. Not a single glitch in all that time, not one. That radio link is by FRSky.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yep can't fault FRSky Thumbup

Closer to home; Steve, I used to run a Multiplex Funjet into the stratosphere with stupid big motor and battery and never had any radio issues.
I DID however have a FRSky 6ch rx which has nice long antenna wires that allowed me to route one antenna down a groove on the wing and another to the nose and have a nice 90deg diversity setup. Never heard a peep out of the RSSI Telemetry...
Spektrum's weakness is/was that they have short little antennas that don't allow you to do this without running a satellite Rx. Seems their newer Rx's come with longer wires.

(01-07-2013, 10:11 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  Yep can't fault FRSky Thumbup

Closer to home; Steve, I used to run a Multiplex Funjet into the stratosphere with stupid big motor and battery and never had any radio issues.
I DID however have a FRSky 6ch rx which has nice long antenna wires that allowed me to route one antenna down a groove on the wing and another to the nose and have a nice 90deg diversity setup. Never heard a peep out of the RSSI Telemetry...
Spektrum's weakness is/was that they have short little antennas that don't allow you to do this without running a satellite Rx. Seems their newer Rx's come with longer wires.

Just for those that that don't know, RSSI stands for recieved signal strength indicator. With FRSky recievers that support Telemetry, part of the signal that comes back to the TX contains information about the strength of the signal that the RX is picking up. If the signal strength falls below a certain threshold then you get an audible warning the your transmitter. Very handy !!

FRSky telemetry RX's also have an inbuilt A to D converter that allows you to monitor things on the plane while it's in flight. I use it to monitor my Lipo voltage, there is a two stage audable alert you can set at any two voltages you like. In my case the first warning lets me know the lipos are getting low and the second more urgent warning tells me they are just about to die.

I really think that with bigger, more powerfull planes you really need to have some extra safety features, like the sort of things FRSky offers.

Eventually it will save, the cost of a plane or more.

I also can't help but notice that FR-Sky just released a new radio with Dual module support and Open source Modifiable OS!
http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/

Must keep an eye on that if I ever come back to flying!

(01-07-2013, 01:08 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  I also can't help but notice that FR-Sky just released a new radio with Dual module support and Open source Modifiable OS!
http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/

Must keep an eye on that if when I ever come back to flying!

Just a couple of quick edits there - your post was unacceptable in its original form Wink

Steve Murray

I like the look of that Not in stock anywhere tho' at the moment !!

I'm a JR man and never had ANY control glitch's with my JR11X using Spectrum receivers ...but I must admit that new FRSky radio really looks the goods!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi guys. Is anybody try to order batteries from HobbyKing?, tried to order some 2200 batteries. Yesterday, and are on back order, I was so needed to order some other stuff from HobbyKing had order them from the Hong Kong warehouse as they were not available on the Australian warehouse, has anybody else had a similar story?.

Kind regards, Bob.

HI BOB. all my batteries have been bought from HK . if they are in stock they'll be fine , and youll receive them .
never purchase anything on back order through HK . THE WAIT CAN BE MONTHS !!!!.
I always prefer to purchase batteries that are in stock in the Australian warehouse though because they are cheaper and delivered quickly .
If you buy batteries from the international warehouse they charge extra for posting EXPLOSIVES . but you will still get them in a reasonable time .

KIZZA . REGARDING THAT FRSKY TX ... OWMUCHESSIT ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Hey Bob, this is not something I make a habit of doing, but if you need some quickly, we have some 2200 3S Redbacks in the shop for around the 20 buck mark.

(02-07-2013, 11:33 AM)BOB Wrote:  Hi guys. Is anybody try to order batteries from HobbyKing?, tried to order some 2200 batteries. Yesterday, and are on back order, I was so needed to order some other stuff from HobbyKing had order them from the Hong Kong warehouse as they were not available on the Australian warehouse, has anybody else had a similar story?.

Kind regards, Bob.

Heh Bob These are not bad Lipos a little more priced at $18 but good 30c rating an all rounder,
Using these in my Gee bee 3d foamy as all my nano are Stuffed and refuse to buy them anymore

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

2 left Aus warehouse

Just use Battery Haven Finder Bob

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ration.asp

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi. There's no rush, I need some batteries for the Bixler
I think the 22 hundredths will seek the Bixler. Very well, as there is no washers in the nose.

I was just wondering, is the problem with the batteries, right across the board with HobbyKing?. All restricted to the Turnigy batteries?.

Kind regards, Bob

(03-07-2013, 11:13 AM)BOB Wrote:  Hi. There's no rush, I need some batteries for the Bixler
I think the 22 hundredths will seek the Bixler. Very well, as there is no washers in the nose.

I was just wondering, is the problem with the batteries, right across the board with HobbyKing?. All restricted to the Turnigy batteries?.

Kind regards, Bob

Bob,
My opinion on Lipos are is that there all not bad, it's really depends on a couple of things.

1. The use of correct lipo for the plane it's being used in.
We all try to use the same lipo for several planes to keep costs down but sometimes this does not do lipos any favours.
Eg A 2200ma 20c (44 amps continuos) lipo may be great in a stock t28 park zone that has a max draw 28 amps. Lipo is not stressed.
Use the same lipo in a plane that has a max draw 60 amps will stress the lipo.

2. Looking after the lipo especially nanos as they need to be storage charged when not in use, not fully charged.
Balance charging helps the lipo as well.
And not to run lipos too low will help a lot too.

Steve

Hi Steve. Slightly confused ?, Or the 3000 batteries are used in the old Trojan T28 still work in the new Trojan?, The new Trojan only has a 30A speedy. If so I can charge up tomorrow ready for the weekend .

Kind regards, Bob.

Your old batteries will be fine Bob!

Steve Murray

Steve M is Right, Your Old Lipos 3000ma 20c that you used in your old Trojan will be Fine Bob in the new Trojan,

I was Just explaing about that it not necessarly all Brands of lipos are bad, that it is the way you use and care for them.

Steve

Was using this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=25194 as my switch in the now frame replaced MXSR, however when I turned it on, the LED battery voltage display would do nothing but flash without indicating battery voltage. I have temprorarily replaced it with a simpler switch without the display. Cant replace the original as is on backorder from HK. Does anybody have the ability and kindness to look at this switch for me to possibly locate it's problem & fix it.

I'd be happy to have a look at it for you, Wayne - problem is that I can't drive for a few months so I doubt I'll be getting to the field any time soon to pick it up.

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve, send me a private message with your address & phone number & I will drop it to you. Hope the non driving is not on medical grounds

Needing to buy some stand-offs for my new Edge 540 motor. Adjustables will be preferred. I know Gazza bought some, would like to know where I can get some.
Cheers guys

If you measure up the length from the surface the prop sits on to the fire wall and bring the motor and the motor backing plate
with you, I can turn you up some spacers.

Hi Wayne
I have the Hacker A60-22 in my Egde 540 that came out of my Seb Art Sukhoi 140. So I used the mount that I bouught with the motor.
http://www.espritmodel.com/aluminum-mount-a60.aspx
Esprit models have a huge range of mounts but you will have to wait for it once you order it.
Jasons offer to machine you up some stand offs sounds like the go.
I purchased 2 lengths of 10mm aviation grade aluminium from Kellets to hold the Eflite Power 160 in my Mustang 150. Jason kindly machined them to length and taped 5mm threads in both ends them for me. They hold the motor perfectly.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Haven't started on the build yet, is 3rd in line in the build queue. Ordering the adjustable stand-off from the US seems a bit over the top when I have such a kind offer From Jason. Next time I am in Liverpool I will drop by Kellets for the aviation tubing.
Thanks for the offer & advice guys