Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike!

~KevJ~ Wrote:thats a great idea kev. I was running realflight g4 from a laptop onto a 100 inch screen at home initially.its how i became comfortable with mode 1 orientation!

Standing in front of the screen it had a great feel, unfortunately the resolution was only 1024x768 (4:3) so the pixels were evident, I'm going to look for a 16:10 projector with higher resolution, if the price is right I'd like one for home.

Look at the Epson TW range, they have very good bang for buck. A few years back the TW1000 was the absolute best HD projector money could buy and it was cheap!
Also: http://www.pricejapan.com

kizza42 Wrote:Look at the Epson TW range, they have very good bang for buck. A few years back the TW1000 was the absolute best HD projector money could buy and it was cheap!
Also: http://www.pricejapan.com

i have an epson at home but its a couple of years old now so ive replaced it with a 50 inch plasma, i still have it up tho and the screen comes down for when i play nintendo wii and have a few drinks, it is abit of an insurance policy against a controller getting thrown through the tv .. Wink

i also had some pixel issues with realflight but it was still good enough for the orientation learning, i used realflight like 1-2 hours anight for 4 weeks b4 i maidened the trojan and you know it helped so much and only now i realise that i should have used the online feature to fly around other ppl and simulate dogfighting... it was the only thing i didnt practice and its what let me down.. Lol

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

let me know when you want a dogfight and I'll give you one on-line. Smile
I wasn't aware that we could do that. I reckon that would be great.
Let's talk tomorrow night about setting it up.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

yeah sweet dad, only thing is we may have to look for our original bought copies... Wink my "back-up" may not allow access to great planes servers or what not.. :roll:

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

I believe you can connect peer to peer or run your own server

With the avatar profile what is the biggest gif i can use as i have one that is 800kb ? that i made myself,

I worked it out 200kb is max Redfaceops

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I'm putting together my brushless glider and have bench run it's sk35-36 910 motor with 11x5.5 & 12x6 props. Still amazes me how much thrust these things produce. Just a couple of questions. The motor came with a shaft retaining collar with grub screw. What's it for & do I need to use it when mounting prop in normal place, that is on the case, not the shaft. Also, I've left the ESC settings at default & motor seems to run well (I did set the throttle range). The default motor timing is low. Is this correct? It says that medium may also be good for better efficiency with motors with many poles. I could just try it but not critical I guess. I've still got other things to sort out - servos, linkages etc.
Thanks.

0 :?: :?:

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

The shaft adapter is used when you are using the motor shaft, if you are bolting the prop to the other end then you don't need to worry about it Wink Leave all the ESC settings at default although you might want to turn on the motor brake to improve your glide times (When left to freewheel the prop creates alot of drag)

Thanks Kieren. Would like to pop down to the field but on call for work and just got a service call to go to Manly first thing in the morning. Don't like my chances.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Hi All

Having Dramas on new Cessna getting the Elevator to work spot on, Any Hints Welcomed.
Unequal throws on either side, I think i May need Some Expertise in the Field, Darren help Please

I was thinking putting both Rod ends into one hole on server arm but not sure if this is good practice, but i think then at least the will push and pull evenly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Gday Steve

What an odd setup, never seen anything like that before. I think you have a few options though.
1- Join the elevator halves and use a single attach point as per normal.
2 - Centre the servo in the fuselage and then use a servo horn that extends both sides of the servo and reconnect the 2 rods either side.
3- Use 2 servo's, one for each elevator half. Your King Max Tx will easily mix the 2 channels together.

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

i like the two servo idea, that would get things spot on. :idea:

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi Steve,

Kev and I both have Tucano's still to be built.
The elevator setup is quite similar to your Cessna.
Mark at Extreme RC where we bought them from advises that most of
his customers bring the 2 elevator pushrods together at the servo end
and put both into an ezy connector which then goes into a hole on the servo arm.
He reckons that no one has ever reported any problems with this setup.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Gday Paul/ Steve

Not sure if the Ez Connector option will work with the servo mounted so far aft and offset from centreline, is that in the same location in the Tucano?

Cheers
Rob B

You are of course correct Rob.
The elevator servo in the Tucano is located much further forward
thus reducing the angle where the 2 pushrods meet.
The idea of 2 elevator pushrods in the Tucano was suggested to me if I decided
not to cut the Rudder from the vertical Stab (which is optional).
Mark said that he did not know of any customers who were using the rudder, but in light
of my experiences with the Mustang I believe the Rudder is essential and I will be installing
the rudder servo.
Back to Steve's problem.
I reckon best solution is to brace the join between the elevators and just go with one pushrod.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

all this talk of split elevators has got me to thinking..
i wonder if there could be any fun had in running two servos on the elevators and having some form of mix when you are rolling (like a funjet mix) which might increase roll rates or do other fun things at flat stick.. Biggrin
perhaps not so good for a cessna but maybe the tucano and others.. :geek:

i thought i heard darren speaking one day of a similar thing he will have set up in his F15.. anyone what effects could be found by doing this....ie rob whats the go.. lol

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Lol, this is like a replay of my convo with Steve last nigth!

lol .. groundhog day. Biggrin

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Having your elevators offset mixed for roll purposes is easily acheivable with our TX's using mixing to the aileron channels.
HOWEVER.
You would want to set that up as a flight mode selectable action, you would also want to ensure that you kept your wits about you and ensured that you were not in uber roll flight mode during takeoff and landing.
Don't want to be negative but I see an accident going to happen with that setup.
Prob better to up the throws on your ailerons if you want a 4 billion degree roll per second rate and use Dual Rates.

Cheers
Rob B

yeah mate you are probably right 8-)

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi All

Thanks for all the Input and Ideas.
I Ended up Buying a couple of servers, to do it that way, But it was going to be To Difficult as server would have to be upside down or mixed on a spare channel.
So i Ended up going the way i was thinking and that Paul also Suggested joining the two together.
I did this Buy removing both sections and placing bar at hinge of elevator with right angles into elevator at both ends, avoiding any cut to Rudder arrangement.
Works Great and took about an hour to do,

Steve Biggrin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KHjoZLLaE[/youtube]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice neat job Steve.
Looking forward to seeing it fly on the weekend.
Just from the little I saw on the video it looks like a real nice model.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Thanks Paul

Looking forward to Flying It Tomorrow, Still needs a little work on Battery fixing, Receiver Fixing and I'm installing Flaps as i Type This as ever thing is there ready for it and i have a couple spare Servers now and i might as well use them. Wink

Steve Smile

Good that you sorted your elevators out Steve. Joining them together is probably the simplest way. Interesting the comments about separate servos to effect roll rate. That's exactly how most Jet Fighters operate, The 2 stabilators (the entire horizontal stabilizer) move independently like elevons (eg on the Stryker) to produce both elevator and aileron forces. On a Fighter, this is important for maximum performance - if you ever watch a Fighter like a F15 come in to land, the Stabilators are flapping all over the place and independent of each other. Actually it's the flight computer that's really controlling the control surfaces - the pilot may pull back on the stick when he wants to raise the nose for example, but the flight computer is mainly feeding in control movements to stabilise a fairly unstable aircraft and in amongst that also respond to the Pilot's requests as well.

John Jelovic

Hi All

Here is a quick tip for everyone who may or may not do and my lesson i learned with the issue that arose.

On Sat i was flying my Funjet and was a couple of metres off ground flying low. The plane flipped over and crashed into the ground.
I wasn't to concerned about damage and put it to pilot error and windy conditions.
As i wanted to give it a make over with new colour scheme.
But Now i know what went wrong Icon_evil
With My makeover of Funjet with new center body and paint job i took it for a test flight today between jobs just so i could trim it out
and balance it.
Well i did all the checks elevator up/down, ailerons right/left, throttle up/down.
All checked out OK so full throttle and away she went straight up Biggrin But straight away it started to turn and turn and turn with no response from plane while i was trying all i could to correct the planes actions with my controller .
She crashed and broke prop and cracked front nose off. :cry:
After assessing the situation and going over what happened i check a few things on the plane and what i discovered made me Icon_evil .

So any one want to guess what the problem was

damn i hope your not going to leave me hangin?? i remaiden on saturday.. fess up! Biggrin

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Another antenna failure?

No transmitter and reciever fine, (i have checked all my Recievers now on regular basis)

Hint you would pick this up on ground take offs but not on hand launches

loose rudder?