Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike!

I began flying 4 yeras ago and bought a new DX6i, I replaced it about 12 months ago with a JR11X Zero only beacuse I wanted a radio with more channels as my skills and aircraft size and complexity increased.
I still use my DX6i to train students regularly and have NEVER had any of the glitches you speak of.
You may have just got a dud, which I am sure must happen from time to time.
If you are going to go to the expense of purchasing a better quality radio from the outset then I would suggest the 8 rather than the 7. The 8 has better software and is a radio you will not have to change in a few years when your skills advance and you decide you need more channels.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

WOW , Great purchase on dx8 system BEN. yeah GARY i'm a little red faced mate , being in training and all , not trying to say its not my flying , but in this case 3 different receivers lost signal , even on solo flights with jason flying solo to prove it , twice while flying up 50 metres and level .
being , out of touch with radios and channels , could people explain why you need more than 6 channels ,
i can think , 1 aileron, 2 elevator, 3 throttle ,4 rudder, 5 landing retracts,6 flaps, 7 smoke switch (nitro) , where do more channels come in ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

This probably doesn't help too much, but for the record - I bought 2 x DX6i transmitters about 18 months ago (Junior is mode 1, but I'm older and wiser and fly mode 2) and we've used them for many hours at various fields and with both Orange and genuine Spektrum receivers and never had a radio problem ... other than due to regrettable carelessness on my part, very recently.

The only reason we went for the DX6i was because I had to keep the cost manageable as I was buying two of them. I'm sorry that you've not had a good experience there Frank, but as an entry-level option for someone not entirely sure that they're ready to make a long-term commitment to the hobby (which we were at the time), the DX6i is a good choice, in the opinion of humble self. If I was buying a new transmitter and I was sure I was going to stick with the scene for a while, I'd be getting a DX8 at least.

Steve Murray

Large aircraft will run 2 channels for ailerons, 2 for flaps, 2 for elevator, 1 for rudder at least 2 for retracts plus emergency shut downs for I/C's and even more for turbines.
Some people have aircraft that use up to 18 channels.
My humble 2 meter Seb Art Sukhoi 140 uses 2 channels for ailerons, 2 for elevator 1 for rudder, 1 for throttle and 2 channels for BEC power input, thats 8 and I dont have flaps or retracts.
So as the complexity and size of you aircraft grows........ so will your need for channels.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(09-04-2012, 08:01 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Large aircraft will run 2 channels for ailerons, 2 for flaps, 2 for elevator, 1 for rudder at least 2 for retracts plus emergency shut downs for I/C's and even more for turbines.
Some people have aircraft that use up to 18 channels.
My humble 2 meter Seb Art Sukhoi 140 uses 2 channels for ailerons, 2 for elevator 1 for rudder, 1 for throttle and 2 channels for BEC power input, thats 8 and I dont have flaps or retracts.
So as the complexity and size of you aircraft grows........ so will your need for channels.
Gazz

ok thanks , something else i was unaware of LOL. IT does sound like 8 channels are the go as one day i would like to work up to that size .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

You may want an extra two for pan and tilt for an FPV camera and with twin tail booms you'd need one for each rudder if you want to use them as air breaks as well. Some OSDs have options that you can turn on and off with extra channels. you might use one channel to change cameras.
If you have a twin engined model you might have two channels for the throttles and mix them with rudder.
When you take in to account all the uses that Gazz mentioned as well it doesn't take long to use up a bunch of channels. The possibilities are almost endless.

I've had a DX6i for quite some time and never had a problem with it. I've used it in some noisy places as well. At work I had numerous glitches with 36Mhz sets one JR TX with JR recievers one Futaba TX and one Hitech TX with duel conversion hitech 36Mhz recievers. Mind you there is a fairly powerfull microwave link between there and marsfield. mostly I could recover from the these glitches which would usually mean all servos went full in one direction or another for a very short time. I was only flying my foamy slow fly something else might have been different tho'
I never had a glitch, not one with my DX6i or any of the 2.4 GHz RXs I also used my FRSky module there with my old JR x388s and it was perfict too.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I thought i Throw in my 2 cents worth.

I first started out with a Kingmax 8ch tx/rx as it was cheap and it was not the best thing to do as i had lots of problems with it and it really made flying hard with glitches and not being able to set expos etc and brown outs common espeacially at low flying levels..

I then bought a Dx7 original with trainer around the time they brought out the dx7se which is without the trainer which was the cheaper version.
I haven't looked back, no issues and my flying change straight away with a better tx and rx.
My Main concern is tx and rx glitches, so i always use Full range Rx's and commonly check after every flight to see if i had a brown out's as you will know if you did.,as the red indicator light will be flashing.
If its Steady red means all good.I have not had a brown out at Prcac yet, but i have noticed when i was out at another club i did, this could have been possibly 2.4 inteference in the area. but it was only the once.

Overall i think you cannot go wrong with a spektrum either a 6,7,8

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi . have a question regarding aileron elevon and rudder hinging TAPE .
what can you use as wing hinging tape ? FOR DEPRON , fibreglass tape seems very hard to get . are there any alternatives ?

(17-04-2012, 04:34 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  Hi . have a question regarding aileron elevon and rudder hinging TAPE .
what can you use as wing hinging tape ? FOR DEPRON , fibreglass tape seems very hard to get . are there any alternatives ?

Have You Checked Out Bunnings they have a huge Range in the paint Section , i'm sure i have seen Fiberglass Tape There, but i could be wrong.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Try this link
they have some very nic coloured tapes as well

http://wowings.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=29

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yep Bunnings paint dept has fibreglass tape.
Try looking on the top shelf in the store as for some reason
they seem to hide it up high.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

i went to bunnings today , they said they dont have any , we searched high and low , there was some clear duct tape that looked very much like it but i tore it in half easily . they stated they dont stock it . which i thought was strange . supercheap has some 24mm fibre tape , but it isnt cross weaved .

Hi guys, after crashing the flying brick (AKA HK Corsair) I have been looking again for something cheap to sharpen my skills before getting the E-flite Advance. Saw these on HK (Aus) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html
or perhaps http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html
both under $100
Would appreciate comments or alternatives

(19-04-2012, 02:47 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Hi guys, after crashing the flying brick (AKA HK Corsair) I have been looking again for something cheap to sharpen my skills before getting the E-flite Advance. Saw these on HK (Aus) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html
or perhaps http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html
both under $100
Would appreciate comments or alternatives

If i had to choose between the two i'd Go the Pitts I reckon as this would be a nice easy flier with plenty of control to push it around.
I feel the Yak could be unforgiving with its large control surfaces and smaller wing area, tip stall easier, but it also could be a real lot of fun Too.

Go the Pitts Wayne, Frank has one and it flies like a champion.
Stay well clear of that particular YAK, if you look closely at the front you will see that the motor is off set and runs through a reduction gear drive, they are very easy to sheer gears on and are pretty much old school tech in this day and age. The only reason they do that is to sell pissy little motors that are cheap crap!!!
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gaz, do you think I have progressed suficient to fly it

Shit yeh!!!!!
Think you will find it to be a pretty easy flier. The most important thing with Bipes is to get the C of G spot on.
I'm sure we can help you with that.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Have found it pretty easy to fly on Phoenix, highly aerobatic, snap rolls like a mozzie with its arse on fire, absolutely no dihedral & twitchy. Deadstick landings not on, must be flown in under power, but what fun. Have even managed to prop hang & knife edge it without having to slow down the simulation speed. Hope the HK version performs similar.

(19-04-2012, 05:05 PM)gbanger Wrote:  crap yeh!!!!!
Think you will find it to be a pretty easy flier. The most important thing with Bipes is to get the C of G spot on.
I'm sure we can help you with that.

All frakenfraks aside & no disrespect to Gaz's opinion, but can anybody give me firsthand knowledge of the HK Pitts special. HK discussions seem positive but differ in skill levels required.

G'day Frank

I have the blue 4 aileron HK Pitts and I bloody love it.
Easy to fly like a pussy and capable of aerobatics way beyond my abilities.
The servos in it are shithouse so replace those, I also changed the prop to a 3 blader. Same as what's on Kieran's club trainer.
One of my favourite aircraft in the Robair hangar.
Interesting that Gazz mentions CofG being critical in a bipe. I have never got this quite right in the Pitts due to being very restricted re battery position. Mine is slightly tail heavy which although not ideal does not really bother me.
If you don't have a pathological hatred if adding lead to the nose like I do that'd be any easy fix.
In summary, get one!

Cheers
Rob B

Thanks for that Rob, will be on order next pay, just had to replace front disks & rotors on the IX35 & said goodbye to $730.

Cheers Wayne (not Frank lol)

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Hi,

I'm new to this site, I'm not new to rc but only understand basic planes.

I've got a 3d plane "epp challenger" which I can't really fly with my non-computer 4ch radio so I'm looking to buy a new computer transmitter and rx. How many channels do you need for a 3d plane? I've seen some Walkera 7 & 8 channels going for good price are they suitable, have enough computer functions? Any recommended brands?

Also I'm not sure how channel mixing works, if say you have; aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle - thats 4ch, if you want to mix say aileron and rudder so the aileron control also moves the rudder, do you need a fifth channel with the tx or the rx? Or theoretically still just 4?

I don't want to have to upgrade tx cos find not enough.

thank you

Your 3D plane basically only needs 4 channels, throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder. But it will fly much better with exponential and for the expo you'll want a computer radio. Exponential rates is where you can set the servo's responce to your stick movement to be less around the center. This very handy for a 3D plane.
If you want to try using mixing for flapperons you will need an extra channel for the other aileron.
For aileron => rudder mixing, which is not necessary on a 3D model, you'll need a computer radio to be able to do this, but it doesn't use up an extra channel. If your model had two rudders, as some do, you may want to use two channels one for each. This way you can put them both out and use them as breaks and also use them as rudders and for this an extra channel would be used. There are many other instances where you might want more channels than just the 4 basic controlls. It depends on the type of planes you want to fly.

I reckon, a great computer radio to start off flying with, (my opinion) is the Spectrum DX6i. On the whole they are pretty good value and have 6 channels 10 model memories and a good range of econimical, compatible recievers are available. They are able to connect to just about any JR or spectrum radio via a buddy lead to for training as well.

You will have decide on which mode to fly as the TX (transmitter) you buy will be set up in either mode 1 or mode 2. I'm pretty sure most people at the club fly mode 1.

Hope this is of some help Smile

the DX6i is $199 at hobbies in the hills , the DX7s $339 and the DX8 last one $399 . ( castle hill )

recently had my DX6i repaired . it had LOW RF OUTPUT . the module was changed tested , given the all clear and sent back as good to go .
setting up a model i bound the orange park flyer reciever , and it is constantly flashing . every channel is working etc , but should it be flashing ??? OMP did not send my user manual back with the tx . so i have to ask the question . cheers .

Normally the receiver will flash if it detects an interruption to communications since a previous lock to a transmitter - so a brown-out will get it to happen. However, by far the most common cause of this is when you plug a battery into a plane (after having switched the transmitter on of course) and then you disconnect the battery and re-connect it (or another battery) whilst leaving the transmitter on the whole time.

Steve Murray

After the work carried out by OMP, did you rebind your aircraft?
It may be necessary to confirm the link by binding each aircraft between the radio and recievers.
If the recievers are still flashing after rebinding you may have another problem, but definatley rebind and check before jumping up and down.
I know you are probably aware of this, but make sure you turn your transmitter on first and then connect the battery to the ESC. If you plug in your battery before turning on your transmitter the aircraft reciever will often lock out the transmitter from linking up.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I'd get in contact with omp and ask for the manual back as well
Like Steve and Gazz says make sure you have turned on your TX just before you
Fire up the RX
My receivers flash too if I turn on the RX a long time after turning on the TX
Also flashes if change packs without turning of the TX in between
If it still flashes then re bind. If still try another RX
It might be that RX
Also if it's a satellite make sure that you have the satellite plugged in before you bind them

ok thanks guys . i have rebound that receiver only at the moment to test a new build , i did turn radio on 1st n several occasions , i have also tried different scenarios diconnecting reconnecting battery etc . same result everytime , it flashes . the interesting thing is on standby it flashes say once per second , but using servos on multiple channels it flash at variable speed depending on number of channels used , very fast flashing when using channels .
i'll bind my other receivers and see if the same thing happens , and if they all do it , i'll bind them with another DX6i and see what happens . if theres a difference , I'LL TRY TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT BEFORE I USE THAT TX AGAIN .

Mornin All

I have a couple of q's. Can anyone recommend a good high speed mg digital servo to run the swash in my my new HK 500? Goteck gd9257's prev fulfilled the role however one stripped its guts out when my old 500 killed itself. So need 3 new ones. Don't wish to break the bank however don't want to skimp either.
Also, my viper jet runs digital servos all round except for the servo that runs the air retract valve, it is analogue. Is that servo going to have issues if I set my tx to 11ms digital frame rate?

Finally, Frank your rx issue is very odd, the variable flash speed is something I have not seen before. The rx usually flashes fast when binding and slow if signal/ power lost? Think you may have a tx problem, they haven't upgraded it to DSMX or something like that have they?

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3