Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hanger 9 P51 Mustang 150

yeah mate . nice job indeed .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Here are a few final pics of the Stang, I am just waiting on batteries so I can sort out the Battery tray, C of G and go flying.
Check out the crazy guy I got to look after flying.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Look'n good Gazza, should look even better in the air. Can you tell me the name of your pilot supplier, didn't know you could by self replicas. When I get mine should look better Lol

That pilot could be an escapee from the Village people Biggrin

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

The pilot seems to be wearing a Luftwaffe officer's cap too!

Steve Murray

Holly Hanger 9 Batman, the big P51 is finally finished.
Flight batteries arrived yesterday so I spent a few hours last night getting the C of G sorted, then I manufactured the battery tray and did the first ground running tests.
I was a little concerned that the 16 x 10 x 3 Master airscrew might be a little under done, but the E calc maths recon it should be on the money generating 130 watts per pound.
The first run up on the bench was more than enough to belay any missgivings I may have had... at 70% throttle I had trouble holding the big sucker down. I hit full throttle for a few seconds and needed to go and change my undies... I don't think thrust will be a problem!!!!!!!
So with all that done I hope to maiden the big sucker this Sunday out at Penrith, I really hope it has nice slow flight characteristics so I can fly it at McCoy (conditions permitting that is).... time will tell.
Here are a few pics of the finished beast.

Edit: Flight weight 7.9kgs

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Looks the real deal Gazz, keeping up with your big model mode of operation.
Should look great in the air, presumably flying out west only.

I Like the Color Scheme of the P51 with the Green Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Wow Gaza, that just looks surpurb. Im going to be there on Sunday just let me know the time. If its not windy I'll bring the new big B-25 for maiden as well.Thumbup

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Very Nice Gazz. It looks great !!
Reckon it will fly like a beautie as well
All the very best for the test flight mate !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

what a pitty i cant join you lads on sunday . the edge 540 would be ready for a maiden also . but me i'll be working 2 x 12 hour shifts come the weekend .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Yep - looking forward to a detailed flight report Gazz.
Good luck with it, all the best,
Steve

Steve Murray

I beg you to not try and unstick early, use all the runway you can. Lift off with 1.5 times the airspeed that you think you need!

Good luck!

Well the maiden flight went like clock work.
The only glitch was that I had to cycle the retracts twice to get them to go up.
Conditions were perfect with a clear sky and literally no wind.
I took Kierans advise and set the aircraft up at the start of the runway.
Throttle response was very impressive for such a large heavy aircraft, I am pretty sure it would have been in the air well before the pilots box but I let it run another 30 meters and it lifted into the air like it was on rails at a little over half throttle. A near textbook climb out and turned downwind. 2 click left aileron and 2 clicks down elevator and she was flying straight and level at about 100 kph.
I did a few circuits then a right and left roll with the big bird hardly batting an eyelid when asked to respond. I turned on a low pass and accelerated to full throttle. I recon Ecalc was right on the money with the top speed about 130kph. I did another big figure eight circuit and then throttled back, droped the retracts and hit full flaps, to my surprise it did not affect the attitude at all, I slowed down to about 40% throttle and turned for a test approach. It was not coming down, I droped the throttle to about 25% and it still held altitude, I went around and came in at about 10% killing the throttle completley as I crossed the foot of the runway at about 1 meter high. It floated to well passed the pilots box before it lost the battle with gravity and settled back on to terra firma slowly droped its tail and finally stopped at the far end of the runway.
Apart from the retract cycling. I could not be happier with the entire flight. Unfortunatley it is to heavy and needs too much runway for McCoy, but what a magic plane.
Hopfully George got some footage that he will post shortly.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Congrats on the maiden Gary. I've been following ur build thread and
you've done a cracking job on the p-51.

All the best,

Yudash

Some pictures while the Video is uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDkF_YJ8D1o

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Gazza's machine in flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mDkF_YJ8D1o

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Nice work mate - I can see what you mean about it requiring too much space for McCoy!

Steve Murray

what a beautiful looking bird mate . flies very well and has awesome power to weight there . that landing was spot on and i took a few tips on your approach . I was really amazed on how it touched down . it wanted to stay up but also kept some speed on with flaps . she's a beauty .

What a beautie Gazz !!

Looks like it flice really nicely !!

Well done mate !!!

I'm sure you'll be able to get it to land a lot slower once you get use to it.
After the wheels touched the first time and you flaired it you were able to hold it off for quite a way
till it slowed right up, it seemed to just fly on at a reasonable AOA and then just softly touched down as the speed dropped off. Looked really nice !!

Did you get a chance to take it up high and see what it stalled like? I'll bet it slows right up, like a pusy cat. I could be wrong tho' Smile It's happined more than once before !!

I'm guesing those guys at hanger 9 have a bit of washout built into the wings, just to make it nice to fly ????

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
The first flight was a trim and nerve stabiliser, as well as a battery/ flight time test.
Next one will be a lot longer. The flight batts were still at 3.94 volts per cell after a 3.5 minute flight, so I recon I will do the next one a 5 minutes and then see how that goes.
I'm sure it will be a bit less stressful and I will get a chance to have a better feel of the airframe and see what it does and doesn't like.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Nice build gaz , love the stang . Smile

The sight of a mustang diving at you from height and then low pass is one of my favorite hings in this hobby

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i