Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Eflight Shoestring

I've been having a look at that machine and thinking about putting one together.

Here is a link to some info about the model

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defaul...ID=EFL4205

I was going to go with the following parts to complete it

Eflight power 25 1250 KV motor

Hitec servos HS225 x2 and HS82 X2

Castle creations light Ice 75A ESC

and 4S 2650 Nanotech Lipo

The Links are below:

I was looking at getting the airframe from Hobbies in the hills they have it for $159

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hitec-Mighty-...ntrol_Toys&hash=item53eaae33e5
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hitec-Micro-S...ntrol_Toys&hash=item53ef07d388
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E-Flite-Power...ntrol_Toys&hash=item2a251b78b0

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Castle-Creati...ntrol_Toys&hash=item2a18c1a25d
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Castle-Creati...ntrol_Toys&hash=item53efaa3bff
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Castle-Creati...ntrol_Toys&hash=item256c0c79b9
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Phils-Hobby-Sh...et+spinner&submit=Search&_sid=63379481

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Pack.html

Here's a pic

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

This is a nice slick looking plane Jason.... I like it.Thumbup

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

i think it will be a hi speed demon , with an 8x8 e prop. and a hi speed aerobatic flyer too . it's definately another equation to the mix , somewhere in between a rare bear. yak and extra 260.
Interesting !!

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(13-11-2012, 09:20 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  i think it will be a hi speed demon , with an 8x8 e prop. and a hi speed aerobatic flyer too . it's definately another equation to the mix , somewhere in between a rare bear. yak and extra 260.
Interesting !!

Speed should be in the same ball park as a RareBear or a Viper (Q-500). It's a bit smaller than the Vipers but not much, most likely a bit slipperier. The idea is to have something similar to the vipers than I can fly at McCoy. Obviously the vipers are out on noise grounds.

It will be interesting to land on our short strip, being so slippery. When landing, they really seem to fly on for quite a while, with no straight approach and only about 2 1/3 mins flight time there won't be power for any number of go arounds. it will be a bit of a challange but that's all part of the fun.

Definatly a machine that needs dual rates !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Here's a video of a full sized Shoestring Formular 1 air racer

You can see it's only a small plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QeJE7Ngw1E&list=UUOr3fWanlA3Dq-AV1W1ot2Q&index=15&feature=plcp

It's nice, but being an old-fashioned fart I prefer the lines of the original retro style Shoestring. I'm definitely getting one of these one day or building one from plans ...

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1328.html

Steve Murray

Jason, This May Help You this was my Eflite Lr1a Pogo Build with Racing Spec

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=88&pid=2475#pid2475

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(14-11-2012, 09:29 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Here's a video of a full sized Shoestring Formular 1 air racer

You can see it's only a small plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QeJE7Ngw1E&list=UUOr3fWanlA3Dq-AV1W1ot2Q&index=15&feature=plcp

awesome . sit me in one of them and they would have to make sure there is no fuel in it and battery isolated , cause i'd have to take off . training or no training . Biggrin

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

(15-11-2012, 06:49 PM)samste Wrote:  Jason, This May Help You this was my Eflite Lr1a Pogo Build with Racing Spec

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=88&pid=2475#pid2475

Steve Smile

Thanks Steve !!

Been looking at some Lipo's for this bird.

Since it's a racer and it only needs about 120 seconds of full power carrying any more than enough to do that plus enough to putt around for another min at 1.4 throttle waiting to land is a bit of a waste and a extra weight as well.

EF1 Battery Comparisons
Duration seconds @
Battery type mAh C rating Weight Price supplier Max Current Amps 60.00 Amps

Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 4S 35~70C 2200 35 253 $21.55 HK int 77 132
Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC 2200mah 4S 65~130C 2200 65 259 $38.90 HK int 143 132
Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 4S 25~50C 2200 25 239 $18.25 HK int 55 132
Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 4S 45~90C 2200 45 257 $26.42 HK int 99 132

ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 4S1P 40C 2200 40 250 $19.37 HK aus 88 132
ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 4S1P 45C 2200 45 279 $22.95 HK int 99 132
ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 4S 35C 2200 35 233 $19.64 HK int 77 132

Turnigy nano-tech 2650mah 4S 35~70C 2650 35 291 $29.99 HK int 92.75 159
ZIPPY Flightmax 2650mAh 4S1P 45C 2650 45 329 $25.78 HK int 119.25 159
Turnigy nano-tech 2700mah 4S 65~130C 2700 65 332 $41.37 HK int 175.5 162
ZIPPY Compact 2700mAh 4S 35C 2700 35 284 $23.96 HK int 94.5 162

I decided to change the colour scheme to make it similar to my other planes Here's a pic of the progress so far.

I was quite suprised at the weight difference in the covering I'm using and the original Eflight covering. After weighing it I reckon I've saved about 1/4 of an Oz by re covering it.

The covering is all but done now

Jas ... that looks SWEEEEEEEEET!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

unusual looking plane mate , looking forward to see this one fly with its large wingspan . nice colour scheme .

Surely it doesn't really need ailerons that big for racing, I wonder how much benefit you would get from halving their size and have some nice small inboard slots. Is that even legal Wink

I was thinking along those lines too. It would be easy enough to get a spare set of wings from Eflight to modify them just as you suggest.

As far as the rules go the EF1 planes have to be reasonably scale Formula 1 racers but there is nothing defining the size of the ailerons in the rules. They just have to be built up or balsa sheeted foam and not made in a mould. I would be inclined to tape hinge them at the top surface as well like on most of my models. This would reduce drag further. It would give the plane an edge over the standard shoestring, I reckon.

Here are the EF1 Rules http://www.nmpra.org/rules/EF1NewRules2_...5B1%5D.pdf

It would be easier to do well in the EF1 class as it doesn't seem to be as competitive as Q-500. The planes are slightly slower but not much and it would still be a challenge to fly a really nice line around the course. They look to fly much better than a RareBear too.

We could easily run an EF1 race at PRCAC especially when the willows are gone. It's done over the same short course as the FFC class (RareBears) (for Course details see rules)

In fact we were talking about running a series of T-28 races just to give people a feel for how much fun it is to race around the pylons. Why a T28 well just because everyone has them. I'm hoping we might be able to try that at our field sometime in the new year. I think some T-28s racing would make a great days fun.

The NSW pylon guys are really trying to get more people interested in the sport. Claudio and I were guests at their AGM on Saturday night and they asked the question of us, why people don't come and have a go at pylon racing??

After some reflection, I reckon it's just that they don't know how much fun it is yet because they've never had a go. If you're feeling the need for speed this is the ultimate way to satisfy it !!

I personally find that there's often a barrier to me trying something new and as Claudio pointed out I think there might be a misconception that the pylon flyers are some kind of elite group.
The very best thing about the NSW Pylon Association is the people who fly in it. What a top bunch of blokes, really helpful, enthusiastic, genuine people who love flying model airplanes. They might be great flyers but that's more a result of flying pylon than a prerequisite. Pylon tends to sharpen up your flying a lot!! If a pilot can fly a fast sports model then they can fly a pylon racer and with in a relatively short time, with a little effort they can become competitive.

My personal reason why I didn't get involved (Although I really really wanted to!):

I know the rules try to nullify it but Money = Speed. I could see myself spending way too much...

Well that and I can't build for shit (In regards to Q500)

(03-12-2012, 02:10 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  My personal reason why I didn't get involved (Although I really really wanted to!):

I know the rules try to nullify it but Money = Speed. I could see myself spending way too much...

Well that and I can't build for shit (In regards to Q500)

You should come out and have a look at one of the Pylon days and bring a RareBear. FFC class (RareBears and all the HK fun fighter planes are eligible) They all have to be standardish there is nothing you can change, power system wise, except the prop and the ESC.

The prop must be a 5X5 and the ESC can be anything and the Lipos are Max 1000 4S and must come from HK they can't be the reel deer ones. And they keep an eye on it too. You should have heard the stick I got for using a Graupner prop. No one worried until I got a time of 100 seconds flat then there was ...............Oh that prop and oh this prop and rhubarb rhubarb and offers to shorten it for me ect ect Smile Biggrin all in good fun tho' but granted it was a 5.5 X5.5

Mind you Jeremy flew a time of 88 seconds for the same 10 lap course with a 100% legal rarebear so it's not all about speed it's how you fly the course. My plane would be a little faster than his but 12 seconds is a massive difference and shows how much better he is able to fly the course.

The extra speed I was able to get out of my plane was not really because of the prop, I've always used the Graupner 5.5X5.5 and everyone thought it was slow before so didn't bother protesting.
I'ts a combination of flying the course better having a great caller listening to advice and asking Rangit what he did to his plane as far as drag reduction was concerned. then carefully doing that plus a couple of other air frame tweaks
Basically those involved cutting the cooling vent in the right place putting the spinner back on, covering up the old vents that I put in with tape, and sanding the dimples off the wings fuse and tail with 800 grit paper. Reducing the down thrust and right thrust to almost zero.
It fairly smokes along now.
I'm thinking that the Rarebear is probably the most difficult plane to fly out of the three classes EF1 Q-500 and FFC but it's also the cheapest and a good one is faster than a slow to average Viper!!

John Little's rarebear times on the long course were faster than a lot of Viper times.

You can buy an expensive composite Q-500 and get a little more speed as they are slipperier but you'll still have to fly it superbly to beat SRL. The wooden viper ARF kits are pretty cheap It costs more to set up an EF1 than a great planes viper.

Money does = speed with the faster classes Like F-400 and F3D but your looking at super speed there, they are outrageously fast!!

Here's another plane in the same league,

The sundowner 36 from Hamger 9
with the Eflight power 25 1250KV it meets the class rules for EF1. It looks like a nice machine too

http://youtu.be/kiz3Mb-SvdA

ooooooh yeah thats a nice plane Jason . i could use one of those . it comes in a bit hot though for prcac . still i love that plane 1400 kv would be better .

It might go better with the 1400 but I think the evolution 40 glow power option would be a hoot !!

Seriously it's not that hot at landing, should be able to get it down at Mccoy no probs at all, would come in slower than a rarebear.

and slower than Gazz's PC9 no probs getting them down on our field

Now that Sundowner F1 is one fine lookin aircraft... Eflite 160 10s 17 x 12 prop Yeeeehaaaaaa... that sucker has just been added to the Gotta get me one of those book.... good luck gettin it back on the ground... we are talkin intrecontinental balistic missile boy!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

MY GOD , IT SAYS 3 OR 4S . I WAS THINKING 6S MAX . That vid is probably on 4S

Sorry to confuse you there Frank. The aircraft I'm refering to is that ones big brother, its called the Sundowner F1 and has an 80" wingspan... Sick...

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Yes Gazz,
That's the big one from Hanger 9, they make a 50 size one as well. so there's three sizes a 36 a 50 and an 80 size

The 36 is 51.5" span, the 50 is 63" span and the 80 has a span of 80.5"

I reckon the 36 size plane with a 40 size engine would have to pretty quick. !!
It's the same size as the Shoestring & they go OK with a power 25 so a 40 should really make them one move, I'd think.

It's more of a fast racing/sports areobatic model. It shouldn't be really heavy tho' just slipery and fast and still reasonably light.

i think i'll put the 36 sized one on my list , it will have to wait though as a dx8 is going to expose my secret stash again , ill be looking at the power 25 or better . i guess a nitro would be nice . but dont get me going there , it took you ages Jason to convince me that electric 3D flying was all the rage . Lol

No I'd be moe inclined to go for the powe 25 1250 as it meets the rules for EF1 then.

I reckon it would be a hoot and a quite a bit faster with a hot 40 up the front it's made for that option.

Here's another EF1 this time from Great Planes "Proud Bird"
Towelly was talking about setting one of these up. That will make EF1 more interesting !!
especially now that Claudio has a Pogo !!

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/gre...260_e.html

My Lipo's arrived today now all I need is some finishing touches and some nice weather !!

^^^^^ that another nice looker . and i bet speed demon .

Well I set the shoestring up and all ready to go
I thought i might test it out on the ground
I opened the throttle, holding on to the tail, let it rev flat out static for about 45 seconds and the ESC caught fire. I only just managed to put it out before the plane was badly damaged.

This is a nice ESC too it's a pheonix ICELIGHT 75A ESC and the motor prop combination I'm using only draws about 50A................It's going back for warenty on Monday.......Bloody American rubish never had a good chinease one do that to me Smile

Fortunatly I was able to source another one to use in the mean time whileI wait for it to come back.

I'm super glad this didn't happen in the air !!!

I've had 3 Castle Creations ESC's fail on me, only two less than Turnigy but in terms of percentage owned about 75%. Nice to see you get what you pay for Wink

I wont ever buy one due to the many years of trouble. Such a tremendous complaint rate on the internet.

One of hundreds of forum threads "Is that a BBQ?, nope its another castle cremations": http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t684948p1/

One of thousands of stories:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=hBX-M5fk0mM