Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aircraft Markings question
Wink 

Hi all.
Just designing some markings for my Moraine and i have a question for all the enthusiests out there.

Im trying to work out the tail markings for the plane. Now, if the aircraft is travelling from the right to the left (nose of the aircraft if faceing to the left), the tail markings go Red on the leading edge, white then blue on the trailing edge.

Now if the aircraft turns and travels in the opposite direction, left to right, (nose pointed to the right) are tge colours in the same order, ie red on leading edge, then white and blue trailing or are they reversed, blue on leading edge, white and red trailing?

Im just trying to work out if the colours are read left to right in which case they are reversed on one side or if the same colour always faces the front of the aircraft in which case they are the same on both sides. hope this makes sense.

thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Don't know about the way the French might have done it Mick, but the British ones always had the same colour at the leading edge of the fin - often actually wrapping around the leading edge. I expect it would be the same for you, but then again the French have their own ways of doing things.

Steve Murray

The scheme I'm going for will be for an australian based squadron from WWI called the Australian Half-Flight or Mesopotamian Half-Flight (so called because the aussies could only muster enough air and ground crew to form half a flight squadron).

However, 'cause it's my plane and I get to make the rules, I'm going to bend history a bit and pretend that the Half-Flight were supplied with the Morane's from the French in addition to the Farman MF.11 and the Farman MF.7 supplied by the Indian Government.

So I am going to go with a WWI RAF style markings for around 1917 (yes I know the wiki says the Half-Flight were formed in 1915 but this is MY history Tounge ) as this is how the Australian aircraft were marked. I just wasn't sure how the tail markings were displayed as I have seen different sources say different things. I'm happy to go with Red on the leading edge on both sides however I'm still open to comment or suggestions.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

The French have blue forward white in the middle & red aft.

The British have red forward white middle & blue aft.

John.

(10-11-2012, 10:26 AM)Kedumba Wrote:  Now if the aircraft turns and travels in the opposite direction, left to right, (nose pointed to the right) are tge colours in the same order, ie red on leading edge, then white and blue trailing or are they reversed, blue on leading edge, white and red trailing?

Im just trying to work out if the colours are read left to right in which case they are reversed on one side or if the same colour always faces the front of the aircraft in which case they are the same on both sides. hope this makes sense.

thanks
Mick

Mick, I think you will find the convention is to think of the tail fin as a French flag fixed to the tail. That would mean the blue leading edge viewed from either side and red trailing edge with white in the middle when flying.

Attached Files
.gif spaceout.gif Size: 43 bytes  Downloads: 214

Thanks for the replies. I'm going for English style markings not the french so I'll put the red at the leading edge on both sides.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Hey Mick,
When do you expect to have the Bronco in the air, what wingspan is it?... a few build specs please?They have always been a personal favorite of mine... really looking forward to the completion of that build and seeing it in the sky!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(15-11-2012, 04:46 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Hey Mick,
When do you expect to have the Bronco in the air, what wingspan is it?... a few build specs please?They have always been a personal favorite of mine... really looking forward to the completion of that build and seeing it in the sky!

Hmm, I was actually thinking about that the other day. I have everything I need to start building except for a couple of ESC's. I think from memory I need 2 x 60 Amp. Oh, and either a couple of decent batterys or one honking big one. Everytime I get some spare money I seem to have something else to spend it on, like my Tek Sumo (parts on their way from HK even as we speak!)

Can't remember the specs off hand but i thin it had a wingspan of either 1000mm or maybe 1200mm

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF