Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dynam T28 Trojan

One of my biggest regrets was never buyimg a Trojan when
everyone else was, and then watching everyone have heaps
of fun flying them.
Well regrets no more!..........
I bought the Dynam T28 1270mm with retracts,nav lights and flaps ready.
I've installed the flaps but have not done anything with the lights as the cables are not terminated when you get them and people on RCGroups reckon that they are not very bright anyway.
Down the track I may replace the leds as all the hard work of wiring them has been done at the factory.
Couple of little things I did not like were the minature pilots that come with the plane they looked stupid, so I have replaced them with a larger single pilot.
Of course I would not be me if I did not repaint a model so I have done a little custom job on that too.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Looks the biz Paul. Smuzz flies his on 4S. Rips up the sky.

Only tip is to land the plane on the rear wheels as often as you can. The nose wheel is not very tolerant to a nose first landing. Also, it might pay to undo the small screws holding the retract servos in place and put a drop of thread lock on. They undo in flight and fall out otherwise.

Yea Dave I can see that the nose wheel will be a problem.
May change out the struts after I've had a fly of it.
Will also thread lock the screws all round.
I intend to fly it with 4s too.
Hey Steve what kind of flight times are you getting? and what size battery
are you using?

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Nice catch PJ - you'll like this one.

I haven't flown mine for a while because I need to do a bit of work on it - mainly tweaking the thrust-line. I couldn't help myself and replaced the motor and ESC before the first flight because of reports on RCGroups that it's a little underpowered on the stock setup, even though it does fly nicely.

I put some 2450 mAh 4S Zippy Flightmax batteries in and things were good! However, I want to put another prop on it to look more scale - I've got an FMS Trojan prop which I'm going to cut down and balance. I was getting 5 minutes with plenty to spare, but your mileage will vary of course. Here's a short write-up which I did at the time before I forgot all the details ...

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=239&pid=13871#pid13871

On a side note, I also got the Dynam AT-6 Texan too and was flying it again late today - love it! It's going to be the subject of a kit-bash to convert it to a Wirraway.

Steve Murray

love the paint work a Paul . looks mean as . i have learnt my lesson , anything that comes pnf . needs an upgrade battery atleast.

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Thanks for the comments guys.
Yes Steve motor upgrade will be something I'll be doing
once I've had a couple of flights on stock with 4S.
Have you found that you needed additional magnets on the battery cover?
Mine seems a bit loose and I don't want to lose it in the reeds on her maiden.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

(07-11-2012, 10:59 PM)paulj Wrote:  Thanks for the comments guys.
Yes Steve motor upgrade will be something I'll be doing
once I've had a couple of flights on stock with 4S.
Have you found that you needed additional magnets on the battery cover?
Mine seems a bit loose and I don't want to lose it in the reeds on her maiden.
Yes Paul - my cowl needed some extra attention too. For the moment I've just used double-sided tape while I fiddle about with the thrust-line but some extra magnets are definitely needed. The factory-installed magnets are probably alright, but I think they're recessed too deeply into the foam and don't mate up properly. Another little wrinkle to iron out - but at the price, this is to be expected.
Nice paint-job on yours too, I forgot to mention last time - sorry about that!

Steve Murray

Yes I agree.. that paint job looks excellent!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Those of you who saw my Dynam T28 last weekend
will remember that I complained that I had trouble getting it into the air.
Well even though we tested the battery with 2 different meters at the field
and it appeared ok there must be something wrong with it when
under load.
Tested with watt meter today and it only generated 255W at approx 25A.
Changed batteries and tried again and this time got 550W at 37A.
That's more like what I was expecting.
Not sure if I can make it tomorrow yet but hoping to be there.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Yip! It looked to be struggling as soon as the nose-wheel left the runway mate. I'm glad you've got a certain cause of the problem.

The weather looks excellent again for tomorrow, even if it's a little on the warm side. Hope to see you there!

Steve Murray

Stock Retract Fix for Dynam T28.

After taking Cris up on His T28 Dynam and finding the front retract failing alot because the plastic pinion breaks very easily even on the softest landings i decided to do rework with a ordered replacement gear assembly.

Lets see how this Goes now, if Cris has fixed his already i will get Steve M to give it a work out.

Drilled and fit solid metal pin instead of plastic pin using stock t28 retract gear replacement Part.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Good thinking Champ - as per usual for your modus operandi.

One small matter - it's actually the Durafly T-28, not the Dynam ... but it's easy to mix 'em up.
The nose-retract on the Durafly model is a very annoying flaw in what is otherwise a superb model (on 4S anyway Smile ) I absolutely love this machine, and I never thought I would ... funny isn't it.

Anyway, nice work on the trunion Steve - it looks smooth and slick. Smile
I'd love to be there tomorrow to give it a balls-out test, but I think we're going to be grounded.

Steve Murray

I was thinking of putting a Hacker in my Trojan ... but this is as far as I got Wink

Steve Murray

I had another two flights of mine last weekend and it's getting better.

I've placed a couple of those plastic prop-centring washers behind the top of the motor to give it some more down-thrust and it's much better, but could probably still do with a little more. As it is, the prop is now close to the cowl at the bottom so I might have to shave a bit off the back of the cowl so that it slides on with an angle built into it too - that will help disguise the down-thrust to an extent. I think I might also have a little too much right-thrust too, so more tweaking required there.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to really love this plane, but as Kevin pointed out - I might be rushing things a bit, and perhaps with some further tweaks it will finally come good. It does howl along nicely on 4S with the stock prop, so that part of it is all good - and I've not had any real trouble with the retracts yet either.

I guess I'll give it a bit more time and attention, but if it doesn't come good it's gunna get the heave-ho!

Steve Murray

You wanna git that there big old FMS Trojan built boy, let me tell you, ye won't be needin them littluns no more.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yes mate - that's precisely why this one is on short notice to shape up!

Steve Murray