Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help need some suggestions.

I have just bought a portable generator (900W)
to take to the fields with me to charge my batteries.
Reading the instruction booklet it suggests that it be
earthed via an earthing rod and cable.
There is even an attachment point on the generator for it.
What do you electrical guys think?
Should I do this and if so where would I buy the earthing rod and cable?
Also must mention that you tube videos of this model makes it
sound pretty quiet so hopefully I won't distrub you all when
I'm using it. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

You could just get a copper rod clamp an earth wire to it and drive it into the ground or you could do what I do with my little genset out bush and don't worry about it.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Earth Stake is a Good Idea as it Then Provides a Earth Point to the 240 watt Power and Safety Switches actually work on Them Then.
Treat them with Respect as they are still 240volts and Very Dangerous.

Copper Earth Rods can be picked up at Any electrical Wholesaler and there not very Dear and come with a Clamps.
A large long metal tent peg can do the trick as well, its just copper is such a good conductor so hence used for earthing and does not rust.

A generator needs to have a grounding electrode normally if the case is grounded by the neutral conductor, this is to prevent spikes, higher voltages, imbalances between it and the ground .
Its normally the generator will state if it has a grounded neutral, then its wise to earth.

Also very good idea to earth if the equipment you are running Requires an Earth or is not double insulated.

Confused ? Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Confused ?.......yep. Smile
Thanks for the advice will see about getting a copper earth rod.
Just to be safe. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Paul,

AS3010:2005 states that earthing of portable generators via earth stake is neither required or recommended.

You will actually sacrifice electrical isolation. I appreciate I have given you conflicting advice to Samste, but it is correct.

Don't buy an earth stake and root around with it at the field. It won't do anything for you except cost you time and money.

I should also explain that an isolated power supply (one with no connection to earth) is a good thing. If you were to accidentally touch a live wire from the generator, you actually wouldn't get a shock due to this "isolation". There is no circuit formed through your body (to earth). Like a bird landing on an overhead power wire.

If you earth the generator with a stake, a potential circuit will now exist so that if you touch that same live wire as above, your body now forms a circuit (back to the earth stake through the ground) and you get electrocuted - unless a protective device is there to save you (eg. RCD).

Isolated power supplies are completely impractical for wider energy distribution systems so they don't exist other than portable generators and special circuits (connected through isolation transformers).

I LIKE THAT skids . WELL EXPLAINED INDEED . i should point out that i have seen many of these portable units , i have never seen one earthed to a pole ever .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Sorry Paul, neglected to mention that I am a licensed electrician like Samste.

Lol Bird on a wire, Only if your truly not earthed.

Class 2 Stuff, double insulated is what is good to run from it and lot safer as there is no earth required on the objects and potentiol there for
electrical hazzard is minimised.

Class 1 Stuff that requires an earth really should have a true earth and rcd protection.

I know when i have tested Generators in the past in the workplace they where separately earthed and mandatory Rcd protected buts thats the workplace environment.
(safety switch needs an earth to operate correctly not a bond to neutral as theres no imbalance then)

And if i was to run earthed equipment i would prefer Safety switch Protection and earthing.
Using an earthed equipment (class 1) that is faulty and not knowing theres a potentiol electrical hazzard till i accidently ground myself by kneeling down on the ground or touch an earthed object is not my cup of tea.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(06-11-2012, 09:32 PM)samste Wrote:  I know when i have tested Generators in the past in the workplace they where separately earthed and mandatory Rcd protected buts thats the workplace environment.
(safety switch needs an earth to operate correctly not a bond to neutral as theres no imbalance then)

And if i was to run earthed equipment i would prefer Safety switch Protection and earthing.

Steve, construction sites are different regs. RCDs are mandatory on all construction sites. RCDs wont work unless there is an earth stake as there must be an earth for them to work as you say.

We also forgot to tell Paul that the earth stake has to be less than 2 ohms (from memory) resistance between stake and earth mass. To get that, you need to urinate on it (power off of course). A lot of hassle. I am interested in the quietness of his genny. I believe they are pretty quiet these days.

Just a question Samste, when you use your 240Vac inverters in your van, do you hammer in an earth stake?

Biggrin

LOL I have stirred up you sparkies haven't I Smile
Really appreciate you all taking the time to reply.
My only intention with this generator is to use at the field
to charge my lipo's nothing else (maybe a soldering iron once in awhile)
Will just ignore the earth rod part of the instructions.
Weather permitting I'll bring it down to McCoy on the weekend.
Thanks

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Yes Biggrin

Just exercising our brains.

I agree Dave,
Its All Good Paul, Love to talk Shop Now and Again, Keeps the Brain Active from the normal day to day stuff.

Steve Smile

Edit They where selling these a while back at the Electrical Wholesaler or they were very similar model to Clip but the brand was Definately Taurus, i think it was a bulk buy in, i missed out but they were about $200
Here is a Link of what they Looked like and sounded like (Aldi overseas must of been selling them Too)

http://youtu.be/Ep55Me-Nbko

That's the one I've bought.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6