Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

F4U Corsair !!!!!! FMS
Thumbs Up 

words need not be spoken .
Biggrin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

That looks really nice Frank. I like the detail in the FMS models and I am curious to see how it sounds on an open throttle low pass. The three blade FMS T28s have a very nice sound - one of the best at McCoy in my opinion.

Is that fixed landing gear I see?

Looks very nice Frank, I am looking forward to seeing that beastie in the air.
I was in two minds when I ordered my FMS T28, I was very close to getting the Corsair.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yes, it looks the business alright!
Please don't forget about the CoG manipulations though. Looking forward to seeing this rip.

Steve Murray

it has rotating retracts , a very quiet scale sounding 4 blade prop , low rpm 500KV ON 4S .
the cg was about 97 mm with the battery right up the front . i added 2 strips of lead about 70mmx10mmx 1mm each , directly behind the prop inside the cowel .
it has been fully assembled without glue , IT SCREWS TOGETHER . i just put a little hotment on the cowel to keep it on , and on all the wiring just to secure it ( 2 drops) .
its quite sturdy . it is all set up and ready to go . on 4s pulls 45amps 600 watts .
I ADDED A FEW DECALS . i love it .
still deciding wether to pull it apart and add a little glue for structural strength , the kit comes with the rubber glue in a tube , but the instructions dont suggest you use glue anywhere , i am very impressed with the quality of the build , nothing needed redoing at all and everything fitted at factory was tight and right .

it has the req 90mm CG now , and should run for around 7 minutes on 2600mah 4s
i build slow and take time , this thing was ready in 4 hours .
i may maiden the PANTHER and the CORSAIR tomorrow if the weather permits .
the corsair is placed between two chairs and parked where my car normally sits in the garage , still havent worked out where or how to hang it .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Excellent !!!! Good Luck with it tomorrow, I'm sure it will fly great!!
Put it down gently on those retracts.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

If the Corsair is close in weight to the Trojan, I dont think you will get anywhere near 7 minutes.
All the FMS birds run the same 500kv 4S motor, and it is a ripper, they do however all have different props.
My Trojan pulls 48 amps so my prop is obviously loading the motor more, probably because the Trojan is heavier, but just a warning on your first flights, I only get 5 minutes aerobatic and 6 minutes scale flight out of a 4S 4000 so be careful how long you stay up there on that 2600.

Have a nice flight
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

ok thanks GAZ . i'll set the 1st flight for 5 minutes . i had planned 6 minutes . but best to be on the safe side incase a few approaches are needed . cheers . Just re read your post . 6 minutes out of 4s 4000 !!!!

struth !!!!!! it will be on the ground inside 5 minutes then .
on the wattmeter it used 348 mah in 90 seconds @ 3/4 throttle . i thought based on that it would have a fair time in the air . but saying that , i will definately land in under 5 minutes after a flight .

Yep - good luck with it Frank.
You can always take it easy and be conservative for the first few flights ... and then stick a 5S in it a few weeks down the track really rip across the field!

Steve Murray

I am getting 10 minute flights easy on 4S 4000 but then again I am supposed to have the same motor but can only manage to pull 30A. My FMS T28 couldn't pull a granny off a bedpan - so I fly nearly full throttle on those 10 minutes. (I cant surely have the same motor? The assembly line worker must have grabbed the Stuka motor.)

Yes Frank

I only get 5-6 miniutes out of 4S 4000mah 30-40C on my FMS Trojan just like Gaz. I would recommend you fly for 3.5minutes, land and check, then extend the time as you see fit. but I do have a friend who used to get 10minutes out of his P47 on 5000mah.

Good luck. I think the FMS planes are the best fomies you can buy. As long as you keep them away from Gaz you will not have any electronics or retracts problems.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hey George..... Bite me!!!!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(25-10-2012, 09:57 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Hey George..... Bite me!!!!

Seriously, My FMS Trojan retracts refuse to work when I fly with you around. When you are not there they work flawlessly.Confused....
See you on Saturday for sorties flying with the Trojans.Thumbup

thanks guys . ill definaltey consider your points of advice . it's appreciated . on a 6minute static test . each cell still measured 3.92 volts . on the banana hobbies site , they say you can get 7 to 8 minutes on the standard battery . however i notice on 2 of their videos they are flying them and landing at 4 minutes .
i figured a way to hang it . now my car can get back in the garage . i think i might do a little more work on the corsair before it's maiden . i dont like the fact that i only screwed it together . a little light gluing might satisfy my mind a bit more .

I WOKE UP SEVERELY GRUMPY THIS MORNING . deciding wether i should maiden the panther and have a few flights with the yak 55 . The thing on my mind is i have to pick up daughter at 2.15 pm and off to work at 4pm for a 6 o'clock start 12 hour night shift at port botany , home at 8 am tomorrow to take kids back to school . no sleeping till 9am tomorrow for me . i usually rest before a night shift . i think i just might put it off till i get a full day off .
here is a pic of its home . the shape of the wings came in handy to hang it . its weight bearing is on the wings , with a little 6mm round bar i got and bent around a light pole out the front . used the brick holes to bend the angles in it and bingo . it fits under the cowel and just hooks around the fuse to stop it falling back . perfect fit between shelves .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(24-10-2012, 10:12 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Yep - good luck with it Frank.
You can always take it easy and be conservative for the first few flights ... and then stick a 5S in it a few weeks down the track really rip across the field!

hahaha . would like to get more opinions on this option , there is a guy on youtube who was flying his FMS P51 MUSTANG stock on 5s . i only noticed one video of this plane on his list , a month or 2 later he was flying his NEW FMS CORSAIR ON 4S . in his video comments he said the corsair was replAcing his mustang p51 as it caught fire onboard LOL ......

I have just started flying my Trojan on 5S, but the only reason I decieded to do that was because I broke the prop. It is a 13 x 9 3 blade standard. I replaced it with a Masterairscrew 13 x 8 3 blade. Static tests have the new prop only drawing 2 more amps than the stocker was on 4S, I am however using maximum throttle in short bursts, but now it flies as fast on 5S at half throttle as it did at full throttle on the standard setup. Vertical performance is awseome!

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(25-10-2012, 12:00 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I have just started flying my Trojan on 5S, but the only reason I decieded to do that was because I broke the prop. It is a 13 x 9 3 blade standard. I replaced it with a Masterairscrew 13 x 8 3 blade. Static tests have the new prop only drawing 2 more amps than the stocker was on 4S, I am however using maximum throttle in short bursts, but now it flies as fast on 5S at half throttle as it did at full throttle on the standard setup. Vertical performance is awseome!

Gazz

Just 2 more Amps but the watts have gone up by more than 25%
and you've probably got an efficiency gain of a few % by using a better prop, thrown into the bargain!! Biggrin

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

""" CORSAIR MAIDEN FLIGHT REPORT """""

A nice sunny calm today and time for the Corsair to go up , neutral wind so i had my choice of air space , and solace as no one was at the field .
TAKE OFF " upon throttle up , to my surprise in about 2-3 ft it was up in the air and away , leveled out and hardly needed trim , just 1 click of right aileron and 2 clicks of down trim , relatively slow and quiet and erratic , after a few passes i put the landing gear up , that was nice to see , flew around for 4 minutes on light to 3/4 throttle in level flight ,tried inverted and noticed NEUTRAL balance ever so slightly tail heavy , so the 2650 mah 4s pack and 60grams of lead was right on the money , put down landing gear and floated down at 1/3 throttle for a no fuss touch down the neutral balance kept the nose up but the flight was a little floaty ..
MY next thoughts were the reports suggest nose heavy is better than neutral for this war bird , so i thought another 10 grams of lead might suffice , so 10 grams of lead went on for the 2nd flight .
Also the battery only used 270 mah per minute , so increased flight time to 5 minutes for the 2nd flight .
""" 2ND FLIGHT """ up and away she went 1 click of up elevator and now the bird floated with a nice sink rate and direct flight ;
inverted flight now rendered a slight dive , but the flying was more controlled and direct . No fuss landing , but i noticed slow flight characteristics are definitely risky , it wont drop a wing but it will fall out of the sky , and if you slow up low you will unexpectedly lose altitude, and when throttling up , you don't want to overpower and lift the nose too high it will stall , this makes it a little advanced characterised in pilot flying , cause you could easily take out trees on a climb out if your speed isn't right . It needs 3/4 throttle for flying and 1/2 throttle for feathered flight and landing .
""" 3RD FLIGHT""" increased the time to 5 min 40 seconds and gave some enthusiastic flying ago , a few low passes at full speed , it can catch you out as too low a pass it is capable of suddenly dropping 1 or 2 feet , and wont easily climb out at a high angle , very quiet prop , nice wind sound from wings and great scale looking plane in flight , it drops on turn in just like the real thing and begs for a high speed low pass every time . Flying over the runway at full stick the sound is great and i managed to get the CORSAIR WHISTLE once or twice.
The wind started to pick up and it seems the bird does not like the wind , especially at high speed . came in for a 1/2 throttle landing and stalled just above runway , which gave it a nose over and broke one blade of the prop .

""" VERDICT"" BEAUTIFUL scale war bird not for sport flying or aerobatics , although hi speed rolls are no problem , loops etc aren't really this planes forte' .Slightly underpowered /undertorqued , but fast enough for the frame on flat stick in a dive , in fact you wouldn't want more speed , just a little more torque would be nice . I expected more from that 42-50 500 kv Motor .
Overall a pleasurable plane to fly . It must be flown at all times , it likes the ground , so must be kept in the air and flown in for landing .
SWEEEEEET """"""

Glad it went well Wingtipper - an interesting and detailed report there too!

Steve Murray

(25-10-2012, 12:00 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I have just started flying my Trojan on 5S, but the only reason I decieded to do that was because I broke the prop. It is a 13 x 9 3 blade standard. I replaced it with a Masterairscrew 13 x 8 3 blade. Static tests have the new prop only drawing 2 more amps than the stocker was on 4S, I am however using maximum throttle in short bursts, but now it flies as fast on 5S at half throttle as it did at full throttle on the standard setup. Vertical performance is awseome!

Gazz

Gary i am looking at this option of 5S . these FMS MODELS CAN COME WITH 3 DIFFERENT MOTORS !!!! mine V2 has the 4250 500kv . the later comes with 4250 580kv . and the early version comes with a 3536 650kv .

my 4 blade prop is 14"x 8" . no doubt if my motor is the same as yours ill have to go to a 13x8 3 blader prop . ( WHERE DO I BUY THESE ????) THEY ARE A 1055 WATT 45 AMP RATED MOTOR AND CAN RUN 7s seems a waste at 600watts 45amps .

I got my 13 x 8 3 blader from Hobbies in the Hills. Its a master airscrew!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

well the 5s 3000mah , 20c zippy batteries arrived today , so i charged them and tested them versus the FMS 4S 2600MAH 25C BATTERY , WITH THE STOCK PROP , 14X8 4BLADE , AND THE STOCK 50AMP ESC
RESULTS ON 4S . 45 AMPS 613 WATTS .
5S 54 AMPS 1038 WATTS . spike , dropping to constant 49 amps 988 watts .
after a 4minute static test at 50% throttle at 10 amps 248 watts . the motor was too hot to touch .

conclusion . stock prop is too much and needs to be downsized .

ithen tried a lightwood 15x6 . and the results on 5s were 38 amps 635 watts . <<<< thats less than the 4 blade prop on 4 s !!!!!!!!

therefore . the maximum motor rating of 45 amps or 1055watts @7s .
then 5s =19.8 volts . @45 amps = 891 watts . hoping i can get a scale prop closer to these figures . perhaps a 3 blade 13x8 as previously suggested .
i find it amazing that a 4 blade 14x8 on 4s
draws more current than a 2 blade 15x6 on 5s.

ill think i'll take it out tomorrow and do a few flight tests with them .

If you read the conversion data for 2 to 3 then 3 to 4 blade props you will see why.
You can do the Maths on the 4 to 5S upgrade.
Generally if you up the S rating on a specific airframe with the same motor, you will need to prop down...
Droping the diameter 1" and adding 2" of pitch is never going to work.

If you want to do a proper comparison, use this:

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm

Make sure you read through and understand all the input points, do a few checks on known setups so you are happy you are using it properly. Then check you latest setup.

I use this algorithm for every plane I build now and it is right on the money.

PS: I spent 4 hours mucking around with this thing when I found it, to teach myself how to use it properly.

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

GREAT , thanks Gary .
what i have done is try my electric light wood 2 blade 16x6 props . i have 2 of them fully balanced .
the readings are spot on here . as i get 46amps 918 watts on spike here and settles to about 870 watts . PURRRRFECT .
I T LOOKS GOOD TOO , i guess scale buffs would call this sacreligious . but the 16x6 is perfect for the 5s setup . the 14x8 4 blader is too big , and the 15x6 lightwood too small .

looking forward to flying tomorrow . the lightwood 16x6 prop is very noisy in comparison to the 4 blader . so hopefully it might sound a little like 4 stroking.

online though i may order a 14x7 3 blader master airscrew and 13x8 from hobbies in the hills if they still have any . i feel though the 16x6 is just great foir this as it might just pull down speed and have great thrust .

JUST CHECKED OUT THAT LINK . THE FIGURES ON THAT CALC MATCH THE FIGURES I WAS GETTING IN THE GARAGE TO THE LAST AMP . EXCELLENT LINK . CHEERS .

ohhhh and couldnt help myself . the 3 blade master airscrew 14x7 is on the way from china to my door .

flew it today after more mods .
it now has 5s and a 16x6 lightwood prop .
i went from the stock 4s 2600mah batt to a 5s 3000mah battery pack . that has increased the power from 600 to 850 + watts .
the prop sounds quite nice although i think the 4 blader although quiter sounded better .
THESE CORSAIRS are known to be tail heavy stock . on the 4s i found that , and had to add about 70grams of lead on the cowel . the good news is .
i could remove it with the 5s 3000mah battery . i can get 6 minutes of good flying and shes a pleasure to fly , love that wind sound . and it is one of those models where you can just let go of the sticks on a flyby and watch it go passed . still a little nose heavy on inverted flight but as i took the weight out of the nose i noticed the plane became a little twitchy , so i wont be changing the nose heavy side of things .
i love it , shouldve come out with 5s , its certainly not overpowered with 5s but just right .

OK GUYS , DUE TO A HARDER THAN NORMAL TOUCHDOWN !!! ONE RETRACT HAS ( SPAT THE DUMMY ) -bent the threaded shaft and is not repairable , the other retract folding doors went out in sympathy .
these are rotating servoless retracts with closing doors . i dont know anything about retracts as yet .
SO I THOUGHT I'D CHEAT !!! WHATS THE FIX !!!*upgrade / or stock replacements ?
do i have to fit FMS ones , or are there others out there that will fit .

help appreciated in advance

Hi Frank,
I had the same problem with my FMS P40, being 90 degree rotating servoless retracts the worm drive takes the full impact of landing the aircraft and they are certainly not up to the task in opinion. So when mine failed I locked them in the down position while I investigated an alternative. I certainly wasn't paying the price for inferior FMS replacement parts but with the help of one of our members who frequents the cyber he put me onto Philip Workwshop.
Have a look at these retracts, they maybe a drop in solution.

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/pr...8ace8f00cf

Good Luck
Chris M

Thanks heaps Chris those look identical . Are they different stronger aftermarket retracts ?

Hi Frank,
As I didn't end up buying a replacement set for my P40 and these were not the ones I was considering anyway, I don't know if they would be stronger than the originals.
I assume you looked at some of the other sevoless retracts on the site suitable for heavier planes, that is what I was considering, thinking that they would be up to the task but would require modifications to fit them.

Good luck and if you do buy them I will be interested on your comments.

Cheers
Chris

like i said this is my only lead chris . i'm assuming they are unique to the fms corsair and genuine replacements , i nothing about other types or fitments . i still dont know what closes the doors after the retracts retract , i know they are controled by a sequencer , all i can assume is that these retracts are most likely the same retracts . saying that they are probably the only ones that are compatable too .
i really wouldnt have a clue. im glad you found them for me , i will buy them if no one suggests any alternatives or shares what they have replaced theirs with . cheers .