Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Introduction and some Questions

Hi All,
I'm a new member of the group and so I just wanted to drop a message to say hi and to ask some advice, as it looks like this weekend down the field is out due to the wind and I won't be able to make it down next weekend due to work commitments.

Basically I'm saving to buy a plane and a Transmitter. I would also like to get myself a Heli at some stage as I have had experience with a Walkera 1B heli and would love to learn how to fly one properly.

Question 1: What Transmitter should I buy? How many Channels do I need?

Currently I'm looking at a Spektrum tx for no other reason than they seem to have been around the longest on the 2.4gb band and that the recievers seem to be marginally cheaper than the other brands. I am open to looking at other brands however I don't know much about them.

I'm leaning towards a Spektrum DX6i which most places seem to have at $299. I've looked at the DX7 however at $599 I don't know that an extra $300 for an extra channel is worth it.

Finally I've noticed that the EFlight Blade 400 seems to have had a price reduction, Takeoff and Land in WA currently have them advertised at $450 (http://www.takeoffandland.com.au/produc ... ts_id=2612). This price includes the Spektrum DX6i transmitter and is RTF out of the box.

Question 2: What Plane should I buy?

Darren has suggested that I look at the Parkzone t28 Trojan as a good first plane. I like the look of it but want to know others opinions of it or what suggestions anyone else may have

Thanks all
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Hi Mick,
Welcome to the forum/club.
I only started out in this hobby around April so I know
what it's like deciding on what to get.
I ended up with a Spektrum DX6i radio and don't regret it.
I bought an ST Cessna as my first plane based on the recommendations of other members
and I have found it a nice plane to learn on.
My son bought a T28 Trojan for his first plane and he love that too.
I'd say that either one would be a good choice your you to start with.
I also bought second hand an Electrofun Xp which came with a 27 Mhz radio.
I've greatly modified this plane since and changed receivers over to a Spektrum so
that I no longer use the 27 Mhz.
We do have a few members on 36Mhz but the majority of members are using 2.4 Ghz.
We have some high voltage electricity cables that run across our flying field and there has been
some incidents where we believe the 36Mhz has glitched because of them.
DX7 Radio of course has the extra channel but also has a few extra features that the DX6i doesn't have
Guess if you can afford it that would be they one to get so that you can "grow" into it but
I'm happy with my DX6i.

cheers

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I just bought a DX7 for $519 at Onestophobbies on Victoria Rd Rydalmere. The only cheaper place I found is RCHobbies in liechhardt for $499, but they're out of stock (Like most shops) and don't know when the importer is going to receive more. I decided I'd rather pay the extra $20. I'm a new member so I'm just giving you the little info I've found about Radios. The main differences I've found between the DX6i & DX7 is: Batteries for the Transmitter - the DX6i uses 4 X AA Alkalines whereas the DX7 has a NiMH rechargeable pack. If you just put rechargeable AA's in the DX6i, not sure you'll have enough voltage (4.8V instead of the 6V you get from Alkalines). Also I think when you buy the DX6i package you get Tx & Rx but no Servos whereas with the DX7 although you do pay ~ $200+ extra, you do also get 4 digital (full size) DS821 Servos which retail at $50+ each, & Tx & Rx NiMH rechargeable battery Packs & obviously the 7Channel AR700 Rx. DX7 does have extra features although I'm still reading through the Manual and not sure of the differences. Nice Unit though. I Just need to finish my Model. I've got a couple of Planes from years ago and I'm currently converting an Aerobatic Slope Soarer (Glider) to Brushless Electric. Hope to have it ready by next weekend. Good Luck. See You down at the field sometime.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

G'day Mick,

I definitely recommend the T28 Trojan, I maidened mine today without a fuss despite the stupidly gusty conditions which is a testament to the stable and responsive design (I should be a parkzone rep Wink )

If you were only going to fly planes I'd say just start with the Dx6i but if you really wanna go Heli's in the future then you'll have a much easier time setting them all up with a Dx7. The features of the 2 radio's are comparable but its much easier to get a Dx7 to do what you want especially when you get to complex things like Heli's. Its worth noting that there are several Dx7 packages around, some come with full size servo's and some come with micro's.
I originally got my DX7 from RC Hobbies for $529 a few years ago so you really don't wanna pay more than that.

+1 what everyone else said

the t28 trojan is awesome, they do however have one major design flaw.. they cannot withstand a full speed head on collision with another t28 trojan... Lol

as for the radio i think its an easy decision buy the dx7 for your planes and helis or if that is out of your price range buy the dx6i .. i went the dx6i but only because im not into helis and price was a factor..

cya soon mate 8-)

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Hi All,
Great news! Yesterday I picked up a nice shiney brand spanking new Spektrum DX7. From what I can tell from various phone calls to various Hobby Shops is that it was one of the last ones in the country until the new shipments arrive (which they tell me will be back to the old price of $599). Wow, a nice looking radio but it's gonna take me a month just to read the manual and learn how to turn it on!

Still not got an Airplane yet but I'm saving to get a T28 i think.

Hopefully see you all down the field over the weekend.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

good purchase mate , a great piece of equipment for sure.

you have done yourself a favour, after all it is RC so its the most important part Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Great news Mick, You'll really enjoy it, Even if you don't find a plane this week, charge up your DX7 and bring it to the field, I'm sure there will be something to buddy you on Wink

By the way, T28's are in stock right now at Kellett's. Tell Michael you are from Parramatta and he may do you a deal Wink

No can do right now, spent all my $$$'s on the DX7 (missus was none too happy either!). I've gotta save some more for the T28 which may take a few weeks cause i get paid fortnightly Frown .

Is ok though, I can still hang around the field and watch the experts and get lots of hints on how not to destroy it when i get it (like only one T28 in the air at a time Shock !)

Besides, I'm still trying to get through the instruction manual on the DX7. That alone is gonna take me a few weeks to figure out :?

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

hehe i can give a few tips on what NOT to do with your new trojan :roll:

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i