Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Seb Art Sukhoi 50E

This isn't really a new thread but seeing that my oldest and most favorite plane died about 6 weeks ago..... It had to be replaced.... enter Sukhoi V2.
Apart from the different colour, which I think will look spectacular in air, the new V2 is a bit lighter, the tailplane and rudder are now airfoil shaped, (On the original version they were flat), apart from that there doesn't appear to be much difference at all.
I have swaped everything from the old plane to the new one so you expect the C of G to be pretty spot on with the same battery placement.... ... wrong..... I had to move the battery back 30mm, that is quite surprising.
Anyway .... she is already packed in the car, I will be stopping by the field tomorrow afternoon about 3.30 for a few balancing flights.... here are a few pics of my new bestest buddy.
PS: If you ever get a chance to fly/ own one of these things.... don't pass it up they seriously are the best......... period!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

That looks Very nice Gazz, Using Existing Power Setup ?

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yes mate, everything is exactly the same... no reason to fiddle with perfection!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(19-09-2012, 07:24 PM)gbanger Wrote:  no reason to fiddle with perfection!

*cough* Rolleyes

That is seriously nice. Gonna give it a squirt come saturday? Might have to bring the video camera, there are too many cool things brewing around here.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

G'day Gazz

Another gazzmatazzed built to within in inch of its life machine coming out of the workshop. Suspect nothing but grins from you now mate.

I am wondering what you have done to address the cf wing tube seeing as its failure has hit you before?

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

Hey Rob
The short answer is .... nothing..... or to be correct "not a lot".
The last one lasted 4 years ..... and I didn't exactly take it easy on the airframe.
I suspect it was a micro failure in the carbon lay up ..... the failure actually rolled around the tube along the long axis.... so the "not a lot" was to put the new spar accross my knee and try and break it..... knee break test confirmed that I am still bloody strong but not strong enough to damage the wing spar, I have consequently been limping for the last 2 days....... nearly broke my fu**en knee.
Anyway... thats the short and tall of it.... at the end of the day "Its a Seb Art", I'm pretty sure it will be fine!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Its a beauty Gazz... and I'm sure will be just as good if not better than the first one with the airfoil stabs.

Looking forward to seeing it on Saturday. I'll bring my glider with on board cam for in the Air video chase.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

awesome looking plane there , that looks very big for a 50 size . i think your right about the sebarts .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Very nice Gazz, I hope to see it in the air this arvo if I can get away from work early enough.
Sebarts planes are very nicely built machines!!

(19-09-2012, 08:52 PM)robair Wrote:  G'day Gazz

I am wondering what you have done to address the cf wing tube seeing as its failure has hit you before?

Cheers
Rob B

All you can do, is check out the spar after each days flying. That's what I do. It saved that big Yak of mine two weeks back. Fortunatly I found the spar was cracked and replaced it before it failed compleetly. The old one is landfill by now. If you grab the spar by each end and twist it and put it next to your ear all the way along it, you can hear if it's got a crack in it, it will talk to you.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

A few cliches spring to mind
- if you're on a good thing, stick to it.
- if it aint broken, don't fix it.
Will be nice to see you flying your favourite again, I agree with your comments on colour, will be impressive in the air.
Just a thought, does CF suffer from stress fatigue with time, or was there an existing fault with the last tube waiting for an accident to happen.

Hey Jason
I remember some time back you found a supplier of telescopic carbon spars in Aus. Do you still have their contact details.

Wayne
CF dosen't not normally suffer from fatigue at all, its either fine or it's broken there is no middle ground with it,thats why they build race yacht masts and just about everything ultra high performance from the stuff it's super light and very very strong. The only problem it that when it does fail it fails with a shear rate faster than steel.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gday Gazz

Yep, when CF fails it does not stuff around, one technique I have come across to beef up cf tube is to epoxy dope soaked wood dowel tightly inside the tube, the CF will still eventually fail with enough load however the dowel can hold it all together to an extent.
Also, I made a wing alignment pin for Kierans club trainer a while back, that was cf tube with cf rod expoxied inside, that was seriously strong.

Oddly enough it is the poylmer matrix not the cf itself that fails, if you want more info I think the best modelling for cf fatigue is the Helius MCT model.

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

Pacific composites in Qld I think was the company Gazz

The last carbon spar I got was from Ebay and it is excellent quality

the trouble with the spar I got from the other guys was that I had to machine about 0.15 mm" off the OD so it would fit. It was a painfull and messy excersize. You might have better luck with the sizes you after tho' mine was just over 20mm and had to be about 19.90 Maximum.

Just as an aside,
The twist test is what archers do with their carbon arrow shafts. You can imagine the abuse arrows get fired into a target time after time and are often hit by other arrows as well.

The last thing you want is an arrow to fail when you loose it. When they break they have been known to go through the archers forearm. Ouch !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Maidened the new beastie this afternoon.

Surprise surprise... it was on rails although it felt a little tail heavy... great for 3D but a little to taily for my liking.

I replaced my prop, down from a 16 x 12 to a 16 x 10, that made a massive difference, it is obviously not as quick but who gives a shit... the old one used to cavitate like a bastard when trying to hold a harrier with throttle up the new one just pulls straight out of it vertical so now I can even do elevators.... SICK!!!

Threw another battery in and went up again with the battery moved forward 20mm.

Much better but the difference between the two aircraft is considerable. The new one is a lot more twitchy, but still very predictable, just a lot faster to respond to input.... it will take a little getting used to.. I don't know if its the airfoil shaped tailplane and vertical stab, but it is considerabley more sensative to stick input.....which is great for aero and 3D but you really have to watch your input...... I actually dialed my Expo up another 10% on all the control surfaces to settle it down a bit..... harriers are much easier than with the old one ... and it even does waterfalls ... the old one struggled to pull tight ones.............I love it.

Just gotta remember to take it easy......

Gazz

Weather permitting I will drop by the field tomorrow around 3pm to flatten a few more batteries.

Yeeeeee Haaaaaaaaa !!!!

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Well done Gazz.
Sounds like its a better designed plane. Nice pics and I really love the colours.
I hope to see you this weekend.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano