Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UMX Carbon Cub - opinions

Hi all,

I have been looking at a UMX Carbon Cub as something I can fly during my work lunch breaks (Its under 100 grams flying weight, and is thus exempt from CASA reg's). Theres a pair of sport fields at work where I have flown before and plan to do so again.

Has anyone had any flying experience with one? I am hoping to use it to build up my hours much more rapidly then the occasional (and rare after this weekend until December) weekend flight opportunities I get. I am hoping that the gyros will allow me to fly in a wider range of conditions then an ordinary UM.

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

Yeah... I got one fly in soon after I got it, but my then inexperience led me to a low altitude tip stall and a broken prop adapter.

Fast forward to 3 - 4 weeks ago at the field... Followed the instructions - powered and righted the model out of the wind on a level surface so the gyro could set to level, put it up and it went crazy left bank... even under full stick to the right, it was a 15 to 20 second fight but it wanted to take a dirt nap what ever.

I like the plane, I like the concept, but until I can find a way to bypass the AS3X system, I am not in a hurry to fix it. I think that I will stick with models that have a little dihedral as their only flying aid from now on. I seem to do quite fine with those.

My opinion... get the little UMX F-U4 Corsair, Polecat or Sbach instead. Just a s light, if not lighter and you don't have to fight electronics to make them fly.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Can I ask how long you have had that plane? The reason I ask is apparently the first versions had a lot of "fun" with servos wanting to fail, and some control surfaces apparently not having much throw range. They are apparently fixing them up and making them available again soon.

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

Mine was in the first batch to hit Australia.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.