Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Parkzone T28 Trojan - The Ledgend!!!

Hey Steve
Cant help you with throw rates. Probably because I use a DX6i. But my expo rates are
Aileron 40 %
Elevator 40 %
Rudder 60 %
I personally prefer to make that dead spot at centre stick a little larger.
The extra expo on the rudder is because I fly with my thumbs and its easy to accidentally put in a little rudder when you dont really want it when using large amounts of elevator. (Mode 1).
It does however take away that sensitivity during zero throttle glide in landings.
But hey............ I can deal with that.
I know there are a few different schools of thought with expo.
But at the end of the day I think that whatever you are comfortable with is what you should use.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I have all my servo throws in the radio at 100% and all my linkages are set up for maximum throw.

Expo is about 60% on Ail & Ele but I always use linear rudders (0%)

Be careful when setting servo throws over 100% on radio, some mixes and trim later will push the servo to its limits and possibly bind or strip it, not always good Wink

I need to dig up this thread with a question.

Does anyone notice significant yaw-pitch coupling on their Trojans? It might just be something which is present only in our model since it's been through a bit over the years but now that I've been flying it a bit more lately I've noticed that when I nudge the rudder, it yaws alright but the nose drops quite a lot also. Being mode 2 I can be sure that I'm not accidentally touching the elevator stick, it's all coming from rudder only and it's not subtle either. I can live with it (because in every other respect the plane is perfect to fly) but when I'm on late finals and need to account for a bit of drift to line up on the runway, I've got to be ready for the nose to drop. Does anyone else see this?

Steve Murray

(01-07-2011, 12:49 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  I need to dig up this thread with a question.

Does anyone notice significant yaw-pitch coupling on their Trojans? Does anyone else see this?

Hey Steve,
I have not noticed this with my Trojan however I hardly ever fly it straight & true.
I have on the odd occassion tried flying circuits with the throttle set using rudder and elevator only (mode 1 transmitter). It seemed to hold altitude without any problems, but I will pay closer attention next time.

Chris M Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

There is significant coupling on The Trojan, I'll have to show you what it takes to keep a "clean" knife edge!

How much anhedral has your tailplane developed? After a while it starts drooping which exagerates the behavior a bit I think.

Thanks Chris and Kieran - interesting! I'll have a look at the tailplane K and see where it's at.
Cheers,
Steve

Update: The tailplane is reasonably flat. I actually stripped off the plastic film (which was peeling away anyway) when I was giving the plane a work-over some time last year. I slipped a c/f rod into a slot I cut on the underside and then filled and sanded the tailplane before painting. So, it remains planar and I must point the finger of suspicion elsewhere.

One interesting aside - I hopped on to Phoenix last night and discovered that the stock T-28D model also does it!

Steve Murray

Free to a good home:

1x T28 Trojan Fuselage carcass*

Suit those wanting a new firewall or steering mechanism, all other hardware was stolen by the crash gremlins

*Includes some crash damage

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-12-2011, 06:56 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Free to a good home:

1x T28 Trojan Fuselage carcass*

Suit those wanting a new firewall or steering mechanism, all other hardware was stolen by the crash gremlins

*Includes some crash damage

I'll Grab it if no one else has. I need to replace my steering/firewall. It's currently being held together with ply and balsa..
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

It's yours Thumbup

(04-12-2011, 03:33 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  It's yours Thumbup

Thanks, not sure when I'll be back at the field to pick up. Working lots of weekends lately. Not that I'm missing a lot with this 'orrible weather.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Heh to all with stock Parkzone Trojans,

I have stock motor and instead of upgrading motor, i have tried just upgrading prop size as i been playing with a few props and sticking with stock 3s 2200ma.

parkzone prop is stock 9.5x7.5 ,

Fitted 10x10 prop only extra 3 amps, 11x8 was crazy thrust added extra 5 amps though i think a little big for trojan size frame.

Kev did you run your stock on 4s long time ago ?

Going to fit apc 10x10 as i think this is just nice a little extra pace and thrust levels will be the same.

Steve

EDIT THAT - found a apc 11x10 prop total 28 amps Sweet
Just Did a Quick Test Flight and Flies Sweet, a little extra thrust and speed, just right wasn't crazy fast or too much thrust i just was after a little bit more and a 11x10 prop on stock everything is perfect

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

That's interesting Steve.
I think the stock ESC is only rated at 30A, so you're edging close to the limit there. I guess you flew at your local footy field? .... All good, looking forward to seeing it move (when this weather finally breaks!).

Steve Murray

(08-12-2011, 07:36 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  That's interesting Steve.
I think the stock ESC is only rated at 30A, so you're edging close to the limit there. I guess you flew at your local footy field? .... All good, looking forward to seeing it move (when this weather finally breaks!).

Yes i did at my local field, I thought of replacing esc to a hobbyking 40 amp with the same weight, but then i remember what keiran said the other day about the eflite escs are pretty good and the hobbyking one i have is the same as the one victor cooked a few weeks ago so that has put me off a bit.
I did a Static test with a fully charged lipo it max out at 30 amps and then subsided around 26-27 amps on full throttle.
After my test flight i found it fine only slightly warm so i think i just keep an eye on it and keep a 40 amp esc handy in my flight bag if i needed.

That little extra performance makes a huge difference, it flies so much better now it even feels like it glides nicer when you cut the throttle which i thought was strange with a bigger prop but when i thought about it, The parkzone prop is quite beefy from start to finish where as the apc is beefy in the middle and thins out at the ends. So theres less drag i guess and the amp pull is not a huge difference as i remember my stock prop pulled static 27 amps full throttle fully charge lipo and then down to 23 amps.

I gave the apc a light spray of flat black to match in with the T28 look, as you do.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Guys
Just stumbled accross this on E Bay while looking at E flite stuff.
If anyone is thinking about retrofitting their T28 with an Eflite Power 15 this motor mount is definatley the goods.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Parkzone-T-28...ccessories&hash=item3cc0604c46
Its not that cheap, but you will never break the sucker!!!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Performance Update:
For those of you that saw it, you know what sort of performance I was getting out of the HK G15 in my Trojan...... well..... that all came to a smokey end this afternoon when the motor fried.
It made a nice little smoke trail in the sky ..... conclusion ........ HK G15 cannot cut it, even though the current draw was well within spec......

So.................. What do you do when you fry the motor in the fastest Trojan in the Universe ????

You order an even bigger motor and prepare for Warp drive...... Prepare yourself for the HK G25 Trojan..............

YEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Yes, a G25 - that will be interesting to see!

Steve Murray

Gazz your doing my Trick, Making smoke appear from out of nowhere. Wink

I actually reckon this is the one for the Trojan T28 Replacement.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220785

I think with Stock Motor being 960kv 3s a 9.5x7.5 prop flys at 25 amps

My setup is stock motor with a 11x10 prop and it draws 28 amps and it flys a little better than stock .

So if i was to upgrade i would up only slightly the kv to 1000kv and still in keeping with 11x10 prop and using the 3542 Aeolian Motor and it will draw i reckon about 35-38 amps on 3s

I'm seriously thinking about it getting one to give my t28 a little boost not a nitro boost and see how it goes

But Saying That 10x10 on 4s it would move quick in the sky and amps amps would shoot up to about 45 amps

Steve Smile

(15-04-2012, 10:43 PM)samste Wrote:  Gazz your doing my Trick, Making smoke appear from out of nowhere. Wink

I actually reckon this is the one for the Trojan T28 Replacement.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220785

I think with Stock Motor being 960kv 3s a 9.5x7.5 prop flys at 25 amps

Steve Smile

Once the smoke gets out they don't do too well any more.

You could allways use this one, same weight similar KV and another 105W (19%) more power for less than $4 more
Smile

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220786

You'd have to check and see if the mounts will still fit as it'a a little bigger diameter.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yeh, yet another one of the great things about the PZ T-28 is its versatility - the range of different power-trains and batteries that it appears to be able to accommodate is amazing!

Steve Murray

Yeh Steve, the PZ Trojan is a lot like my stomach, it always seems to cope with abuse, it doesn't matter what type of beer or how much I stuff into it, it always seems to say " is that the best you got ... champ".
Funny that eh!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(16-04-2012, 11:14 AM)secant0give Wrote:  Once the smoke gets out they don't do too well any more.

You could allways use this one, same weight similar KV and another 105W (19%) more power for less than $4 more
Smile

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220786

You'd have to check and see if the mounts will still fit as it'a a little bigger diameter.

Heh Thats Not a Bad little Motor There Jason, i Didn't See that one when i was looking and the Extra 20kv would make a nice little difference

Aeolian Motors are not Bad Value and good Quality, Its Probably Though some Generic Motor with Aeolian labeling, but there good for price and value.

Steve

Post Mortum on the HK G15 950Kv motor:
Striped the motor this afternoon to see if I could find the cause for the failure.
Although the motor was only drawing 42 amps at full throttle and I spent almost no time at that setting at all. I found that 6 of the outer race magnets had epoxy failure and had slid back about 2 mm and were rubbing on the rear casing. Not very impressed as the thing had only done 8 or 10 flights, most of those were about 60% throttle or less with the odd burst at full throttle for 5 to 8 seconds.
I checked the motor temperature after every flight and I was able to keep my fingers in contact with it without burning. I recon it was coming down at no more than 50 degrees C tops.
Conclusion: You get what you pay for, must have been a Friday afternoon built motor!!!!!

Hopefully the G25 (that is on the way as a replacement) will not have similar issues as it is a much heavier build and is designed to run a much larger prop. Slightly lower Kv at 850 but will hopfully cope with the load.
Time will tell.................

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(16-04-2012, 06:09 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Post Mortum on the HK G15 950Kv motor:
Striped the motor this afternoon to see if I could find the cause for the failure.
Although the motor was only drawing 42 amps at full throttle and I spent almost no time at that setting at all. I found that 6 of the outer race magnets had epoxy failure and had slid back about 2 mm and were rubbing on the rear casing. Not very impressed as the thing had only done 8 or 10 flights, most of those were about 60% throttle or less with the odd burst at full throttle for 5 to 8 seconds.
I checked the motor temperature after every flight and I was able to keep my fingers in contact with it without burning. I recon it was coming down at no more than 50 degrees C tops.
Conclusion: You get what you pay for, must have been a Friday afternoon built motor!!!!!

Hopefully the G25 (that is on the way as a replacement) will not have similar issues as it is a much heavier build and is designed to run a much larger prop. Slightly lower Kv at 850 but will hopfully cope with the load.
Time will tell.................

850kv Equals 10x10 apc prop running 4s lipo at about 40 amps.

Similar setup to what i had on my 1.2 hking p51 marie i had, and it flew great.

Steve

Thanks for doing the math Steve,
I figured that, and plan on running the 10 x 8, it will be working well within itself so it will churn out a shit load of torque without any effort.
"Meesalikadis"

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(16-04-2012, 01:14 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Yeh, yet another one of the great things about the PZ T-28 is its versatility - the range of different power-trains and batteries that it appears to be able to accommodate is amazing!

My money says we'll see a Change Sun 12-blade EDF unit on a Trojan before this thread is done. Shock

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(16-04-2012, 10:15 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(16-04-2012, 01:14 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Yeh, yet another one of the great things about the PZ T-28 is its versatility - the range of different power-trains and batteries that it appears to be able to accommodate is amazing!

My money says we'll see a Change Sun 12-blade EDF unit on a Trojan before this thread is done. Shock

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Leet

Well I did it, I've sucome to the alure of the PZ T28,

I just picked up mine from Hobbies in the hills. It's grey one, the D
Just happend that I needed to make a trip out castle hill to pick up some parts this morning so I dropped in on the way there.

I might put it together this afternoon after every one leaves I've got to baby sit the helium plant this evening 'till late so if things go smoothly I may have a look at putting it together.

I can see it will need bigger wheels for a start.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

You won't regret it mate!

Steve Murray

The stock wheels are fine for average grass length. When I first got mine, I ran 60mm wheels but the extra aerodynamic drag wasn't worth it. I went back to stock and never had issues with grass really.

You will want to get a higher contrast paint scheme on her though.

Yes you will love the the Trojan, I have kept mine Stock as, Except for the The Prop.

Was Running a 11x8 prop but have now replaced it with a 3 blade 11x7 which it draws now 22 amps on 3 blades.

Steve