Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(24-04-2012, 07:38 PM)samste Wrote:  Yes you will love the the Trojan, I have kept mine Stock as, Except for the The Prop.

Was Running a 11x8 prop but have now replaced it with a 3 blade 11x7 which it draws now 22 amps on 3 blades.

Steve

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

That's what I was planning to do pretty much
I want to change the colour scheme as kieren suggested
What is the best paint for this kind of foam?

What was the best 2 blade prop for the stock set up?
Did you ever try a 12 x6 Steve ?

My modum seems to have died so I'm down to the iPhone Frown

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Z-Foam doesn't seem to react to anything, I usually just grab a can of White Knight from bunnings and go to work.

(25-04-2012, 02:38 PM)secant0give Wrote:  That's what I was planning to do pretty much

Jason i have flown the Stock Setup with 11 x 8 and with 11 x 10 and this is the current configuration 11 x 10 i have been using for ages and its been good, i'm looking forward to seeing how it will go with 3 blade 11x7 goes otherwise i will go back to the 11 x 10 prop.

I'm Not Sure how you will go with 12 x6 as it will be very low to ground possibly hit the grass ? even a 11 inch prop may be too big.

Remember mines a tail Dragger with retracts and a bigger prop is fine.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(25-04-2012, 03:43 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Z-Foam doesn't seem to react to anything, I usually just grab a can of White Knight from bunnings and go to work.

Thanks for that Kieran, went to bunnings and some rattle cans of fast dry enamil. Masked up and sprayed about 1/2 the under side of the wings and stab yellow. Wow it too a few coats for the colour to cover that grey zfoam!! I ended up with 4 coats on it. I guess its not easy for yellow to go over a darker colour, it's certainly a big improvement now and it will still look pretty scale sitting on the ground.

(25-04-2012, 04:40 PM)samste Wrote:  
(25-04-2012, 02:38 PM)secant0give Wrote:  That's what I was planning to do pretty much

Jason i have flown the Stock Setup with 11 x 8 and with 11 x 10 and this is the current configuration 11 x 10 i have been using for ages and its been good, i'm looking forward to seeing how it will go with 3 blade 11x7 goes otherwise i will go back to the 11 x 10 prop.

I'm Not Sure how you will go with 12 x6 as it will be very low to ground possibly hit the grass ? even a 11 inch prop may be too big.

Remember mines a tail Dragger with retracts and a bigger prop is fine.

Steve

Thanks Steve,........ Arrrgh yes.......... there would be a lot more clearence with it being a tail drager. I have put taller skinny wheels on mine I will have a little more ground clearence I can allways poke the nose wheel out a bit further if I grind another flat on the strut for locking screw.

I put some filiment tape over the hinges, they looked like they might let go after a while and the tape over the servo leads on the underside of the wing was not stuck down all that well so I replaced that while I was at it. I'm still looking at some added way to secure the hatch. Other than that, It's all bound, set up and ready to go for the weekend.

Cool

I changed my Magnet Setup on Hatch and Replaced the metal Plate that the magnet connected too to another magnet, so it really locks down now with two magnets connecting to each other.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

My beastie is now running a new Turnigy G25 570kv motor on a custom made carbon fibre engine mount with a 10 x 7 prop, running a 60 amp Plush ESC.
I'm running it on 4S with a 3300 Nano pack, everything comes down after 6 minutes stone cold.
It climbs vertical at half throttle.
It flies like a little PC9 with attitude, very impressed with this uber performance upgrade. BiggrinThumbupBiggrinThumbupBiggrinThumbup
She don't land very slowly anymore.... go figure??? Wink

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I managed to smoke mine this morning.
There are two of the Turnigy 3536 motors on the HK website with the gold-coloured casing, one is rated to handle 4S and the other is not - looks like I had one of the latter. After a couple of aborted takeoffs where I mysteriously lost power on the takeoff run, I got it into the air and it was going really well ... until on one steep climb, a stream of white smoke was seen leaving the machine - beautifully contrasted against a clear blue sky. A "Deadstick" call was next on the agenda. Since they glide so well, it was a non-event.
I removed the propeller and cowl and sure enough there was that unmistakable smell we note when too many Amps have done their dirty work.
I've got one of these ready to bolt in now ...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Motor.html

Steve Murray

That's a nice motor and should go well with a 10x10 or 11x10 depends on amp draw on 3s

I'm using the leader hobby motor

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?...4001220785

Running 3s and 11x10 prop

Steve Smile

Thanks for the extra info here Steve ... I'll have to look into that one.

Steve Murray

Has anyone though of or tried setting up the T-28 to use the ailerons as flaps (flaperons)? My thoughts were around making the approach slower for landing (yes I accept its slow already but it gives a chance to practice using flaperons).

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

Short answer:
Outboard Flaperons (both ailerons down) = Bad, Promotes tip stalling

Outboard Spoilerons (both ailerons up) = Good, promotes increased AoA to allow slower approach, less likely to tipstall as flow is attached to outboard ailerons at higher AoA (Inner Wing stalls first you then mush into a pancake stall. Too slow!).

I had them setup on my Trojan, nigh on useless for something that light really.

I've never tried either of them.
My recipe is simple - point Trojan towards runway, kill power, it lands itself.

Steve Murray

Ben, I think it is not a good idea to have the ailerons go down in order to improve the slow flying charistics of the T28

The ailerons on the T28 are located out towards the tips of the wings.

If you set the radio up to lower them you will increase the angle of attack at the tip of the wings.
It will have the effect of "wash in" which is not what you want, you'd much rather have wash out.

See here for an explanation of wash out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washout_%28aviation%29

The reason for not having an angle of attack higher at the tips than at the root is, that it will stall at the tip first and because one tip will allways stall before the other it will drop a wing. This is a bad thing when your low and slow !!!

Using flapperons only works well with full length ailerons, ie making the ailerons fall when the elevator rises or lowering them by a seperate switch to slow up.

If you make the ailerons on the T28 rise then you will have extra wash out on the wings. This will slow the model up. Ie it will act like a break but it will not make it fly at a lower air speed. ie it will not reduce it's stall speed. It will just add drag, however it will make it highly resistant to tip stalling.

By all means experiment with it either way. Set it up on a switch so you can turn it on and off in the air if you find you dont like it.

To try it out I'd take off normaly get up high and switch it on see what happins and if you don't like the way it flies then you can allways turn it off again.

Kizza beat me to it Wink

And............. there you go, he's actually done it with the Trojan !!

I have experimented with just about every possible aileron attitude change you could make to a PZ T28, just because I could because it's such a stable predictablel platform.
I agree with all of the above comments. The T28 is to light to display any improvements with aileron trim mods... so I would suggest you fly it as it is... it is better aircraft that way!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Now there have been retractable under carriage mods done on the PZ T28 if you want to make things a bit more complex.

(03-10-2012, 09:40 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Now there have been retractable under carriage mods done on the PZ T28 if you want to make things a bit more complex.

This would definatly make an improvement to the way it flies and the PZ T28 can easily take the small amount of extra weight.

So with All That Rain We Had, i decided to spend 3 hours on a Rebuild of My Good Old Faithful T28 Parkzone Trojan, Inspired By Bob's New T28 Purchase.

I Got This Beauty for Fathers Day about 3 Years Ago, Turned it into a Tail Dragger about a Year Ago.

But Now Its a Full Retract Unit With Lightweight Oleo Retracts.
About 120 Grams Approx Extra Weight which was the same amount that my old tail Dragger Retracts were.

A Little paint Touch Up and some Gloss and she be good for another few Years.
Yes Its a Parkzone main wing with Dynam Decal ?

http://youtu.be/VhEAZHQacBQ

Steve Smile

Nice work Champ - I tried that on my old one but ended up going right through the wing because the retract units were too deep for the wing thickness. I've got some air retracts now, which have a shallower unit and they're a nice all-metal construction ... but as friggin' usual, they're still in the box they came in Frown

Steve Murray

(04-07-2013, 08:22 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Nice work Champ - I tried that on my old one but ended up going right through the wing because the retract units were too deep for the wing thickness. I've got some air retracts now, which have a shallower unit and they're a nice all-metal construction ... but as friggin' usual, they're still in the box they came in Frown

I have that Durafly Retract wheel with metal Pin If You want it, that is if you still have the durafly ?

Flite Test Did a T28 Parkzone Mod with Eflite Retracts

http://youtu.be/3SyWeL2t7qQ

My Durafly T-28 is history now - thanks anyway!

Yes, I've seen the Flite Test article, but I'm too lousy to pay for the Eflites at the moment Smile

Steve Murray

Hi guys. What a wonderful conversion. When I get round to rebuilding my old T 28 . I might try it on that one.

Kind regards, Bob.