Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The slow-build Extra log

Starting a log of building my first SRL special - which is also my first plane I put together (I dont count a Trojan that required about 2 screws and plugging a few things in). However a cautionary note - Im likely to be very slow, both due to being new at it, and also having very limited time for all things flight between now and December (doing uni stuff).

I started last night by getting some of the pieces uncut from the main sheets. First thing I learnt - depron is far dustier to work with then I expected, got lots of it everywhere.

Did a dry test of how things would fit together, and also got a feel for how much flex and strength the depron itself has. I am already thinking that rather then carbon fibre tow to strengthen the leading edges, I am going to use spar. It will add to weight, but I want a lot of stiffness.

So far my next step plans revolve around a HK order, which will include at the least:

* Some HXT500 servos
* Some carbon spar
* Some fibre tape for attaching the control surfaces
* CA
* An orangerx

I have not included motor/prop/ESC yet as I want a better idea about weight before I leap in and commit. Having said that, Im going to look at a setup thats all about thrust - the size of the control surfaces suggest some ability to throw the plane around, but I am still not convinced it has the wing strength to give it too much speed.

I am also playing with the idea of some cheap spraypaint and some paper cut masks to do a custom paint job.

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

Just be carefull with Depron and CA you'll need the foam safe CA and some paints will eat Depron

For servos HXT 500s will be OK but I used HXT 900s in mine they are a little stronger and wont break if you crash it. My extra has flown a few hundred hours (well over 1000 flights) and I've only just replaced an elevator servo. These Planes are easy to repair and you can keep them going a long long time. My one has gone through about 15 props and 2 ESCs. I still have 5 of the 7 rino 1300mah lipo packs I use with it. But they are getting pretty tired now. The starteds off giving a 7 min flight no ptobs now 5 mins is pushing the friendship. a couple of them time out tring to balance every now and then too.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

check my thread out on this . the pics might give you some tips .
and use hot melt glue , dont worry about how long the build takes . the more time spent , the better the finished plane .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Frank - you mean the thread "Depron for sale" yes?

E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)

(07-09-2012, 07:50 PM)BenR Wrote:  Frank - you mean the thread "Depron for sale" yes?

yep thats right . sorry it isnt my thread it's srl's

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Mine flew but the wings flexed too much, was not game to try anything extreme like 3d, just wanted to know it flew. I used http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._set_.html half the depth of my 6mm depron, but they are still quite flimsy. I'll have to attach some from fuslage (cockpit) to wingtip to make a truly rigid structure.
These are actually light enough, I reckon they could have been glued to the leading edge without drama..

Im thinking the same sort of thing, but the full 6mm stuff. That way it may also help resist damage a little in addition to reducing flex.

full 6mm for spar, 3mm for leadining edge, that's what I reckon. Steve L was using carbon tape on leading edge only, that was flimsy.

Update on build......

Put an order through last night for a bunch of bits and pieces from HobbyKing, which included HXT900s, some CA, some strip spar, some wing tape and fibre tape.

There were a few items though on backorder, so will be an even stronger case of not rushing.

For paint, what do people suggest?

Most water based acrylics will work ok on Depron.
I use my wifes old stock of folk art paints. Smile
You can also apply a clear spray to harden the paint after just be sure to
keep the can well back from the Depron so that the propellant won't
cause any damage. I usually hold it about 300mm/12 inches back.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190