Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HK FOCUS .

purchased one of these off AARON , for a very cheap $35 .
i have to say they are a piece of JUNK . however i'm not complaining , its the way they come from factory .
anyhow . a few mods were necessary which i recommend before flight ready , what i did was change the ailerons as the ones on the plane were warped . i glued 2 pinned hinges on the underside of each aileron , and ran hinhge tape along the middle of each new balsa aileron .
i also made a dowel keeper plate out of ply to keep the wing secured and glued it on . the foam fuselage just isnt enough to gaurantee the wings wont rip off .
with this plane you have to remove the wing everytime you want to change the battery , i'd rather keep the wing fitted , so i used a soldering iron to burn neat holes into the fuselage at the top , entering the canopy , and placed the receiver and battery in the canopy .
this serves 2 purposes , one it keeps the servos inside clear , and 2ndly the wing can stay on when you change the battery .
the wing servo control rods are rubbish , i upgraded them to thicker rods to stop flex , the long elevon and rudder thin guage control rods flex like hell . so i stuck a piece of balsa between them and zapped together , which fixed the flex .
the elevon hinge was too stiff , i disconnected the control rod and bent it 90 degrees multiple times and reconnected , then it was ok .
aaron was unfortunate that the esc was shot on the origional purchase , but ordered and through in a better one with the sale of the plane .
however this was a mongral to change as it was hardwired ( soldered to the motor , i didnt bother with plugs on the new one and simply soldered thatone in also as room is an issue with these planes .
its ready for a fly , just need to paint the wings for orientation purposes mand work out the CG .

AS YOU CAN SEE , most of these mods need to be done IN MY OPINION , if ordering one be prepared for these mods before hand .
pics and maiden flight report to come .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

WELL HERE IS A PIC AND A MAIDEN FLIGHT REPORT .

you will note that i have doubled up on the elevator depron , this i think is necessary as the stock depron is very flimsy , but the truth is i painted the elevator too with solvent acrylic and it just ate it away so i quickly cut to shape some depron and glued it over the top before it fell off . LOL .
Anyhow i had to add about 60 grams of weight to the nose to get the correct CG .
maiden flight had a few troubles as they always do , the main being ramping up throttle produced the moter to suddenly stop if done too quickly , so i spent some time ressting the ESC timing to high and we were then ok .
i took off on 60% aileron with 15% exp . and 45% elevator with 10% exp . this worked out perfect . full throws forget it . this is a sport model .
nice slippage cutting through the air on turns but drops a little in height , dosile when slow , and agile when fast , it is a stayer in the air and if you throttle off it will stall without warning , i found it hard to fly low as it is hard to keep at a constent altitude .
there are 2 ways to land , for me anyhow . that is a long approach with plenty of landing strip to find the stall point off the ground , or fly it in . the later being the harder as it is hard to fly it low . however 3 landings were safe , it can take a little heavy landing but the nose wheel is flimsy . i'm just re enforcing that now .
pleny of mods required before this little buaety can become a nice plane . but it's getting there . 1300mah 3s is good for atleast 6 minutes .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Oh, that is a pretty little thing. Love a nice prop plane that's out of the normal. Looking forward to seeing it at the field.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Well done Frank, looks like your on top of that little sucker.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

hated this model . i retired it and threw it out , as i thought it was a waste of ESC ,WHEELS , AND RECEIVER USE . It flew horrible and would not maintain any sort of flight charactoristic . the amount of modding i di to improvbe it still was not enough , it needed pretty much a complete redesign and rebuild before a maiden . which just simply isnt worth it .
best thing for this bird was the bin .
a nice PNF S'BACH HK MODEL might replace it i think .

I'd be reluctant to get an Sbach unless you get a bigish one, I'd reckon the wings are too tapered to fly nicely in the smaller sizes. My little yellow edge 540 is a bit like that. It's the kind of model that if you stall it and hold on elevator it will drop straight into a spin.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi jason the pnf sbach i was looking at is 1400 wingspan 42 size EPO model its $129 from the int warehouse , however postage is $125 . A bit off putting . An edf panther f9 is on the cards too as eell as the sbach , but i might look at somerhing else other than the sbach EPO

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Nice planes i like the extra 260 . However i have 2 balsa arf planes . I wont some expendable foam pnf models