Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Snakes alive

Those of you who are also PMAC members would have received an email from Mark Fenlon notifying that a red belly black snake has been sighted active at their Hart Field. I am not sure if Joe Blakes frequent our field but I echo Mark's comments that gum boots are advisable from hereon if looking for planes in long grass. A definite for visitors at Hart Field and maybe at McCoy as well.

I was thinking of snakes while fetching my Zero this morning.

Lucky you were wearing my kevlar plated gum boots then, aren't you Arron?

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(26-08-2012, 07:21 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Lucky you were wearing my kevlar plated gum boots then, aren't you Arron?
Biggrin

Yay, another thing for me to hit on the runway Frown

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

They don't bother me very much, Snakes just about allways flee when you get near them.
every one I've ever caught I've had to chase after.

If you Pin a redbelly Black snake it will rearly strike at the stick you pinning it with untill it's made every effort to escape. If you step on one it will likely do the same. It's not likely to wait there to be stepped on either.

Brown snakes are a bit different tho' while they are also not likely to hang around when they sence you comming, if you do step on one they are very likely to strike what ever is pinning them down if they can.

Spent a whole day once, catching Tiger snakes, with old man Gow, so he could take photo's for one of his Books. You havent lived untill you've had a tiger by the tail Smile He'd been bitten many many times over the years but it was the smokes that got him in the end Poor bloke.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I totally agree with you Jason, but I dont think you have fully covered the topic. I dont believe we should treat even the remotest chance of accidently cornering or standing on a snake in the scrub lightly, always minimise risk by covering the worst scenario that Murphey's Law can muster. The Redbelly was the first to be seen this season, but browns have aslo been sighted in the past. Further up Toonie Creek I have heard reports of browns hanging around. Yes, snake bites are not always fatal, but some people can die from a rarely fatal bee sting, I myself am not willing to take the risk.
So be aware, take care, enter the scrub without protection if you dare.

Wayne I couldn't agree more, Safety first, allways, you do not want to get bitten by a snake that's for sure. And you are right some people can be very susseptable and others not so much. Also it's not unheard of for people to have a very bad reaction to antivenom too, sometimes worse than the bite it self.

Still there's no reason to fear snakes but we do have every reason to treat them with respect. There's a lot of missinformation about them.

About death from snake bite, there are very few people who die from snake bite provided that the propper first aid is given and that they recieve medical assistance with in 12 hours. Most people that get bad bites are snake handelers and keepers.

Just because a person is bitten doesn't mean that they have become envenimated either. A snake can bite with out injecting venom or they can inject just a little or a quite lot.

Here's a link to the propper first aid for snake bite. Probably not a bad idea to read it!! It might be a good idear to check that there is a decent wide bandage or 3 in that first aid Kit as well. You really need a few of them for it to be most effective.

http://www.snake-away-services.websyte.c...ervices/1/

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Just be aware that in previous years some members have reported seeing a large brown
snake in the vicinity of our field box.
Always use caution when approaching the box and we should try to keep grass
under control around it.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

i say quickly retreive the plane that has just tried to find how hard the earth is , cause the snakes have probably had a hugr shock and gotten away , so retreive the plane while they are gone . but then again , nothing like gumboots and caution.

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Just remember that snakes are deaf, so making noise won't scare them off. Making vibration however, will be more effective. Also, their field of vision only extends about 1.5 to 2m max, so if you are close to one & it's moving....stop. If you are stationary it won't perceive you as a threat & will keep on going, it may even slide over your feet. It may get rained on though (golden shower running down your leg). Smile Paul's correct about the Eastern Brown near the flight box. According to Darren, "It's a biggy".

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I will add at this point, before one of my models takes a dirt nap at speed onto one, I like snakes. To look at, not play with (unless in controlled environments and the snake happens to be a big dopey python)...

Hmmm... Planes on a snake.

Adding gumboots to my shopping list.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

I'm a country boy and grew up in the bush.
Ive killed more snakes than most people have had hot dinners, they are very dangerous and deserve more than a considerable amount of respect.
All the caution in the world won't stop you from getting bitten if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, full stop. 9 times out of 10 you won't know its there until it bitten your sorry arse!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

My intention for this thread was not scare tactics, in reality I do not fear snakes nor believe in their eradication as they serve their purpose in life by eradicating vermon. I believe I have a healthy respect for their potential dangers and believe we can cohabitate with them at our field if we are careful. Awareness of their potential presence was the intention of this thread and the resultant discussions should prove it's value. Thanks to all who have contributed. As stated, safety is all important and awareness of any potential danger, no matter how remote is a must.

This thread raised much discussion last year and worth a read again by our newbies. A redbelly was spotted today when retrieving a plane from the reeds. Hopefully this notice wont do anything more than just raise awareness of the presence of snakes at our field including occasional browns. They are not restricted to the reeds, and have been seen in the scrub adjacent to our carpark.
No need to be fearful at our field, just be vigilant & aware of their possible presence when entering the reeds & scrub. Protective footware such as gumboots can do more than save wet shoes.

Thankyou Wayne for Reminding all members of the Dangers of Snakes that may be around.
Protective Gear and Caution Guys.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Now I know why I saw guys putting gumboots on yesterday at the field, before venturing in to retrieve their planes. I thought it was just to stop them getting their feet wet!!! Thanks for the warning.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

This is the one your most likely to see at McCoy Park Red bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

It's quite a timid creature and will normally flee long before you see it.
Red bellies will usually give you good warning that they are annoyed, they take a up a flattened stance and hiss loudly a lot before they strike and normally only do this if they are cornered or provoked.
If you see one give it time to get away they are not as fast moving as people think they are, you can easily out pace one by walking quickly.
It is very hard to provoke one of these into biting. But none the less they are rather venimous and if you did get a good bite from one it would seriously take the edge off your day. Probably take more than a fortnight to get over it, for a fit person who got the correct first aid and propper follow up medical treatement.

This fellow is a different story, The Eastern Brown Snake It's possible you might see one of these at McCoy park but it's not that likely.
This is an agressive creature and a very nervious one, mostly it will flee but if it feels threatened it will strike repeatedly and with little warning.
Give it a wide berth because it's highly venemous one of the deadliest snakes on the planet and tho' a person might survive a bite from one of these with the correct first aid and follow up medical treatement. The path to full recovery will be a long long one.

The warmer weather has arrived & makes our slithery friends more active. On my way up the slope to our field box this afternoon, I almost stepped on one of the Red Bellied varieties. Brownies also visit our field and not the ones who sell biscuits.
Please have a read though previous posts on this thread for more information courtesy of our resident bushie Jason.
There is no real need for alarm, just a need to be alert.