Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flights of the EasyStar

My EasyStar finally got bloodied last weekend. After two successful flight at the field on Saturday morning with Darren’s very capable hands in reserve I drove 220km into the bush to a secret and deserted (with the exception of about 20 kangaroos who were wisely keeping their distance) field. It was close to dusk and the winds were light so I decided to give it a go by myself. The first three launchers added some new farrows to the field but on the fourth I got into the air and had several minutes of joyful flying. Realizing I was probably low on battery I did a quick dummy landing run which seemed to go ok so around once more and then a perfect landing.
Feeling lightheaded and somewhat elated I quickly changed batteries and launched again. Throwing caution to the wind (pun intended) I went higher and further afield. Unfortunately it was at this point I suddenly realised the wind had picked up and I was having trouble keeping the EasyStar in the circuit. Then I made the mistake of doing two rather tight turns which due the great distance I was flying I did not pick up in time. I was able to recover but the EasyStar was now way over on the other side of the field and the light was fading. I managed to put the plane in level flight and pointed directly towards me. Feeling somewhat relieved I cut back power to let the EasyStar glide back to me, something it does very well on its own. It was at this point disaster struck as the Easy star executed a perfect right angle turn straight into the ground; I had run into a single power line that I could not see. Fortunately there was no permanent damage apart from some new wrinkles in the nose and a failed glue joint in the fuselage. It will be flying again next week end.

I'm sure there is moral in somewhere.

Kevin

Glad there was no permanent damage.
Sounds like you were having fun up till then.
Isn't it always the way just when you think everything's going ok
then suddenly drama.. Frown
I had my share last Saturday know how it feels.
Look forward to seeing it fly at the weekend.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Like we've always said, Watch out for them power lines, They wont think twice about travelling a few hundred km's to attack your plane!!

good to hear you will be back up again kev, all part of the learning process as i have also found out .. Wink

kizza42 Wrote:Like we've always said, Watch out for them power lines, They wont think twice about travelling a few hundred km's to attack your plane!!

lol kieren when i read your comment it played to the tune below.. Lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPsheELuDE[/youtube]

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i