Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Depron Profilers

I had a talk to Jason about these, and he said to ask Frank (wingtipper) about what engine he used for his Extra. Any suggestions?

(20-08-2012, 03:25 PM)BenR Wrote:  I had a talk to Jason about these, and he said to ask Frank (wingtipper) about what engine he used for his Extra. Any suggestions?

hi mate this is the one i have on mine . plenty enough .
but its 900 kv . i think its a perfect match to the plane .
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=14737

however this would be a rocket on the plane . but remember this one may eceed the stresses that the fuse can take and the more chance of folding the wings off in flight , or snapping the tail off . however the experience i have on my plane now , i would prefer a little more , like this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

however the setup i have i think is perfect and not an overkill of power .

the one steve SRL suggested was this one , which is lower power
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

BEWARE !!!!!!! the one i have is from the international warehouse , and comes with the accessory pack , the 2 other motors in the aussie warehouse may not come included with the acfcessory packs and the aussie warehouse doesnt sell them i think .
for this reason i recommend buying from the international warehouse , and make sure you order the accessory pack as a seperate sale to the mortor , unless it states that the accessory pack comes with it .
also you need a PROP SAVER , and APC 10X4.7 PROP . do not go bigger with a 200w motor . and dont buy chinese props , they are great for land fill for the next 1000years .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

This thread is getting way off topic!
Gentlemen please try to keep discussion in line with the thread.
If you want to discuss something completely different then please open a new thread!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

C'morn Gazz,
It's not that far off topic I think they are discussing the motor options for the depron extra 330s that SRL mentions are for sale for $30 in the opening post of this thread.

This is how they fly, if you havn't seen one in the air, here's a quick flick of my one flying a while back at work.

You've gotta get one Gazz !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qdoxWRUs5E

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(30-03-2012, 06:32 PM)srl Wrote:  I have bought in bulk 6mm and 3mm for my indoor kits, so I'm happy to sell in small quantity's
I'm keeping the price simple, 1000mm x 350mm, $10. 3 or 6 mm.
Also 1000x700mm $20.
Its pickup at Mccoy late Saturday mornings.

If any one is interested in a good build I can cut out the Extra 330 for $30. its on 2 sheets of 6mm.

My version of the milled Index3 is $50 for depron only and $70 with the carbon bits. Its for pilots who want a precise flying indoor model. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1591771

For building tips and a look at the Extra 330 have a look here:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=143683

Happy building.
srl

In my Extra I first used a Turnigy C2830-1050kv but something was badly wrong. It must of been play in the bearings, but I thought it was a good match as it swung a large prop.
srl

I chose the 2830-1000. 200Watts. Can only be mounted from the front so had to modify motor mount. Maby not the best choice.

(20-08-2012, 10:02 PM)secant0give Wrote:  C'morn Gazz....

Your forum overlord thinks otherwise! Icon_twisted

(20-08-2012, 11:33 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  
(20-08-2012, 10:02 PM)secant0give Wrote:  C'morn Gazz....

Your forum overlord thinks otherwise! Icon_twisted

Well Kizza, You are the BOSS !! Smile

Seriously, these are Super Fun machines And I reckon they make excellent practice planes, I certainly have learned lot from flying my one !!
Speaking of flying it's nice and still out side this morning ...........I'm off...................still learning Smile

0give out

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Well my poor old depron extra is up for replacement shortly
I've been putting this new one together for a while in between working on 5 other ARFs.

Was it really 5? a spare bear, 3 vipers, a big Yak, a small yak and a shoestring. well lets just round it off to 5 then shall we Smile

Here's a pic of the new machine. It's one of SRLs very nicely cut out Extras. It went together fast and straight with just hot glue. It's much nicer than the first one I made. Gotta love how neat and straight his CNC cuts out the peices!!

I have a few flights with old one this morning and it still goes pretty well despite being 2/3 depron and 1/3 hot melt glue.

Some more pics of the new depron Extra build.

Being a 3D practice machine, I reckon it's gotta have contrasting colours top and botom. Otherwise when confusion sets in, it will be all to late to wonder which side was up, with the emphasis on was.

I ran out of carbon rod to use as the control linkage for the elevator and found that a strip of 1.5 mm X 5 mm wide ply works very nicely and is as stiff as a peice of carbon rod in the required direction. Not only that it's very easy to conect to the servo arm too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Some 1.5mm ply along the bottom to help with the abrasion suffered after many landings and stiffen up the fuse a little. Just held on with HMG

thats the way . do the top as well if you can and dont forget the struts

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

(09-01-2013, 09:21 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  thats the way . do the top as well if you can and dont forget the struts

It would be a good idea to do the top as well, I've put some on the sides 'cause that's where they allways seem to fail in tension when you do a cart wheel landing.

I'm trying to get a good comprimise between strength and weight. I know it's not going to be the lightest but I'm hoping not to make it too heavy either. It has to be reasonably tough because my one gets heaps of air time.

What did you mean by struts?

elevator and wing struts , i did mine with light balser , it reduces airframe twist at high speed , i've had mine spinning like a cork screw and seen where it would've snapped the tail off without them.
mine is a bit of an overkill though , but its lasted well and had some rough treatment . however it has still fatigued and cracked in many places . if youve done the sides with ply , i wuldnt bother with the top .

pics of mine with struts on post 38 of this thread .
http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=634&pid=14018#pid14018

Kev,
Here's a link to the original plan or pretty close to it. Should give a bit of an idea on how it goes together. Just think about the order you put things together in and it's no problem at all.

http://hbfpnl.files.wordpress.com/2010/0...ied_by.pdf

I never bother about the wheels and they soon get snapped off iof you land on grass. I just skid it on on the fuse.

(10-01-2013, 09:35 AM)wingtipper Wrote:  elevator and wing struts , i did mine with light balser , it reduces airframe twist at high speed , i've had mine spinning like a cork screw and seen where it would've snapped the tail off without them.
mine is a bit of an overkill though , but its lasted well and had some rough treatment . however it has still fatigued and cracked in many places . if youve done the sides with ply , i wuldnt bother with the top .

pics of mine with struts on post 38 of this thread .
http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=634&pid=14018#pid14018

Frank,
Thanks for the link with the Pics

Attached File(s)

Thumbnail(s)

here's the new foamy finished

Well it flies Smile Here's some video of it in the air yesterday morning
I really like these planes they fly slow enough to let you practice just about any manouver and they are forgiving enough to recover from mistakes provided you have enough height, not only that they are cheap to put together and very quick and easy to repair. What more can one ask for??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjwzGn9He4&feature=youtu.be

Hi Jason,

What motor and prop are on that plane? Took a quick look through the thread, but you are about the only one who hasnt said what they use.

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

(01-02-2013, 07:01 AM)secant0give Wrote:  Well it flies Smile Here's some video of it in the air yesterday morning
I really like these planes they fly slow enough to let you practice just about any manouver and they are forgiving enough to recover from mistakes provided you have enough height, not only that they are cheap to put together and very quick and easy to repair. What more can one ask for??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjwzGn9He4&feature=youtu.be

That looks and flies so good... I think I could add one of these to may collection so I can practice 3D. I have plenty of motors and bits just need the airframe..... will talk to you later at the field.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano
Music 

Jas,

I like the way that plane flies. I also like the way you adapted the music to it.................Frederic Francois Chopin would have been mighty pleased!!!!
BiggrinBiggrin

Smile

hey mate you fly that really well . , so much so that i must go and charge my batteries up and fly mine today . mine flies a lot faster than yours , i like your setup better , however the hotmelt glue in repairs has added weight over time .
what setup are you running with yours ?

Hey Frank, thanks for the compliment, This is a brand new plane, there's only the holt melt needed to put it together, no repairs as yet. I'm sure they well arrise tho' Smile The old one is pretty heavy with HMG !! It's still in flying order BTW.

Thanks for the Kind words George !! Just see Stephen Lange and ask him for an airframe kit I thing they are pretty cheap not much more than the price of the depron and beautifully cut out as well.

Thanks Victor, I'm quite a fan of Chopin. When I retire I'm going to try and lean a few of his peices.

Ben, in mine I am using a turborix motor that I've had sitting there unused for ages. There are no numbers on it but I'm pretty sure it's this one

http://www.r2hobbies.com/turborix-rc-pla...motor.html

You could just as happily use one like this, It's very similar and probably better quality

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._315W.html

The ESC I'm using is a 40A Aolian from Leader hobbie but only because I had it surpluss, It didn't work as good in the rarebear as I'd hoped but for this it's great!! Any 30 A and up Brushless ESC should do Just fine

I'm still using my old, very well worn 1300 3S 25 C Rihno Packs from HK they work very well even after over 300 flights. I get 5mins of Areobatics and they are sitting around 3.8 V per cell, which is just nice Smile With fresh new packs you should get 6 mins.

The prop is this one, it's a GWS 12 X 6 with about 1/2" cut off the tips. I do this on a grinding wheel. and reshape the tips and then balance them. I've tried heaps of different props and this just works the best for me. I've gone through dozens of them. It doesn't matter if they are black or orange they are still the same prop.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._set_.html

I should mention that I set the ESC up with breaks this helps not to damage the prop when landing and I also use a prop saver. This helps a lot too.

One thing I will mention is that the Lipo pack on my one of these is held on by velcro straight on the side of the fusealage.

I used deans plugs and never had a problem, on a vary rare occasion after a particularly violent manouver the lipo pack might come off the velcro and hang by the deans plug in which case I'd just land sort it out and fly again no problem at all.

On this model I changed to XT60 plugs and they come apart really easy after about 50 flights, sure enough the velcro on on of my very well used lipo packs let go and guess what it just fell off the XT60 plug and plummeted to the ground, followed shortly there after by my model.

The Lipo pack was totally ruined as it fell from about 50 ft onto concrete but the plane survived with only minor damage and has allready been repaired. Needless to say I'm back to using deans plugs again.

If you use XT60s on this one make sure the lipo pack has a strap over it as well !! Smile I found out the hard way

Good to see some foam board planes flying again at Mccoy field.

Here is the RC groups info on the Matix Extra.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre...reat-plane

The A4 print plans are on page 17.

srl

How much foam board do these things take? Officeworks sells A4, A3, A2 and A1 size 5mm foam board. I'm thinking I might build one.

I used Officeworks foamboard before, but it's rather expensive. there are cheaper options out there.

old discussion with useful link inside : https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?th...lia.55078/

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.