Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HobbyKing SPAD XIII 700mm

Hi All,
I've just returned from sunny Hong Kong. While I tried to organise a trip to the HobbyKing offices while I was over there, it didn't quite work out. Doesn't matter, when i returned home I found a box waitng for me:

Yay!, it's my new Hobbyking Teksumo EPP Wing

and more importantly my new SPAD XIII:

What a wonderful welcome home present!

Opening the SPAD box reveals the wings, fairly well packed in bubblewrap and actually taped to the box so that they won't move:

A quick inspection reveals no obvious damage. Slicing the tape off the box allows me to remove the wings and reveal the rest of the plane

I'm very surprised here with the packing. There is a fairly thick piece of carboard that lines the bottom of the box. The individual pieces like the rear stabiliser and tail plane are taped to this this piece of cardboard to ensure that they don't move around.

A quick inspection reveails a little bag of hardware including a screwdriver, a spanner, 2 tubes of glue (2 part contact???) an allen key and a bunch of small screws

Other bags contain the struts, wheels/landing gear, machine gun and exhaust pipes and other things needed to finish the plane.

The biggest surprise is the main fuselarge of the plane is actually velcrode into the box with some fairly heavy duty impact absorbing foam around the nose section. The fuselarge is completly immobile and seems to be in good condition.

This is as far as I've gone, however I do look forward to putting this one together. I still have a few more days off before I go back to work so with luck it'll be ready by the weekend. I'll post more pics once I start to assemble.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Cool stuff, I like WW1 planes Smile

All good Mick - if I remember correctly, one KevB built one of these a few months back but didn't write up a maiden flight report, so you'll have to pick his brains directly to see if there are any gotchas to be aware of. Good luck with it!

Steve Murray

(15-08-2012, 11:42 PM)smuzz Wrote:  if I remember correctly, one KevB built one of these a few months back ..... so you'll have to pick his brains directly to see if there are any gotchas to be aware of.

Sorry Mick you won't be able to pick my brains, apart from not having enough brain cells left it was Steve Lange who put my model together, he did a great job. I think he said at the time it was a bit like putting together one of those toys he used to find in the breakfast cereal box. I'm currently in the process of replacing the Rx in mine to a much smaller unit and fitting the Rx binding pins with an extension lead so there is no need to remove the wings when you want to rebind the Rx.

I was surprised to find it was a very easy build. All the parts fit as they should and everything went together without problems. Here is a quick build log.

Start by unwrapping all the bubble wrap off the fuselarge and checking everything is all ok and no damage.

Glue the rear wing to the model with the A & B contact glue. Snug fit and seems to line up ok

Next glue the the vertical stabiliser into place. Again, a snug fit but it lines up wonderfully

Flip the model upside down and glue the struts to the underside of the rear wing

Flip the model over again and glue in the dummy exhaust pipes. Premade holes allow them to line up perfectly.

Now glue the dummy machine guns into the small recess designed for them

Flip the plane over again. The lower wing slips into place and is held in position by a large nylon bolt. The undercarridge is then screwed into place with 4 screws

Flip the plane over again and here the fiddley bit starts. The struts are screwed into little plastic holders on the wing. Lots of little screws close to the wing which makes them hard to put in but take it carefully and a little patience and it all comes good.

Now top wing slips into place and again, lots of little screws and very limited room to screw them and it's done. Just attach the prop, bind and she is ready for the maiden

Can't wait to give this one a fly, it's a great looking plane. Once I'm happy with the maiden, I plan on having a go at weathering the model a little, it looks way to clean. I alos want to try adding some thread to the main wings to simulate all the guy wires that the real one has. there is already pre made holes just for this purpose.

Will post a maiden report once I give this one a fly.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.