Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SuperandCheaper MX2

the MX 2 is coming along nicely . it will be 6s , and is 99% finished , i just need to scrutinize it and its ready for a maiden . and alovely plane for $179 delivered to my door .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

That MX2 will be such a nice plane. It looks like it's got less tapered wings than the Edge 540 and the Sbach. This should give it nicer slow speed handeling than both of those.

At that price I think it's an absolute Bargain. 179 including postage is pretty good I wonder if they will go lower to get a few out by the end of the month?? I might have to get my self one to put away as a spare. I spurised that we dont have more of these super and cheaper models in the club.

Do you have an idea of what the all up weight will be ??

Did you toughen the bottom of the fuse up a bit where the Undercarrage mounts on. Is the undercarage alloy or carbon??

Nice one Frank!! will it be ready for a test flight on the weekend. I'm not sure what the field will be like tho' Might need to do a trip to Blacktown, Vinyard or Penrith if the sun comes back for the weekend

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(14-06-2012, 08:21 AM)secant0give Wrote:  That MX2 will be such a nice plane. It looks like it's got less tapered wings than the Edge 540 and the Sbach. This should give it nicer slow speed handeling than both of those.

At that price I think it's an absolute Bargain. 179 including postage is pretty good I wonder if they will go lower to get a few out by the end of the month?? I might have to get my self one to put away as a spare. I spurised that we dont have more of these super and cheaper models in the club.

Do you have an idea of what the all up weight will be ??

Did you toughen the bottom of the fuse up a bit where the Undercarrage mounts on. Is the undercarage alloy or carbon??

Nice one Frank!! will it be ready for a test flight on the weekend. I'm not sure what the field will be like tho' Might need to do a trip to Blacktown, Vinyard or Penrith if the sun comes back for the weekend

having a rest today . ARF PLANES TAKE 30 HOURS to put together .
it is ready for a test flight now . i havent toughened the fuse up as yet , it isnt too bad though , i have taken the 2inch wheels off and replaced with 3 inch , and the wheel pants are staying in the box . the undercarriage is aluminium i havent checked dry weight as yet , but i will . I ENJOYED THE BUILD . i must say the quality is quite good and all the hardware , including servo extension arms , screws, and dual conversion electric/gas was all included complete ,
i guess i could do a little modifying to strengthen but really its pretty good . at 1/2 the price of a sebart KATANA , i would say its 98% as good quality wise , differences being cardboard tubing instead of fibre glass for carbon wing spar.
the 5055 700kv motor , IS EXACT in size and required no spacing for exact cowel placement , the katana required 15mm spacers under motor mount . battery placement towards the front , is pretty much bang on for MAIDEN CG . .
any suggestions on strengthening the under carraige . i have to work saturday arvo from 3pm , but will be up for a flight , its going to be a ripper . has the power to take off within 3feet . 2nd use motor , not the best but still allright . full throttle sucked 225 mah in less than 15 seconds at 1800 watts and 90 amps LOL .
IT HAS A 13X6 lightwood balanced PROP . and that is fine , if i'm game it might just be ok with 13x8 . but not necessary at all.

WEIGHT = 1.8kg dry , 2.3kg with battery.

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

(14-06-2012, 03:22 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  cardboard tubing instead of fibre glass for carbon wing spar.

Looks great I'm sure you will make it fly well.Thumbup
but did you say "cardboard tubing for wing spar. "?!!!Shock

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

(14-06-2012, 03:36 PM)Raptorfly Wrote:  
(14-06-2012, 03:22 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  cardboard tubing instead of fibre glass for carbon wing spar.

Looks great I'm sure you will make it fly well.Thumbup
but did you say "cardboard tubing for wing spar. "?!!!Shock

NO ! carbon tubing rod , but the tube inside the wings and fuselage which the rod fits into is cardboard , on the sebart katana the carbon fibre rod goes into fibre glass tubes inside the wings and fuselage . obviously the fibreglass is better in terms of longevity when removing and fitting wings .
other than that its pretty good .

i agree with jason , I'm surprised there isnt more super n cheaper planes out there , ( not even on youtube )

Very Similar size to my Katana. what servos did you use?
I flew the Katana with Gazz(the pilot) in it at Penrith last Saturday.     but had a twitching Digital servo in the rudder. had to cut the flight short and land. waiting on a replacement servo from HK. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=9441

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

they look like a nice servo george .
i'm using these ones , had to convert the servo cutouts to smaller , but they are light , precise , fast , and strong enough . i , hope it is for the push pull rudder setup up anyhow .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Hitec-HS-...ccessories&hash=item1e6956b6cd

what motor and battery , esc , and prop are you using , and how much does it weigh ?
is that a HK katana ? are you happy with it ?

Not many cos they don't fit in anyones cars

AAANDD
They used to be really really shit airframes.

(14-06-2012, 04:43 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  . what motor and battery , esc , and prop are you using , and how much does it weigh ?

HK Katana 50e (By CM pro) without the motor and electronics it's very light. I over powered it to the S@%T house as Gazz would say.
Motor: Turnigy G60 (Had to shorten the balsa mount by 3cm)
ESC: Cyclone 120A (Overkill will change to an 80 Max soon)
Batt: 6S 5000.
Servos: 5 X Turnigy/Blueburd 620DMG (60+g each)
Prop:15X8E
Changed Aluminium landing gear (did the splits on first landing) to CF ones 160mm from HK.
Total weight with Lipo: 3.2kg... (Suppose to be 2.3kg)

Flies with eas at 1/3 throttle, glides for ever on landing. Haven't pushed it yet because of the servo problem. but seems to be a fantastic airframe.    

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Nice pics George!
That servo looks like a good replacement for the rudder, probably got a lot more torque than you need but better to stong than to weak.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(14-06-2012, 04:43 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  they look like a nice servo george .
i'm using these ones , had to convert the servo cutouts to smaller , but they are light , precise , fast , and strong enough . i , hope it is for the push pull rudder setup up anyhow .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Hitec-HS-...ccessories&hash=item1e6956b6cd

what motor and battery , esc , and prop are you using , and how much does it weigh ?

You won't have any troubles with the HS 5085's using them for pull pull rudder on a 50 size model. Rule of thumb I use is roughly 1.5-2 times the weight of the model in torqur (Kg/cm) for 3D/sport flying areobatic flying. I use HS5085s in my Edge 540 for all surfaces including rudder and it uses a pull pull set up like the the MX. No problems doing Knife edge with that one and it doesn't hover too badly either. My Edge540 weighs 2.5Kg I'm a little envious of the 200g lighter airframe. That's nearly 10%

I think for flying 3D and for sports areobatics, but to a lesser extent, weight is the enemy. It makes a plane harder to fly. Every bit you can keep off is going to help!! More wieght means slower acceleration and more stress on the airframe when it changes direction sudenly.

I don't think the cardboard tubes/sleeves are any bother, they don't have to add any strength, all the strength comes from the carbon tube that fits snugly inside them. The cardboard sleeves are nice and light, mine have shown no signs of wear yet and that Edge540 is nearly 3 years old now. It's had a quite a few flights, lets face it the sleeves are realy only there to guide the carbon tube throught the fuse pannels and wing ribs. If you want to toughen things up you can allways paint the out side of the sleve with West systems laminating epoxy. On a similar note, I usually paint the area surounding where the landing gear mounts to the bottom of the fuse with west's epoxy and add a little glass or carbon fibre in stratigecly placed around that area. I mainly do this 'cause our field can sometimes be a little rough. Tho' of late it's been excellent!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

well i flew the final setup at Mckoy today . thanks for talking me through the flights Jason , i managed 2 take off and landings , but having someone talk you through it for me was definately the way to go at this stage .
the 5055 700kv was a ripper of a motor , but had a little bearing noise , and needed spool up time , and was happy to suck 100amps 2100watt with a 13x6 prop . ( only rated at 1550watts)
so i threw in a more efficient 5050 580 kv 2000w motor with a 15x6 prop , which pulls about 1550 watts at 80 odd amps , so it could pull a 15x8 , but the 15x6 was very good for the plane and certainly not short of power ( think 100km hr vertical spiral) .
As the plane hadnt flown with this set up before , Jason had the 1st flight , it didnt need any trim and flew straight both level and inverted , so the balance was spot on , large loops werevery symmetrical , i remember calling it a pattern plane by mistake in the air .
anyhow the plane felt great and made flying look easy , it's weight with the bigger motor and 3000mah 6s battery is at 2.4 KG , I ONLY FLEW IT ON 50% RATES WITH 40% EXPO , and found that quite sensitive , i'll leave the 3d flying on 100% for a little further down the track if the good lord allows time with this beast . it wasnt that easy to land and certainly challanged my thumbs , so i wont fly this without supervision me thinks for a while , no trouble flying it at all , but it's longevity being the main point . i'll have to increase the practice now . OHH YEAH THE 580KV MOTOR and 15X6 prop gives it that lovely scale prop sound .

note : my little foamy has a checkered pattern on the underside of the wings , the MX2 has a checkered pattern on the top side of the wings . these things need to be carefully planned and thought out .

It certainly is a sweet machine, I think it flies better than my Edge 540.
I'm sure it won't take you many flights to get confident with landing it.
It's Just a matter of getting the approach right. If it doesn't look good then always go around, relax and have another go. It's very hard to do a good landing after a bad approach.

Landing is all in placing the plane on the right approach if you nail the approach, then the landing will follow easy enough. Two things with our field are, the strip is quite short and there is no straight approach in either direction. But once you get used to it it's no problem even in a cross wind.

I think you've done a lovely job of putting it together and setting it up and it shows in the way it flys. It certainly does sound better with that motor, the other one seemed to have a fair bit of bearing noise.

You might want to increase the rudder travel a little, it will make it easier to taxi. You could add a bit of expo to make it softer around the center if you like, but it's a matter of taste.

Nice one!!

Really starting to hammer this thing in the air , its definitely my favourite plane , started to chnge the c of g , so its now slightly tail heavy , getting there and enjoying it greatly , doing plenty of 3d practice . i think ive managed now to get down to about 20 metres up . that might sound funny to some of you guys who fly 2 metres up . but its a challange .
had a misshap with it today , flying on 5s , which caught me out because the previous flight was 6s . anyhow MY DX8 , DECIDED TO RUN 3 DUAL RATE POSITIONS , IT PREVIOUSLY HAD 2 , BUT AFTER SETTING 3 POSITION DUAL RATES ON THE RARE BEAR . some how it added another rate to the mx . which happened to be 100% throw and zero exponential !!!! this gives the elevon about 85 degree travel , which acts like an airbrake brake and will cause a spin if in a dive rather than pull out of it , i had no idea what was going on , thanks to those long reeds , they caught it perfectly , no damage at all . and i was able to get another flight out of it , before i spent the batteries . so i guess we must always check our txs when we add new model setups , i had to reset up the rate percentages on the mx after this miss hap . lovin it .

Oooooooo that sound like a bit of a trap. Glad to hear it still lives to fly another day.
It pays to check everything doesn't it, That would have probably caught me out as well tho'. I have to admit you wouldn't expect it to do that would you ??

Great thread as I have just purchased the blue mx2 3d 1400mm. I wanted a plane which I could start building whilst learning to fly. I must say I already feel out of my deapth as I have read I need to replace servos etc but anyway

Never been a model builder but it looks like it will be a great plane

very nice . post pics and ask lots of questions if you wish

With the replacement servos will replacements just slot straight in without much trouble?

I will get some from hobbyking as well as a sbec

The Super and cheaper MX2 comes as an ARF airframe doesn't it? with out any servos in it as all?
the best servos to put in that airframe would be hitec 5085s or the new High voltage version of the 5085. the you won't need a BEC, as long as you have a High voltage receiver. Most 6S ESCs have a built in BEC so you don't need the HV servos and receiver for this one.

Back to the 5085s, they have it all ! they are light only 22g they are powerfull with 4Kg/cm torque and they are fast and they are precise in there positioning as well. They are a little pricey tho so it pays to shop around for them. HK unfortunately doesn't stock them Frown I think electric wing man does. you might have to make some plates out of 1.5 mm ply to fit them in as they are probably smaller than the servo holes in the model. It will be worth it tho' !!

Great thanks for the I info, the mx2 which I got is a plug and fly but have read that the servos that control the elevator and aileron should be replaced with metal ones they are 17gram.

I was thinking of adding the sbec as a backup just in case the esc fails so I can still have a control of the surfaces

Will look at the ideas which you mentioned

Cheers

(Whoops, turns out I accidentally wiped out a paragraph or three. Small keyboard... fat fingers... rickety train... Smile The gist of it was that an SBEC is used instead of the ESC's BEC, and not only if the BEC should fail. Hence, an SBEC doesn't add redundancy or "failover" capability.)

...be more reliable than the SBEC, using the latter will obviously decrease safety to some extent. The hard part is determining which is more reliable Smile

An SBEC can have other advantages. Once you go beyond the ubiquitous 48" wingspan 3D airframe, you're talking about some serious servo torque and speed - much, much greater than warbirds and gliders of similar size. All that servo grunt comes at the expense of power consumption. A BEC (whether integrated or not) which is adequate for a 55" warbird may be totally overwhelmed by the servo loads of hard 3D on a 55" airframe. Past a certain threshold, BEC voltage sags to the point where the receiver effectively goes offline - a "brownout". Voltage will usually recover within milliseconds, but the receiver will typically take precious whole seconds to reboot, initialise, and arm, by which time the plane may be digging divots or in the reeds Frown

Hence, the advantage of SBECs is that they can be (over)sized according to servo loads, which is especially important if using high voltage (HV) servos and their even higher power consumption. Their weight can also be placed in a versatile manner, to help achieve a particular CG.

All of that goodness is in doubt if the SBEC happens to be a dodgy low-end unit which isn't as reliable as the built-in BEC, whose dormant weight is meanwhile being uselessly carried in the ESC. The SBEC's extra wiring and complexity should be taken into account as well.

Another strategy is to forgo the SBEC and instead invest in an ESC with a high-powered BEC. Many of the ESCs which fit that description come from the heli world, because it takes prodigious servo power to move the swash plate around. Brands like the German YGE and Kontronik have an excellent and well-deserved reputation, but their price induces nosebleed (especially Kontronik!), and it may not make sense to use an ESC that costs more than the rest of the airframe put together. Hobbyking's YEP line are YGE knockoffs, right down to circa-2008 YGE firmware. Their components are somewhat inferior to YGE, but it's still a lot of ESC for the money, and arguably far better than anything else in the "budget" range. Most importantly, their 6A switching BECs will handle any load a 55" airframe can generate.

Another option is the Castle Creations Talon 90. It has a 9A continuous BEC, 20A burst, but it's probably overkill for this plane, unless you're planning on using a 4S or even 3S power system (not recommended), and hence high currents.

Lastly, HV servos can also be powered directly off a small 2S lipo. No electronics to fail, but you typically get 3 or 4 flights before the auxiliary lipo had to be charged, and forgetting to do so is not a good idea. There's also the weight to consider, and the inevitable reduction in servo performance as the lipo voltage drops off.

In the end, there's no one-size-fits-all answer. It depends on airframe and equipment specifics, and personal preference.

Manta, would you mind posting a link to the plug and fly MX2? If it's the one I'm thinking about I don't think you really need to change the servos just because they don't have metal gears or are only 17g. The weight of a servo means very little as far as it's performance goes. Obviously it's easier and cheaper to build a bigger heavier servo, stronger, than a smaller lighter servo, but extra weight is a bad thing on a 3D model too. It's the torque of the servo that your more interested in and probably of as much importance is how quickly it moves and how nicely it centeres.
I was thinking you were putting together an ARF when I wrote my earlier post you may well find that what the model has already mounted in it, is quite good enough. I'd be interested to see just which plane it is??

Yep of course

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...h=Mx2%203d

I have read that the servo is sloppy etc

(15-11-2013, 07:01 AM)Manta Wrote:  Yep of course

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...h=Mx2%203d

I have read that the servo is sloppy etc

I've flown two different ones of these. They fly fine with the servos that are in them. They are not a bad areobatic plane, reasonably fast and quite direct to fly. There's nothing self correcting about them where ever you point them they will go.
I didn't spend a lot of time flying either of them just a test flight with one and a grab and save was the other. I got the impression that they were a little heavy for serious 3D flying and that they were not as forgiving as some of the other models, but still quite nice to fly. You might ask Craig what he thaught of them I believe he had one.

Wargo certainly had no trouble flying a stock one which I believe was straight out of the box, here's the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pfVLdttZM

It looks like they might have already upgraded the kit ?? have a look at this review. The ones I flew were early ones and they went fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRMfoFH8WgA

If you want a really nice light plane for learning 3D areobatics then I'd have to recomend one of SRLs depron profilers. (the extra 330) I use one of these to practice all the time.
from srlfoamies.com They take a small amount of building to put one together as they come in a flat pack, but they are very econimical and fly superbly

here's a clip of my old one. I've worn a few out Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWqpa17GdI

Excellent so that will make like easier as this is my first real build and want to keep it as simple as I can. I need to go to bunnings to get some glue now to put it all together, any reccomendations?

I know 2 other people who are both very experienced pilots that owned this particular aircraft, they both said that they wouldnt say they were real 3D aircraft but were pretty good for what they are and unless you drill them into the ground big time they are a great 3D trainer and were incredibly crash friendly.
Gazz
PS: As far as I am aware they both flew them as is... straight out of the box.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

That's good enough for me, servos will
Remain in, can't wait to fly it