Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hobbyking Icon A5

You know they say "if you cant beat em join em", so with that in mind I looked back at the last 12 months and the non existant flying caused by wet weather.
So I though STUFF IT! and bought this.
Was hoping to get the maiden in this morning and drove in to work where I am planning flying the big sucker, you see, I have the largest expanse of Parramatta river 20 meters from my workshop., but it was windy and was chopping up the water to much for a maiden, so will try during the week.
I am very impressed with the quality of the construction. It has that super smooth almost waxy look on the foam. Buy the way, it is a HK (Large Amphibious aircraft) correct name is the Icon A5 and has a 1800mm wing span. It comes with a 6S 400kv motor and has massive wings so Im pretty excited about getting the big fat cute sucker aloft.
It comes amphibious with retracts but I ripped em out and bined em, so now mine is a seaplane.
I will be flying on 3000 6S 20C batts. Running a 12x6 prop through a Turnigy plush 80 amp speedie.
I purchased an extra 2 servos and installed the optional flaps, It certainly wont need them for landing but I think they will help break the water drag during take off.
Wont know till I fly it but I recon it would make a great FPV platform.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Just when I thought I had you figured for your flying style & future direction for purchases, you go and throw in a curve ball. Certainly looks an impressive plane Gaz and should serve you will in your lunch break and raise a few eyebrows from within passing water craft. Could even be useful at McCoy if we Willy wreaks his fury again. Or maybe now that you have this beauty, he may deliver fine weather to force other venues.

The only things that leave a bit to be desired are the legs sticking out from below the airframe!

Steve Murray

No mate, the vindictive pricks (the weather gods), will probably make if blow a friggin gale for the next 6 months so my liquid runway is as choppy as the north sea...... arseholes!!!!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Nice Gaz. Look forward to hearing how she flies - I had been contemplating this or the Parkzone A5 Icon every time I went past to check on McCoy after a belt of rain.

BTW, if you like that sort of thing, there's some great video of the full size craft on the manufacturer's site: http://www.iconaircraft.com/videos.html

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Yeh thanks Claudio, seen most of the vids.
HK make 2 of these, the small one is about 1100mm wing, mine is the big one at 1800mm
The one Parkzone does is in the middle at about 1400mm.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

You can also fly it for free in the new MS Flight game (Not a sim anymore Frown )
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Awesome !!

I think it would make a great FPV platform !!

I'm interested to heat how it goes !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Gaz I think Murphy is to blame, and he is in cahoots with the weather gods to enforce his law. He also has a pact with Sam (Satelite man), who sits in a Satelite & watches my car as it approaches traffic lights & turns them red at the most frustrating moment.

(24-03-2012, 09:23 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Yeh thanks Claudio, seen most of the vids.
HK make 2 of these, the small one is about 1100mm wing, mine is the big one at 1800mm
The one Parkzone does is in the middle at about 1400mm.

I have the guanli A5 icon. I call it the flying Brick. I think some of you seen me fly it. Horrible to fly. But this one Gaz looks much more like the real plane and has better wings. I want to see it fly.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano