Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Seagull Models Super Tucano

Very impressive Gaz. That is an airplane.

Willy is forecasting fairly high wind for Pemac on Sunday but your plane is probably big enough to handle it.

Looks great Gazz, I remember you describing the troublesome mods necessary to convert to electric, but with the results I see, I can understand why you persisted. Here's hoping it flies as good as it looks. Keep up the good work.

AWSOME Gazz, nice work with the conversion to electric power!!
It will defiantly have some presence in the air!!
At nearly 5 1/2 kg it will have a highish stall speed and want to land with some pace on

It looks great!! Hopefully the wind backs off a little on Sunday for the test flight don't forget to get some video of it in the air!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

It looks like another balls-out job Gazz Smile
What sort of readings are you getting from static tests? You'd be aiming for something in excess of 1100 Watts I guess.
Good luck with it mate!

Steve Murray

That looks fantastic Gary, look forward to seeing down the field sometime.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Steve
I am pulling 58 amps at 1240 watts spinning the 15 x 10.
Max current for the Hacker is 50 amps continous with burst at 70, so I am pretty happy that most of the time I will be well under 50 amps.
I have spent today finishing of the fiddly bits. The bad news is that I needed to add another 230 grams to balance it. So the final flight weight is now 5.7kgs.
So as Jason suggested landing approaches will be a lot of fun because airspeed will need to be kept quite high, funny thing is most of the videos I've seen show the aircraft landing at an average sort of pace, so it must have very efficient flaps. I will be paying particular attention to my high altitude stall tests on the maiden.
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Gary,
A great thing with bigger planes is they handle so well. While the airspeed is higher with a higher wing loading, the scale of size makes them seem to be landing normally. Once watched the big Russian Antinov flying at 300 feet and it just didn't seem possible that it could be flying - it was simply scale of size, airspeed was good. A Tiger Moth at the same speed would seem ridiculously fast.

thanks for the pics . very impressive attention to detail in the build there . looking at those pics you can tell its no toy , an aeronautical masterpiece . well built .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Last piece of work was adding weight to the nose to get it trimmed... 230 grams of weight.....
I dont know if any of you guys have thought of this before but because I needed to add so much weight I went down to Bob Jane TMarts and purchased a heap of mag wheel weights... they are self adhesive and are perfect because they are small and fit almost anywhere.
Final flight weight 5.7 kgs.... Ouch!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gazz - couldn't you move a few of the ones at the back up towards the front, putting them on the sides and subtracted a few from the total? Just a thought.

Steve Murray

Stuff adding weight, Clearly you need a BIGGER MOTOR!!!!!!

You dead right there Kieran, After todays trials I will see what modifications may be afoot.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(15-07-2012, 03:05 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  Stuff adding weight, Clearly you need a BIGGER MOTOR!!!!!!

230 grams is quite a lot more motor

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yes but the prop to ground clearance only allows a maximum prop of 16" diameter. So a big low kv motor would be counter productive.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

You'd have to go up in the series cell count if you go low KV but it's also a good way to add usefull weight. might need a HV ESC tho'

Yeh was thinking about putting my Hacker A60-22 out of my big Sukhoi in it. It is 217kv and currently spinning a 20 x 16 prop running on 10S. It could spin a 16 x 14 without even trying.
That would wake up the neighbours !!!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(15-07-2012, 03:20 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Yeh was thinking about putting my Hacker A60-22 out of my big Sukhoi in it. It is 217kv and currently spinning a 20 x 16 prop running on 10S. It could spin a 16 x 14 without even trying.
That would wake up the neighbours !!!

16x14 hah !!!! youll be hanging it off its prop 3d flying it . LOL

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Just add blades, it's supposed to have a 4-5 blade prop anyway

Good thinking 99.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

While we are still talking super tucano. Here are my Custome RC lander Servoless retracts all in.
Nothing is straight forward with this build Gary. I had to drimil and drill holes to fit these in. I felt like a dentist doing fine work inside the wings. After over 3 hours of work. they fit and work well.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hi Gary,
Here is how I'm installing my Lipo in the Super Tucano.
I wanted to be able to push the Lipo all the way to the front and aginst the firewall. The fule tank bulk head was in the way so I ripped it out. (Lucky I have small girly hands)
Using EPP foam packing off cuts it was easy, light and I can bend and squeez and curve them to fit and fill in the extra space.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

That looks great George, I would cut a hole in the foam you have against the forward bulkhead to allow some airflow through the aircraft to cool your ESC and battery otherwise things may tend to get a little on the warm side.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gazz
I will cut holes all over the foam bits to try and keep the Lipo cool. Also have the slit under the nose gear under the Lipo.
I was thinking of maybe drilling a couple of holes in the firwall on the edge to flow air in between the fuse and skin.

ESC will stay under the cowl in the airflow. The Bec and receiver are the only thing that will be under the hatch.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Some more progress on the Super Tucano. Should be ready soon maybe 26th August for Display/Maiden (if field condition and weather allows).

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Hey George that's lookin' good !!!

Yes George, Lookin good!
But do me a favour and paint that bloody spinner. Mine was red too. Now its black.
Although I am thinking about painting it chrome, to make it look "fully sick" bro.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Maiden flight report Take 2 (sort of)
With the new OS motor ready for action I headed out to PEMAC for some flight testing.
The difference in throttle response between the Hacker and the OS is huge.
Take off roll was reduced by 20% and once in the air I could throttle back to about 70% where the aircraft still flew with plenty of authority and snappy response to control input.
Pushing up to 100% saw the plane accelerate to a point wher level flight loops were easy with the plane holding airspeed right up over the top and full thorttle low level passes were very very quick indeed.
Any more power would really be a waste.
No more mods necessary or planned. It flies brilliantly.
I am one very happy camper!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Very Nice Gazz, Glad It Flew Nice

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

THAT PLANE LOOKS A TREAT . so the OS is best then ?

Congrats Gazz !!

Nice one !! Lookin' good !!