Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Charging at home

You have to laugh at that photo. My $100 Jaycar 20A supply has about 1/20th of the components and no where near the specifications. Explains why Jaycar supplies are found no-where near mission critical systems.

I might borrow someone else's power supply and see if they are internally short circuit protected. Biggrin

(25-06-2012, 07:54 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(25-06-2012, 02:40 PM)whitedg Wrote:  LOL, a bit of a frenzy as I took about 30 to the field and brought home 4.

Nice Smile

(25-06-2012, 02:40 PM)whitedg Wrote:  I left 4 supplies for those that weren't there, and I also have the other 4 supplies at home for those that weren't able to make it. Let me know if you missed out, or if any of them were dud, as I can always get some more Smile

Would love to put myself and Angus down for 2 of the remaining ones.

(25-06-2012, 02:40 PM)whitedg Wrote:  [Dennis - I've just made a quick edit to your post, hope you don't mind. The location of the extra four supplies has been altered. Thanks again for your generosity!]

Look out! smuzz has stolen kizza's super-powers!

I wasn't able to make it on the weekend due to work and my daughters 4th birthday so I missed out. I'd still like to grab on eif there are any left.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

(25-06-2012, 10:50 PM)Skidz Wrote:  You have to laugh at that photo. My $100 Jaycar 20A supply has about 1/20th of the components and no where near the specifications. Explains why Jaycar supplies are found no-where near mission critical systems.

I might borrow someone else's power supply and see if they are internally short circuit protected. Biggrin

Yeah, these supplies are fairly bullet proof. They are designed to run 24/7 in a hot server for years. By comparison, we are putting tiny loads on these PSU's. As for the short circuit test - I have tried that one out (by accident of course) and they just shut down. A quick remove of 240V and reconnect (in a DC you yank the cord, but we could just flick the switch on and off) and they are back up again. They are hot swappable in the server, so able to provide full load as soon as they are inserted (connecting the pins in our case).

The guys on RCGroups have been doing some mad modding of them to get them to run at higher holtages (up to 16v on these ones) as well as adding them in series to provide 24v. This requires internal mods or to remove the earth pin from one supply making them potentially dangerous - so I would not recommend anyone try this approach at home. One guy even has 4 x PSU's in a case for 2.4Kw of charging power - insane!!!!! (BTW, I sent him more supplies so he could replicate that - LOL).

Of the 4 I still have at home, I've marked them for the following:
secant0give - Jason Vanajek
Claudius - Claudio N x 2 (1 for Angus)
Kedumba - Mick Meskers

I don't know when I'll be able to make it out to the field again, but if someone wants to come and pick them up from my house in Rydalmere one night, let me know and we can arrange something. That is if the ones I left at the field have already found new homes of course Smile

I'll have a chat to the boys to see if I can grab another batch as they seem to be pretty popular. I might even be able to score some G5 server ones which are smaller, lighter and output 12v @ 65A. They have the blade connectors though, so would require some more work insulating.

Cheers
Dennis

Dennis, never throw a server supply on to the rubbish pile. Bring them out to PRCAC and let us "help" you recycle them Wink .

Dave I now have the connectors etc for my power supplies.
Maybe weather permitting we can meet up at the field over the weekend.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I'll be there both days - weather permitting also.

Hi Dave,
SteveB had to call into my place yesterday to pickup my
old DX6i and he kindly offered to take my PS's and do the mod for me.
As he was here anyway I thought it would save you the trouble and have him
take them.
Thanks for the offer to mod anyway.
cheers

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

No problem

I was tied up last week, did I miss out on a power supply? - John.