Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Charging at home

I've been in Melbourne for a few days and away from the forum. Too late to add yet another to the list?

(21-06-2012, 11:56 PM)Skidz Wrote:  I've been in Melbourne for a few days and away from the forum. Too late to add yet another to the list?

Not too late at all.

I have 24 PSU's at last count so plenty for everyone Smile

samste x 2
paulj
wingtipper
raptorfly
stillflyin
gbanger
secant0give
paulj x 2
BenR
Claudius x 2 (ConcreteTurtle)
JohnC
Kedumba
Skidz

I'm going to try and get to the field tomorrow at lunch time with the supplies (so long as the weather is good and people are flying). If I can't make it, I'll give paulj a call to arrange a drop off so he can distribute.

Cheers
Dennis

thanks kindly whitedg . if there is anything i can do in return please let me know . cheers .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Hi Dennis, can you put me down for one too.
Thanks mate

I wont be able to get there tomorrow due to sporting commitments. Let me know who takes on my unit and I will come get it. No problem. In advance, my sincere thanks Dennis. I can finally run 200W through the quad charger without burning out the misleadingly rated power supply I have.

Look like I'm up for a Sunday morning visit, as I now have something on tomorrow.

Cheers
Dennis

Hi Dennis.
What's your ETA Sunday?
I have a bit on but would like to pick mine up personally and say thanks.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Could I have one too please if there are any left? I'll probably be coming down to the field Sunday morning if the weather is good. Thanks also.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

G'day Dennis
If it is not too late for this round I would like to recycle a PSU.
Thank You
Peter H

Yep, should have plenty for everybody. I should be at the field on Sunday at 9ish.

Cheers
Dennis

IF I'M NOT THERE SOMEBODY PLEASE COLLECT MINE , and i'll grab it later , cheers .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Hi Dennis,

Thanks again for those power supplies. Fantastic!

Just a quick question. There is a contradiction in the last paragraph of the last page.

You mention connecting pins to give double current but say that is a "series" connection. Double current @ same voltage is "parallel" connection so my question is, if I follow the pin connections for double current, did you really mean "parallel" or will those pin connections give me "series" which is ~26VDC @47A?

I'd like to do the 94A parallel mod but want to check with you on the pin clarification.

Dave

(24-06-2012, 02:10 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Hi Dennis,

Thanks again for those power supplies. Fantastic!

Just a quick question. There is a contradiction in the last paragraph of the last page.

You mention connecting pins to give double current but say that is a "series" connection. Double current @ same voltage is "parallel" connection so my question is, if I follow the pin connections for double current, did you really mean "parallel" or will those pin connections give me "series" which is ~26VDC @47A?

I'd like to do the 94A parallel mod but want to check with you on the pin clarification.

Dave

My pleasure. I'm glad that they will be put to good use.

Yep, sorry my bad in my doc (I'll fix it up). Parrallel connection (12v @ 94A), connect the pin 11 on both suppies together - they will balance each other out in that configuration. For 24v @ 47A, best do some research on rcgroups as I haven't done this mod myself.

Cheers
Dennis

There are many options for terminations on the power supplies but given many were handed out this morning (thanks again Dennis!!) I thought I might share "my" approach.

I used 4mm female bullet connectors. The brass female tubes wedged between the +ve and -ve spades on the back of the power supply connector. The wedge fit was nice as I didn't need assistance to solder!

The heat dissipated through the bullet and the power supply connections. No smoke or plastic smell came from the surround. With nice solder fillets down the side of the connectors and the female bullets, I have two 4mm sockets sticking out nicely from the rear of the power supply. I put black and red heat shrink tubing over the top for polarity identification. My 200W qaud charger has male 4mm bullet connections on the flying leads so very simple (and soooo nice) to connect the charger.

Following a tip from Mr gbanger, I cut the plug and 30mm of wiring off a dead servo. I stripped all three wires and soldered together (easy). I then fiddled a little and managed to insert the servo plug diagonally across pins 6-8-10 to short out the pins to activate the power supply.

Very neat overall and took 20 minutes (provided you have the 4mm bullets).

I will post photos and update as soon as the camera batteries are charged. (Done: sorry for the hi-res photos. They take a while to load).

* I did not mod the fan speed as full speed is max cooling (and max current output rating). I note that my "other" power supply fails in summer at high loads due to inadequate head dissipation so I though I would leave as is.

Dave

** I might do the fan speed mod and connect pin 4 to 6-8-10. The noise reduction is substantial.

Good Work Dave

I Quickly Did Mine, But I am Going To Throw in a switch for High and low fan or a thermal Cut in Switch and also a potentiometer for Voltage Changes for a bit of Fun.

But Servo leads Work Well and Easy as.

Steve

Pictured Above Testing setup of Psu and Configurations

Just a reminder that you should not try this at home unless you are Qualified to do So, as Units may differ accordingly to model and specifications and what is done on one unit may not work on another unit. And if done incorrectly could be a Electrical Hazzard, Danger, Fire Risk Etc

Thxs for the power supplies Dennis

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thankyou Dennis for the two power supplies. Just as well as I got a second one as one is kaput. The good one had to have pins 6, 9 and 10 linked (per RC Groups) to make it work. I found that a 3.3k resistor from that connection to pin 4 quietens the fan a lot. That will be fine for say up to 5 amps but I'll be putting a switch to break that connection for full power use.

Brilliant supply, thanks again.

John

Just a general reminder that you should not try this at home. The screenshots posted here are by expertly trained electricians operating in a controlled environments under the supervision of other expertly trained electricians. There are also expertly trained electricians watching those expertly trained electricians just in case.
Modifying electrical items that use mains power generally a bad idea if you don't know what you are doing.

sounds like good advice Kizza, I got some limited TAFE electrical knowledge under my belt but around a year or two ago I went all out and bought a http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=769&view=769
maybe I could have invested better... I actually use it often these days but maybe price was a shocker...

I got 2 of these units today (Thanks so much Dennis)
Any one of you electrical guys offering to do the necessary mods for me?
I'll gladly pay something for your services.
Thanks

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Thanks also. I was a greedy guts and grabbed 3.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

(25-06-2012, 12:22 AM)paulj Wrote:  I got 2 of these units today (Thanks so much Dennis)
Any one of you electrical guys offering to do the necessary mods for me?
I'll gladly pay something for your services.
Thanks

Happy to do this for you Paul. If you have 4 x 4mm female bullet connectors and two dead servos (to take the plugs and a bit of wire) I will do gratis. These items will do both supplies you have.

Sadly I was unable to get to the field on Sunday, and I won't be there this comming weekend either but I should be there the following Saterday morning and hopefully Sunday as well

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Were the remaining supplies left somewhere for those of us who didn't make it to the field, or was there just a crazed aeromodeller power supply feeding frenzy on Sunday? Smile

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

I got there at 11am and caught Dennis before he left. I think there was a crazed aeromodeller feeding frenzy by the sound of things. Maybe someone could advise if there are some left.

(25-06-2012, 02:32 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Were the remaining supplies left somewhere for those of us who didn't make it to the field, or was there just a crazed aeromodeller power supply feeding frenzy on Sunday? Smile

LOL, a bit of a frenzy as I took about 30 to the field and brought home 4. I left 4 supplies for those that weren't there, and I also have the other 4 supplies at home for those that weren't able to make it. Let me know if you missed out, or if any of them were dud, as I can always get some more Smile

I'm glad you are all enjoying your new found source of power, and thanks for the chats on Sunday. It has now motivated me to get my planes converted to electric so I can come out and join you.

Hope to see you all soon down there again.

Cheers
Dennis

[Dennis - I've just made a quick edit to your post, hope you don't mind. The location of the extra four supplies has been altered. Thanks again for your generosity!]

(25-06-2012, 07:41 AM)Skidz Wrote:  Happy to do this for you Paul. If you have 4 x 4mm female bullet connectors and two dead servos (to take the plugs and a bit of wire) I will do gratis. These items will do both supplies you have.

Thanks Dave, will let you know when I have the connectors.
cheers

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Does someone want to organise it so that members can purchase a pre-modded power supply? Looking at the mods required I would have thought $20 would cover the odds and ends required, and could be added to the electricians drinking fund / the recycling drinking fund / general club funds. It also helps poor noobs like me get one where its best that soldering irons are best kept away from me for now, especially for mains power.

I am More Than Happy to Help Out Free of Charge of Course.
So if you need my help, Just Ask me next Time your Down at The Field and we can arrange something.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(25-06-2012, 02:40 PM)whitedg Wrote:  LOL, a bit of a frenzy as I took about 30 to the field and brought home 4.

Nice Smile

(25-06-2012, 02:40 PM)whitedg Wrote:  I left 4 supplies for those that weren't there, and I also have the other 4 supplies at home for those that weren't able to make it. Let me know if you missed out, or if any of them were dud, as I can always get some more Smile

Would love to put myself and Angus down for 2 of the remaining ones.

(25-06-2012, 02:40 PM)whitedg Wrote:  [Dennis - I've just made a quick edit to your post, hope you don't mind. The location of the extra four supplies has been altered. Thanks again for your generosity!]

Look out! smuzz has stolen kizza's super-powers!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Hi Dave,
Just been Inspecting the Servo Unit Tonight and It appears to have some type of internal Reset for short Circuit which is good.
I highly Reccommend an Additional Fuse or short circuit Protection to the 12 volt outputs before connection to Chargers etc possibly a replaceable or resetable with a 30 amp Rating.

Also did a bench test and Loaded up the psu with my trusty 12 Invertor with loaded up Variable resistive load and Tripped out at 54 amp.
Rated P=VI as labeled is correct but unit did get warm even with fan on high.

Steve Smile