Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Charging at home

I know that when people are at the field, they run their LiPo chargers off their car battery - no probs. Does anyone have a power supply they can recommend for 12v for when they are at home? I looked at the ones on Hobbyking but the reviews seem to be universally awful about quality.

Good question. I bought a 240V to 12V 20A power supply from Electus Distribution (Jaycar's parent). It has been replaced under warranty twice from burnout. Seems anything over 15A wrecks them (go figure). I'd sort of recommend them if you were happy with 10A load max. It cost $90. Problem is that anything good (new) costs a bomb.

I just got one of these for charging at home. have had one at work for a couple of years now and it works great !! So does the new one here at home. Just $37 including postage

It can be adjusted up to 14V and supplies 30A

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-30A-360W-..._Equipment&hash=item3a731c4fb2
It can be adjusted up to 14V and supplies 30A

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I gave my son Kev an old pc power supply which he has been using
for about 18 months now without any problems.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Yeh, I use an old power supply from a discarded notebook computer - fits the socket perfectly.

Steve Murray

Ben,

I work for GME ( Standard Communications Pty Ltd))

http://www.gme.net.au/

Have a look at our Power supplies - I've been using the PSA1210 & running two chargers off it for years.

Great unit works extremely well with no issues - after all we designed & built them.

There are many models I use the PSA1210 (10 Amp Rating) as stated - if using the larger batteries say 5s & 6s suggest maybe the larger units PSM1225 or PSM1235 giving up to 35 amps.

Have a look at these - the specs are on the web ..link is above.

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

They look quite good Ingo. Do they cost an arm and a leg?

I am curious to know how much they want to devour my sou..... I mean wallet as well.

Hi guys, new to the site but used to fly with SRCS many years ago.

At my work, we have many servers (I'm talking thousands of servers) and with each server having 2 PSU's and our turnover of them every 5 years, I can get 12v 47A PSU's for nothing. With a little research (check out rcgroups.com) these can be easily converted to a quiet, clean powerful supply to run your chargers off at home.

If anyone is interested, please let me know - free to a good home (otherwise they just get scrapped).

Cheers
whitedg

(19-06-2012, 06:04 PM)whitedg Wrote:  Hi guys, new to the site but used to fly with SRCS many years ago.

At my work, we have many servers (I'm talking thousands of servers) and with each server having 2 PSU's and our turnover of them every 5 years, I can get 12v 47A PSU's for nothing. With a little research (check out rcgroups.com) these can be easily converted to a quiet, clean powerful supply to run your chargers off at home.

If anyone is interested, please let me know - free to a good home (otherwise they just get scrapped).

Cheers
whitedg

Hi Whitedg

Yes You Are Right they are a great thing to power Lipo Chargers.
I got one Pictured Below which puts out 12v/38.3 amps and quiet.

I'm more than happy to take a few of them off your hands and give them the mod for other fliers to use that need them.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

What MOD ?? do they need Steve.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(19-06-2012, 08:52 PM)gbanger Wrote:  What MOD ?? do they need Steve.

It all Depends on the unit Brand and Type, the one i have is simply joining a wire between two pins so it will pump out 38 amps
Other units may as simple or or may need to parallel the the 12v outputs to get the amps. Other units simply need identifying the output wires.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I could do with one of these please.
Will be handy to charge the big batteries that I need for the
jets.
Steve if you are willing to have a look at them and do whatever needs
doing.
Probably could do with another one for Kev too.
Thanks for the offer Dennis.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

i'm up for one . i need more chargers and a power supply . thanks if there is any left .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(19-06-2012, 11:27 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  i'm up for one . i need more chargers and a power supply . thanks if there is any left .

Let me know if there is more I can do with a good amp supply.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hi Whitedg,

If there's one left I'd use one. Be good to have some decent amps.

Me too..... Its always nice to have a big chunky power supply in your pocket.
And maybe then I could switch off the battery charger that has been running non stop in my garage for 2 years.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Cool, I'll check out how many I have at home at the moment, and if need be, organise to get some more from work with the next decommission run.

I've documented how I set up mine here:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/whitedg/I...47APSU.pdf

So far, I have the following members wanting one:
samste
wingtipper
raptorfly
stillflyin
gbanger

I've been meaning to try to get to see the field one weekend, but with rain and kids weekend activities, time is off the essence.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and let you all know closer to the weekend if I can make it there this weekend - weather permitting. Otherwise, I can post them or can arrange a pick up if you want (Rydalmere after hours).

Cheers
whitedg

(20-06-2012, 09:56 AM)whitedg Wrote:  Cool, I'll check out how many I have at home at the moment, and if need be, organise to get some more from work with the next decommission run.

I've documented how I set up mine here:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/whitedg/I...47APSU.pdf

So far, I have the following members wanting one:
samste
wingtipper
raptorfly
stillflyin
gbanger

I've been meaning to try to get to see the field one weekend, but with rain and kids weekend activities, time is off the essence.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and let you all know closer to the weekend if I can make it there this weekend - weather permitting. Otherwise, I can post them or can arrange a pick up if you want (Rydalmere after hours).

Cheers
whitedg

I'll be happy to save one from going to scrap !! Could do with another supply for charging !!

Thanks for the offer !!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

G'day Dennis,
Acme Systems?

Dennis I have also indicated that I would like 2 of these please.
1 for myself and 1 for my son Kev.
Hope you have enough.
thanks

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Add my name to the list for one please. (I am not a member yet, ask next financial year/2 weeks).

OK I have 8 of the 47A versions un-modded, 2 that have been modded (internally wired up with output wires) and 4 of the 32A versions.

The boys at work are pulling more for me, so I should have more of an idea tomorrow of the numbers.

I'll let you know closer to the weekend if I can make it to the field on the weekend.

Cheers
Whitedg

The boys have 70 servers that are going to the scrap heap next week. I've managed to grab another 12 PSU's (from the 140 that are being scrapped), so I now have 20 to go.

Man those things are heavy when you need to lug them all over the city.....

Cheers
whitedg

Hello Dennis. Could you please put another 2 aside by any chance? For Angus (ConcreteTurtle) and I?

Regretting making the offer yet? Smile "No good deed goes unpunished" and all that.

At least you'll have no shortage of sponsors for your membership!!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(21-06-2012, 10:11 AM)Claudius Wrote:  Regretting making the offer yet? Smile "No good deed goes unpunished" and all that.

At least you'll have no shortage of sponsors for your membership!!

LOL - no problems. Is there somewhere at the field that I would be able to leave them (I'd write names on them and leave them in a box)?

I might be looking for some membership sponsors soon, so good to know.

Honestly, I'm just happy to see them put to good use - it is a shame that they just get put through the shredder (cool to watch though). So far, I've sent some to QLD, VIC and Turkey - so it is good to keep modelers in power.

Cheers
Whitedg

Dennis,
Do your boys need help? I'm currently looking for work, 10+ years @ TPG, lots of experience in Datacentres...

Hi Dennis, John C here. If you can spare one I'll take one off your hands as well. - John.

Denis I live quite close to the field.
If you want to drop them off at my place instead of the field
give me a call to ensure I'm home.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

I'd like to stick my hand up for one too if there are any left. At the moment I'm charging off a 1amp plug pack. Needless to say it takes a while......

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.