Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Beginner flying toolset/equipment set

I am thinking of making a Hobbyzone order soon (which will show up in that thread as it happens) but I am trying to work out what to buy first.

So far, I figure that to fly a plane, the following is needed (yes I am being painfully obvious):

1. A transmitter
2. A complete plane with reciever to suit transmitter
3. Batteries to suit plane
4. A battery charger

So far, I am at:

1. Complete (Spektrum DX8)
2. Incomplete (need a motor and prop)
3. Complete (3 batteries)
4. Incomplete

Therefore I am looking at ordering a motor, 5 props (they are easily breakable but cheap) and a charger. Now, do I need anything else?

Things I have thought of include: wattmeter (either dedicated or $5 multimeter), duct tape/filler for fixing accident damage, glue, craft knives.

I am also considering converting the battery connectors from Deans to XT-60. I am sort of competent with a soldering iron - is that an ok thing to do? I figure to do that the parts I would need are new connectors and some heat shrink tubing.

100 WATT soldering iron is required , 80 watt minimum for connector soldering , a small vice , a heat gun ( hotter than a hair dryer ) for shrinking heat shrink , A HOT MELT GLUE GUN AND GLUE ( THESE ARE A MUST )wattmetre . xt60 connectors are the hardest to get hold of , most suppliers are out of stock , (e'bay is your friend) . prop savers, spare O'rings , if its a belly lander , allan keys , spare esc , spare servos ,spare receivers spare props of different sizes . spare balsa wood , , control rods and horns , wing hinge tape , thick zap , + zap kicker , connector adaptors ( made or bought) tri square , rule , scales , elctrical tape , double sided tape , cable ties , sticky felt for battery hold down , bits of small pine for re inforcing , needle files , a dremel , wire , paint and brushes . call me over the top , but trust me over the top this is not , i have found all of these essential.
this is nothing compared to what the more experienced modellers and flyers own , consider things like a better range radio , s'bechs , air pumps , retracts on standbye , a 12 volt car battery on charged for the field .

the 1st paragraph i consider essential , from there it build 's up as you destroy planes and salvage spare motors and esc's etc . not trying to scare you mate , but if i go down to bunnings or the hobby shop , i'm like a woman in a shoe shop , and even then i drive home smashing my head against the window cause i forgot something , i shake with excitement when i'm building ,fixing , salvaging , setting up , testing , buying online - the enter button on the keyboard is like a paypal poker machine button , even even resorted to having a coffee and toast at home so i can save 7 bucks towards next weeks xt60 plugs etc . ive learnt how to lie like a woman , and tell my wife i saved money by spending it .
i forgot , go down to supercheap autos and buy tool boxes a tool bag , and storage containers , go to the boltaster and buy 3mm bolts and 4 mm bots and nuts and small 2g and 3g self tappers , magnets too .
did i LEAVE ANYTHING OUT !!!!!!!
YES I HAVE . more than one plane . 3 to start with, and have 2 of your favorite , great for spares as the 1st will be the prototype .

plywood , chisels for cutting ply wood , spare foam , spare depron . safety glasses, glad wrap , vaseline . wd 40 , light oil , power supply for your charger . fibre glass repair kit ,. STORAGE SHELVES , and storage area for planes .
one person i know here has a workshop the size of a small house full of rc stuff .

have i mentioned onboard video cameras , and / fpv gear yet , DONT FORGET THE SOFTWARE FOR YOUR COMPUTER AT HOME FOR VIDEO EDITING , and a simulator this is a must .
i'm actually considering getting rid of the sedan and buying an SUV .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Welcome to the vortex that is ................RC flight............... now your bank balance will be zero

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

BEGINNING RC FLYING AS A HOBBY

Here is a couple of helpful links below and remember Forum is your Friend ask the question if your not sure, and be prepared to make mistakes along the way and learn from them and most of all ENJOY an Have FUN that's why we all Do It, as well as a Great Social Sport with many aspects to it and you are learning and gaining Experience and Knowledge all the Time.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/

http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/index.html

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Resurrecting this thread, for some newer folk that have been coming down to the field. There are a couple of threads similar, and heaps of other stuff if you google.

Specifically though if you want to start flying and coming down to our field, here are some tips.

1. Register on this forum, introduce yourself and post on the forum on the thur/fri that you'll come down the field to visit, watch the forum for weather reports, and notification if flying days are cancelled for any reason.
2. Visit the field, chat to the members, we are friendly and helpful. If you post on the forum in advance we may be able to get you up in a trainer with an instructor when you visit.
3. Visit your local hobbyshop, Ultimate Hobbies in Parramatta is closest to our field and have been good, many members have bought equipment and been supported there.
4. If you are literally a first timer and have a PC, get a RC simulator (Phoenix, RealFlight are two common ones). You can buy the whole sim kit including a practice transmitter new for less than $200. Simulator IS worth it when starting, you will develop the flying skills faster, and save yourself some crashes!
5. Transmitter - you can buy a plane RFT (Ready to Fly) including transmitter, and for first plane thats absolutely fine. Depending on make/model, the packaged transmitter may not allow an instructor to 'buddy' you though, ie fly with you and take over if you are going to crash... think about that, but it is the cheapest way to get all the equipment, and working together.

If you are confident you'll stay with the sport, and are willing to spend a little more upfront, buy your own transmitter. At our club, the most popular brands are Spektrum and Frysky. Get something with at least 6 channels or more eg DX6, DX7-9. A DX6 or DX6i is quite sufficient to start with , as you get more involved you may upgrade your transmitter. You can buy second-hand but take the risk on it fully working, and they are hard to test, unless you connect it all up to receivers and servos, you'll need some knowledge. Some of the hobby shops, like Ultimate Hobbies will sell second hand ones all checked out, so good idea to ask.

6. Come to our field and arrange with a member (Club Instructor) to have a buddy fly, with a club trainer. You can do this before you buy anything.

7. First plane... unless you are very comfortable with assembly and electronics, get an ARF or RTF 'foamie' (made of foam). Foamies are robust and easily to repair, best for learning. ARF/RTF are all setup (minimal assembly, ARF you will need to install the receiver for your transmitter), so you dont waste time on doing that and instead get straight to learning to fly. Talk to members at the club, or hobby shop about recommending a good trainer. If you need help setting up, bring it down to the field, members will help with advice/guidance or even do it for you!!

**For now FORGET that awesome looking Spitfire or Mustang you saw in the hobbyshop or online, with those flaps, big wingspan, retractable landing gear and all that cool stuff! It is not what to start with- trust me it'll end in tears! If you must buy it, keep it in the box for a few months while you learn on something easier. Don't be fooled either by the term 'trainer', they can be lots of fun, aerobatic and even fast, they are just a design that is a bit more forgiving if you stuff up.

A mid-wing 'pusher' (engine at the back) with a big wingspan >900mm, is good, as is a high-wing trainer on tricycle wheels (like a cessna) is also good. Good (safe) brands like Parkzone, Horizon, Eflite are good... there are many, best to talk to members, and a your hobby shop. You can certainly buy a cheap plane on-line, but you do need to know what you are buying, and parts are usually harder(impossible) to get... yes you will need parts, as you crash and need to repair, the mainstream brands mentioned above usually have parts available in the hobby shops. If you buy on-line do your research, so you know exactly what you want, and what you're getting.

8. Got your simulator....USE IT! If you can do 10hrs of sim time before you first flight, you'll pick up the real flying much quicker. Sims are good, but are NOT fully realistic, you will master the basics of sim flying, then come to real thing and find it more difficult. Biggest value when learning is they train your brain in the reverse orientation of control when the aircraft is flying at you.

9. First (maiden) flight. So you got your plane and transmitter, got your buddy, and ready to fly. Step 1, get another experienced member to 'checkout' your plane, the assembly, transmitter setup, CoG... make sure you get the best chance for a successful maiden. If your still learning and new, ask another pilot to maiden it for you, find any problems, get it trimmed and ready for you, this is a common request not only of new members but also experienced flyers who arent familiar with a new type. Then you take it up, with or without buddy depending on your skill level.

Ok so thats how to start flying down at our club. I have used the example of planes, but quads are also flown at the club, the only difference that with the 'very-auto' capability of drones like Phantom, Blades etc, you dont really need to buddy, just having someone to talk and guide you is usually enough, till you progress to racing/aerobatic drones.

Stuff you will buy starting off.
-plane (for learning, get something with wingspan >900mm)
-transmitter
-receiver
-simulator
-batteries (have 3 when learning, type of battery will depend on plane)
-battery voltage tester
-battery charger ( the options here are many, start simple)
-glue ! (many choices for that too)
- then lots more stuff... make room in your garage/shed!!