Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

To swap: Trainer for Beer

My old Blu-Baby is taking up valuable space and it's time for it to move on. I want to swap this for a six-pack of 500ml Oettinger cans.

The plane was made by yours truly off a plan obtained from RCGroups (there was a build-thread somewhere amongst the forums). I learned to fly with it and can recommend it as a very veryeasy to fly trainer. It's had its share of dings with most of these still evident, but still does the business. It comes with everything except a motor (a Park 480, Turnigy 3530C or equivalent will do it) and receiver - I will throw in the rubber bands, and two or three puffy old 2200mAh batteries and there's a Parkzone 18A ESC still in there.

See me at the field some time if you're interested - you bring the beer and you get the plane, quite simple.

Here's the proof ... it does actually fly!

Steve Murray

I love the Video Steve, That alone is worth a schooner !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks Jason! Junior and I had a few laughs putting it together Smile

Steve Murray

Is this still available? I am planning to become a member soonish, and this could be the thing to really get me going.

Yes Ben - it's still available and the price hasn't changed ... although it's getting closer to Friday and I'm getting thirsty.

Steve Murray

Its a deal if you can throw in some more advice on how to get it flight ready - I can get it Saturday or Sunday morning and will explain what advice I want then (mostly around places to get prop/engine and check how to mount receiver)

No problems mate - the advice flows continually from every orifice, so there'll be plenty of that.

Once it's airworthy again, I'll get my son to give you a couple of Buddy-lessons free of charge if you like.

See you on the weekend,
Steve

Steve Murray

Im figuring that beer is best given on a Saturday morning rather then Sunday (as it can then be drunk Saturday night) - would you be there sometime Saturday morning?

Certainly, your calculations are spot-on.
I usually lob in at the crack of 10:00am or thereabouts.

Steve Murray

(17-05-2012, 04:52 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Certainly, your calculations are spot-on.
I usually lob in at the crack of 10:00am or thereabouts.

And I certainly owe you some too. Looks like it's going to be a bumper day mate!!

Smile

Correction Victor - you don't owe me anything, by my calculations!
See you tomorrow.

Steve Murray

(18-05-2012, 11:15 AM)smuzz Wrote:  Correction Victor - you don't owe me anything, by my calculations!
See you tomorrow.
OK Boss. As you say!!! See you tomorrow

Smile

Ben - it was good to meet you today and thanks again for the beer ... it is working as advertised as I type :-)

Here is the type of motor I'd recommend for the Blu-Baby ...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...0w%5F.html
... but notice that the mounting kit is a separate item via the "Parts/Acc" button below the Product Config Table, about half way down the page.

A 9x6 propeller would be fine as the current draw would be below the 18A rating of the ESC (although I have a spare 30A ESC you could use which would provide an extra margin if you wished).

One thing I forgot to check on today before handing it over was the alignment of the undercarriage. Just check from above the fuselage to see whether the wheels are pigeon-toed and bend the legs until they're straight, otherwise ground handling is difficult because it will dance from side to side down the runway. Anyway, we can check all that at a later date if you'd like to visit the field again some time.

Steve Murray

Considering what was swapped, I feel obliged to add this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcEG_JoVuo

Love it very appropriate........................Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

An update to this thread.....

My boss (who got me into this) has seen the plane and he is very interested in obtaining one. He has asked me to see if there are any more available, and at what price. I doubt he is after the plans and how to build it, I think he is after something closer to BNF or RTF.

Does anyone have one (or something similar) they would be willing to part with?

Well, that's interesting.
I'm quite sure there aren't any more Blu-Baby's of that type lying around but there might be some Eflite Apprentices or similar amongst the membership which are surplus to requirements - I think they'd be worth considerably more than six beers though Wink

Steve Murray

I agree it would be worth more then 6 beers.

When my boss was talking about it I suggested a number closer to $100 (hoping inside that I was aiming high and it would be closer to 70). If thats 6 beers it would want to be nice beer.

Mind you - I would hope (based on conversation with him) its a plane complete with all required bits to fly except for a tx. Love bites optional (to the plane!)

Back to the blu-baby, I am planning to make a modification to it - the wire that forms the undercarriage seems to have popped out from its original placing. I am planning to use picture wire to loop between the two where it joins the fuselage and twist it tighter to hold it in place.

For a proper 4-channel plane, ready to go, $100 would be more like it - depending on the brand of receiver, ESC and servos already installed.

Yes, some picture frame wire or even a cable-tie on the legs would stop the Blu-Baby from spreading 'em!

Steve Murray

Ben

My friend has Parkzone Stratos Firebird complete plane, lipo and TX mode 1 . He found it too easy to fly and got boored after 4-5 flights . I think he was looking to sell it for around $120.
Let me know if interested

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Sorry its sold

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano