Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Archive: Flying this Week...

Well I've maiden-ed two Kinetics so far and will be doing a third tomorrow at Penrith. As Kieran mentioned I used a glide test off the bank next to Grace to trim the elevator. You will need all the elevator authority you can get, but for the ailerons I would suggest 70% with a little expo. For the first couple of flights I would suggest you get someone else to hand launch (unless you are ok with the use of the rudder (I fly mode 1) to keep the wings level). I now self hand launch with about 65% power and some back elevator, try and keep the wings nice and horizontal, this will give you more time to get your hand back onto the stick. I use a 3S 800mAh battery and fly at 55 to 65% throttle for flight time of 9 to 10minutes.

If the weather stay good i am planning on being at our field on Wednesday if you want a hand.

KevB

I AM worried about the trim, once I know how it goes I'll be right to launch it myself, just the weather today was absolutely beautiful, perfect flying weather at the moment. Hope it lasts till the weekend.

p.s,
last week I took my HK Yak54 down to a local park, full throttle, chucked it, plane went up, but I think I panicked a bit to get my my fingers in the right position on the control (I think I might have actually cut throttle), anyway, that thing doesn't glide, crashes really good though.... motor came loose and due to it's cheap HK construction, I had to cut through the foam just to get the motor out. With a motor mounting modification and heaps of epoxy, I'm sure I will have it flying again soon. :-)

(01-08-2011, 08:17 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  I AM worried about the trim, once I know how it goes I'll be right to launch it myself, just the weather today was absolutely beautiful, perfect flying weather at the moment. Hope it lasts till the weekend.

Both times there was small adjustment required on the elevator trim. Not much that an experience pilot with both hands on the TX would not have been able to control it. Aileron and rudder only required a few clicks. All the Kinetics I have seen have a slight banana shape to their fuse but this can be trimmed out.

I was down at the field today and it was perfect.

I got a 3S 1.6 sqaushed in there, I have got smaller batteries in my collection, but since putting a 3S 2.45 into a floater jet, have grown to like nose heavy planes.

Kev,
If I don't manage to find someone to help me tomorrow, please post what time you're heading out on Wednesday and I'll try and meet you there. I'll bring some extra smaller batteries just in case it flies like a brick....
>>>I was down at the field today and it was perfect. <<<

Jealous.... :-)

(01-08-2011, 08:27 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  Kev,
If I don't manage to find someone to help me tomorrow, please post what time you're heading out on Wednesday and I'll try and meet you there. I'll bring some extra smaller batteries just in case it flies like a brick....

Was looking at around late morning to lunch time as the weather forecast is saying light winds then. But what time best suits you?

I unexpectedly found myself with some free time this afternoon
as I got a call telling me not to pickup my grandkids from school,so I took
myself down to our field and enjoyed a couple of hours in the sun.
Did lots of circuits and touch and goes and used up a few batteries.
While I was there Edward Kjeldgaard and his wife and son arrived and he
decided to fly his T28. Unfortunately his flight ended in disaster with the T28
crashed onto a factory rooftop.
Luckily he found a guy in the car park near the factory with a large ladder and he kindly retrieved
the plane for him. From what I saw, it looks like it sustained a fair bit of damage.
Edward was using a DX6i transmitter and after the crash he asked me to look at it.
The thing smelt something terrible (like burnt insulation) I suspect that was the cause of the crash
but Edward reckons it's smelt like that since he first bought it.
I strongly suggested that he send it back to O'reilleys as it's still under warranty.
He tells me that's 3 planes for 3 write offs he has now had.

PS. Sorry Arron I could not ring you to let you know I was going down there.
Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I am planning on dropping by the field for a fly tomorrow afternoon after work at a little after 3pm if that helps.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

[/quote]

Was looking at around late morning to lunch time as the weather forecast is saying light winds then. But what time best suits you?
[/quote]

Thanks Kev, Paul and Gary, I flew today with Steve so will give tomorrow a miss. Crashed a few times, wings popped out but they easily snap back in again. I was really suprised how gutless the kinetic is, I honestly thought it would be in the league of a floater jet, but not to be....

From my HK experience so far the floater jet is the only plane I would recommend.

(02-08-2011, 07:35 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  Was looking at around late morning to lunch time as the weather forecast is saying light winds then. But what time best suits you?
Crashed a few times, wings popped out but they easily snap back in again. I was really surprised how gutless the kinetic is,
I'm surprised, I have no trouble with a vertical climb and other aerobatics in the Kinetic.

I also popped the wings on mine, be aware after you do this to check on the little plastic clips at the root of the wings, in my case had to use some 5min epoxy on them as they had come loose and the wings tended to flop a bit. I also have a HK floater jet and find the Kinetic more exciting, although it does not have the glide ratio of the floater jet. Bring it down on Saturday and I will give you a race. Where did you have the cg set at?

>>Where did you have the cg set at?

Front of the wings, a bit more than what it should, but then, elevator 'out of box- setting' tended to give it a tail down nose up attitude anyway. If I get time during the week I want to re-paint the wings and finish with some varnish. I could do it now but busy.... drinking beer and cooking pork roast.... :-P

The Kinetic is not a bad flyer as i test Flew it today, it required some elevator trimming to get it flying sweet and some aileron trim but all in all not bad, very similar characteristics of the mini swift but in a larger version.
Eg. large loops ok, small loops ends in blender move

Possibly Arron try flying on sat with the stock lipo rather than the heavier 1600ma lipo and the flight characteristics will be different again.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(02-08-2011, 07:29 PM)paulj Wrote:  Edward was using a DX6i transmitter
I strongly suggested that he send it back to O'reilleys as it's still under warranty.

Hi Paul, there was a re-call on the DX8 and some DX6i for a DSM2 backwards compatibility problem. My DX8 had the problem and I lost 3 planes, it was sent back for a firmware update. Ask him to check the PID number against these.
DX6i/DX5e/DX4e:
PID: HS010, HS011, HH011, HT011, HT012, HE012, HE101, HA101, HA102, HA103, HA104, HA105

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

(02-08-2011, 10:03 PM)samste Wrote:  The Kinetic is not a bad flyer as i test Flew it today, it required some elevator trimming to get it flying sweet and some aileron trim but all in all not bad, very similar characteristics of the mini swift but in a larger version.
Eg. large loops ok, small loops ends in blender move

Possibly Arron try flying on sat with the stock lipo rather than the heavier 1600ma lipo and the flight characteristics will be different again.

Steve

I've just put a 3900kv ducted fan motor in there, 40amp ESC, standard prop...... ummm...... should I be scared....

What was that Kevin(?) You want to have a race....? :-D

If it doesn't blowup first, yeah I'll race :-)

(04-08-2011, 03:57 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  I've just put a 3900kv ducted fan motor in there, 40amp ESC, standard prop...... ummm...... should I be scared....

What was that Kevin(?) You want to have a race....? :-D

If it doesn't blowup first, yeah I'll race :-)

I think a 3900kv motor is a bit to high kv for the stock 8x5 prop setup
(i'm guessing it would draw approx 80 amps)

I think if you were looking for more speed using stock setup prop you would be looking at upgrading the stock 1250 kv motor to 1450kv and it would be approx draw 40 amps
It only a small amount of kv increase but a huge difference you would see.
Alternately increase prop size to existing motor to 9x4 or 9x7 and this would be a major improvement.

just my 2 cents worth Smile
Remember its only a kinetic not a speedster glider, its not design to cope with high speed
Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I tried getting a smaller folding prop today from Ultimate Hobbies but no luck. I do have smaller 5x5 and a 6x4 left over from my floater jet. I was just really bored with it as standard... (and I had this motor lying around)

Original motor was suprisingly small. Larger prop will create more torque which may make harder to control. I'll bring my smaller props down to the field and see what happens. If the wings flutter and fly off, I just hope there's enough witnesses down at the field to make it worth while :-)

In fact I'll set it up with one of the smaller props, standard prop I know will draw too many Amps if not fly apart as the whole piece is made from plastic.

>> Remember its only a kinetic not a speedster glider, its not design to cope with high speed

I just want something that penetrate wind so I can take on holidays and fly at the beach, off cliffs.

Arron just take extra care when testing as you said, prop is made from plastic and 3900kv is alot of revolutions i think and the prop will break and could be very dangerous.
Eye and Body protection if you going to try it, which you should do anyway when testing anything with props and ducted fans etc. As you don't want to get Hurt
Safety, Protection and Caution all the Time, don't risk it without it.

(Thats why i suggested sticking to lower kv but increased prop size)

Sorry if I'm scaring you or anyone else but just look on web at pictures of injuries From Rc props ducted fans etc, Fingers, eyes etc Frown

Steve

I agree with Steve, you need to do the sums on upgrades to make sure that any changes you make are safe and not going to tear you or the aircraft to pieces, Make sure you do a full throttle ground test at arms length and do a current draw to make sure it won't blow up in the air.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

If I had a different motor I would, honestly..... I will only have small prop attached promise. I know what these things are capable of and... yes, it scares me :-)

might need some help trimming again though, any takers?

More than Happy Too but won't be down on Saturday till just after 1030am

Steve Smile

Bummer - another Aircrash Investigation. Luckily the Pilot ejected moments before impact. Not sure exactly what happened. It felt like Radio failure (which would be ironic as I just added the orange receiver satellite to improve Radio security/range) as I tried to pull out of the dive with lots of up elevator but instead there is now a Funjet nose impression in the soft earth. I thought I'd stop for a fly after work and it was good for a few minutes but the following photos show the result. Should be able to repair it to a flyable state - need to test if the electronics have survived though.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Your gunna repair that to a "flyable state" your a clever man John.
After an event of those proportions I would be heading in this direction
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Only_.html
My only other observation is "Orange Receivers" ??????
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

What a bugger John. Sorry to see that.

Actually Gazz, I agree with you. After pottering around with the bits for an hour and struggling to glue one of the many pieces (onto a bent airframe), its probably not worth the effort. And Orange receiver...it seemed to work OK for quite a few previous flights until I added the Satellite bit for more range...or it could be my new 11ms Frame Rate DX7se is incompatible with this cheap receiver...who knows. I think I will get a new airframe and start again. This plane is too much fun to give up on it just yet.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Are they the original elevons?

No, I realized how flimsy the original foam ones were so I fitted 30mm Balsa elevons with hinges. At the time of the crash I was flying straight down and trying to give up elevator to loop it around towards me but it wouldn't respond. Possibly I was disorientated because I then found the plane nose into the soft earth facing the other way.? Also, Not sure what fail safe I had set up (never checked it) so if I did lose Radio link was it still under power in the dive as it seemed to hit hard - even the soft ground caused major damage.
For $40 I'll get another airframe when it comes into stock. I may still try to get this one flyable (it wont be a pretty plane) without spending too much time on it, just to have a practice plane that I can fly (like it's stolen!)

John Jelovic

Gday John

Did you re-bind the receiver when you installed the satellite?
When I got my 1st sat, I noticed that on first fire up the main receiver got a solid light however the satellite flashed away merrily. I rebound and got a solid light on both.
These orange receivers are a real mixed bag, I have had no issues with them however I did one prob when I was at the PEMAC field and I could not get a bind to my Soaring Star? I have not been able to replicate this either at home or at our field?? Intereseting that you mention the possibility of the Orange's not being able to handle the extra "speed" of the SE? Can you select the link speed with that radio, ie on my DX8 I can choose 11 or 22 millisecond links that are used for either digital or analogue servo's??

BTW do you want to join me in a folding prop order from Peter Pine to get your Lark sorted?
I haver posted a link in the "useful links for buying stuff" forum that will show you what he has. I held off on my order as I was going to get another glider from HK however have cancelled this due to needing to replace my 500GT heli which recently destroyed itself in spectacular fashion, much like your funjet.

Cheers
Rob B

I did bind the Orange Receiver with Sat attached as I had to rebind all my planes again with the replacement of my Tx to a DX7se. However, I didn't notice (or even look for) a light on the Sat. Interesting... I'll try binding again and take note. I've read some forums concerning Orange receivers and DX7se & there doesn't seem to be any noteable issues. Who knows what really happened when my Funjet nosed in. It seemed like the plane wouldn't respond during those few seconds but was it a Rx issue.. or a plug became dislodged.. or just disorientation.. things happen pretty quick with a Funjet. Actually not that quick with my conservative speeds... anyway sorry to hear about your 500GT. I guess you can't avoid a crash here & there unless you sit at home and use your aircraft as ornaments.
P.S. as far as I know you can't adjust the frame rate - they even advertise it on your display screen along with your plane details.
A reason why there's no Trainer port as the 11ms frame rate is incompatible with ... not sure what??

John Jelovic

(08-08-2011, 11:38 PM)johnjelovic Wrote:  Orange receiver...it seemed to work OK for quite a few previous flights until I added the Satellite bit for more range...or it could be my new 11ms Frame Rate DX7se is incompatible with this cheap receiver...who knows. I think I will get a new airframe and start again. This plane is too much fun to give up on it just yet.

Hi John
Not sure if people with the new DX8 and DX7se DSMX are aware of this.
I have the DX8 and I lost 3 planes because of a DSM2 compatibility issue. My orange receivers used to bind but when I land they come up blinking, the same happened with AR6100. This was a sign of brown outs while flying. The 3 planes I lost because I lost control for 3-4 seconds then it comes back, but it was too late for these. This sounds like what is happening to you.
Then Spektrum agreed with us on RC groups that there was a problem (DSM2 backwards compatibility hold issue), and sent out a re-call on all DSMX controllers. DX8, DX7se, DX6i etc. I sent mine back for service and now its seems to be working very well.
Did you register your TX on the Spektrum website? If you did you would have got an email but I suggest you check this link.http://publications.horizonhobby.com/read/archive?id=3714&e=staroscik%40gmail.com&x=c3f6f1f1

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hi guy's

Planning to Get Down The Field tommorow Afternoon for a Fly, hoping to finish early, will post when heading Down if i can make It.
(Thinking Around 2pm till 4pm)

Steve Smile

Im hoping to get there tomorrow to Steve. Just finished dialing in my new Red Bull Edge 540.
I will never buy another Kyosho model! What a time consuming fiddley prick of a thing to build.
Anyway hope to be down at the field for a maiden or 2 between 3 and 3.30. Will see you there if the sky gods are nice to us.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thread Closed