Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

Yes mate - must have just missed you.
Not a pretty sight eh?

Steve Murray

It Looks Like The Weather is not going to give Prcac Field a Break, I Think after this Huge downpour Today it will be absolutely bogged.

And this weekend coming a wash out again.

Steve Frown

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Aren't you going to outer south west Gosford to the SRCS open day? The weather should be ok there.

Not sure yet, as i a family thing on.
But it will be a good out.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I think it would be a cracker event. Too bad I can't go.

Has anyone inspected the field in recent days? The weather forecast this weekend does look ok with chance of rain (worst case) at 20% but only 1-5mm if it does rain. That seems ok to me.

Not in recent days, no - I was there on Saturday and there was water still lying about on the runway. I don't expect it will have improved at all, after yesterday's storm.
I've got a really busy time this week at work (yes, even for academics it sometimes happens) so I don't know that I'll be able to get there before the weekend. Perhaps someone else will be able to wander in and provide a report?...

Steve Murray

I will be out and about Tommorow so i will try and do a pic update of Field and its condition.

That being said it really needs a mow if it is in ok condition for the weekend.

Steve Smile

We had a bit of rain again tonight so I don't expect
the field to be in great condition.
Regarding mowing, if the field is soft Darren will probably not
cut the grass as the ride on mower is heavy and most probably bog.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

You hit the nail on the head there Paul, I was going to join Steve for some combat aircraft evaluation today but the wind is howling. So I stopped to check the field on the way home and I am sorry to say it is in a pretty poor state.
Almost all of the main runway squelches under foot and there is standing water on at least 30% of it that cannot even be walked on. The new wider section of runway recently mowered is also a bog. Even the bottom of the taxi way is RS. And the motor bike guys have ripped 25% of the main runway to shreds
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys but I dont think the field will be OK for at least another week, probably more, and that is if it stops raining now!
The grass is at least 3 inches high and needs mowing badly but push mowers will not be able to be used for some time due to the sodden ground. Darrens mower is completely out of the question
If you wanted to drop by for a quick fly with hand launched aircfraft you could but you will need to pick your landing spot and even then it will need to be wiped down.
Large aircraft are completely out of the question.
Looks like another trip to Area 51 this weekend it you want to fly
We really need to get the field there swept as soon as possible.
Once again guys sorry to be the bearer of sad news.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Well, it's no great surprise Gazz - but thanks anyway for the report.

Steve Murray

Being unable to go out to The Missions today, I consoled myself by having a walk around McCoy to see how it was looking.

I was shocked to see it was greatly improved!

In only a couple of days since Gary reported, it has dried out considerably. I think the surrounding grass and reeds are probably soaking up most of the groundwater through their root systems because although it's been warm it's also been humid so I don't think much of the water has disappeared through evaporation. The runway has only one section which I decided not to walk on, the rest of it is remarkably good. There are no pools or puddles, just a couple of soft ditches on the southern side of the runway.

Someone has also been down there and mowed - by the looks of the tyre tracks left in the soft sections, it doesn't look like Darren's ride-on mower, but whatever it was, it wasn't a hand-pushed mower. There's quite a lot of the grass-clippings still on the runway too, but overall it's not bad.

These photographs were taken at about 1:00pm today (Saturday).

Steve Murray

(12-11-2011, 02:26 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Being unable to go out to The Missions today, I consoled myself by having a walk around McCoy to see how it was looking.

I was shocked to see it was greatly improved!

In only a couple of days since Gary reported, it has dried out considerably. I think the surrounding grass and reeds are probably soaking up most of the groundwater through their root systems because although it's been warm it's also been humid so I don't think much of the water has disappeared through evaporation. The runway has only one section which I decided not to walk on, the rest of it is remarkably good. There are no pools or puddles, just a couple of soft ditches on the southern side of the runway.

Someone has also been down there and mowed - by the looks of the tyre tracks left in the soft sections, it doesn't look like Darren's ride-on mower, but whatever it was, it wasn't a hand-pushed mower. There's quite a lot of the grass-clippings still on the runway too, but overall it's not bad.

These photographs were taken at about 1:00pm today (Saturday).

Who is this masked lawn Mower man, we must Thank Him alot.
Its Good to see the Field in better Shape.

Does It Look Promisding For Tommorow Steve M ?
As I can Open Up First Thing In The Morning If So.

Steve Smile

Yeh come on Steve, no half hearted reports can we fly at McCoy tomorrow or what?
Gazz
By the way, you guys missed an awsome day at Wisemans.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(12-11-2011, 05:24 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Yeh come on Steve, no half hearted reports can we fly at McCoy tomorrow or what?
Gazz
By the way, you guys missed an awsome day at Wisemans.

Sounds like you had a good time There, i would of gone but i had to back by lunch.
It was a great Day for Flying, i must admit i had a lot of fun combat flying with Frank and Jason,Some Speedster Glider Flying And Some ingenuity Retrieval work that would make Macqyver Proud.

Weather was A1 still Conditions, very Nice

Cm-on Steve M, Whats The verdict

Steve

Well, in a word - yes, you could fly aircraft with landing gear at McCoy tomorrow! If I had my Trojan airworthy, I'd be over there like a shot. After the shitty state the field was in only a couple of days ago, I'm surprised I'm actually saying this.

There are just a couple of caveats ...
1. There is one boggy patch on the runway which you wouldn't want to touch-down in as you'd probably lose your undercarriage, but with the runway being much wider now most pilots would probably choose an approach that brings them in on the northern side of this patch. The bit I'm talking about is the usual dip in the main runway east of where the pilot's box is (almost right in the middle of the first photograph above). Surprisingly, the runway is good all the way to the western end, where it's usually very wet.

2. Motorbikes have left some deep ruts, but they don't seem to be all over the runway as in the past - you'd have to be unlucky to hit one on take-off or landing.

3. The discarded grass clippings from the mystery mower are thick in some spots, which would cause lightweight planes with small wheels some discomfort. A couple of minutes raking them out of the way beforehand might be in order, but they won't cause a catastrophe on their own if they're left there.

If you go tomorrow men, then have a great time - I'd dearly like to be there, but have got family commitments. Really, really looking forward to next weekend though.

Steve Murray

Surely the mystery mower is Darren.

(12-11-2011, 08:58 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Surely the mystery mower is Darren.
Probably, I just didn't recognise the tyre tracks that were left behind.

Steve Murray

Darren mowed yesterday (Saturday)

? Field Condition of Mcoy Unknown, anyone driving nearby, as Today would have dried up a lot.
Other wise Its Area 51 This weekend

Steve

I'll go across and have a look in a couple of hours time Steve - stay tuned.

Steve Murray

McCoy - the short story is "forget it".

Just got back from a walk around - there are about five large pools in various places on the runway making it totally unusable for aircraft with undercarriage. If you've got lightweight foamys, you could probably land off the runway somewhere, but that would be about it.

Looks like Area 51 for this weekend.

Steve Murray

G'day All

Judging from the constant rain overnight here at toonie I would say mc coy is well and truly underwater.

Cheers
Rob b

Not a shadow of a doubt, I'd say. I'm working from home today, so I might go over there later on and get a photo or two, just for the sake of it.

Steve Murray

Well, Owen and I did go over there for a look - you don't want to see the photographs.

Steve Murray

Lake McCoy?

Yeh - makes Prospect Reservoir look like a bathtub Frown
For the first time in years, the pits area was actually under water ... and Willy says there's quite a lot more to come.

Steve Murray

Maybe our club could diversify http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1..._ARR_.html , fine weather is not forecast for a while yet

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Yes Wayne, either those or these ...
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1..._PNF_.html