Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

Sebart seems to have the answer for those times when the field is a little water logged

I think you'll enjoy this Gazz. I know I did

http://www.area51-distribution.com/sebar...82_482_492

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I wandered around the field filling in a few footprints here and there this afternoon. The runways are good to go for the weekend, no worries about that!

Steve Murray

This morning doesn't present a good outlook at all. Willy has been promising rain for a few days now and sure enough, it's arrived. I'll have a look at the field later on this afternoon though, and get back here with an update.

Steve Murray

Taken at about 4:30pm today.
Runways both carrying pools of water - even the cross-strip!
Probably good for helis though. Access to the field by vehicle would be alright, just as long as we don't have much more rain overnight. The contractors doing the earthworks near the entrance have again set the ropes to the sides so that driving in is possible.

Steve Murray

Hmmm.. why am I charging batteries?

If my son is well enough, I'll bring the floats Smile. I've been keen to try them out since the day at the pool.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Gday All

I will try to bring some weather back from Perth with me when I return tomorrow.
It's an absolute ripper of a day here.

Cheers
Rob B

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.

You are charging your batteries so you can enjoy the hobby you love, bloody hell, is everybody else as frustrated/annoyed as I am with this rediculous weather. (being politically correct there)
Dont think you will see me this weekend. (Sorry students, once again)
Tomorrow is definately out, I think I will stay in doors and have a build day.
The pics supplied buy Steve suggest tomorrow is out of the question and if I am flying at all this weekend, it will be at Penrith

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yes Gazz, we're all feeling the pain - but you're so much better at expressing it than we are Wink
What I love (...NOT) is the irony of it being good weather all week, then dumps a load on Friday to bugger it for the weekend - the timing is evil.
Might see you out at Emu Heights on Sunday ...

Steve Murray

Doubt that I'l even try this weekend again
I've got plenty to do here at home anyway.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(09-09-2011, 09:00 PM)gbanger Wrote:  You are charging your batteries so you can enjoy the hobby you love, bloody hell, is everybody else as frustrated/annoyed as I am with this rediculous weather. (being politically correct there)

Personally, I think you said it best a few weeks ago when you said:
(20-07-2011, 11:15 PM)gbanger Wrote:  You know ....if I got a chance .....I would punch mother nature right in the mouth....

And it's especially "nice" that it keeps deciding to bucket down right after the strip is mowed. Upset

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Look out you windows..... go on ....look!
Its 6.45 Saturday morning and not a single cloud in the frigin sky.
Now.... mother nature is rubbing our noses in it..... BITCH!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Popped down to the field again today - definitely an improvement on the (better than expected, but marginal) condition that greeted those of us who ventured there on Sunday.

No standing water. Cross strip is fully serviceable. Main strip continues to be slightly "spongy", with the usual handful isolated sections of "swampiness", but good enough to fly from (imho).

Hats off to Darren for the mowing job - if the weather holds out as forecast, this weekend should put it in the best condition I've seen for a while.

Just not sure I'll be able to make it down this weekend Mad

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Thanks for the update Claudio - I guess it's just a waiting game now. There shouldn't be any more rain, just a matter of drainage and evaporation.

You're doubtful about making it to the field this weekend? - that's a shame, as I was hoping to talk UAV stuff for a while.

Steve Murray

Just got home from work and stopped by the field for a walk around prior to the weekend.
The news is all good. The cross strip is sweet as, the main strip has 2 of the usual low spots that are just a little spongy but thats just nit picking, all in all the field is pretty bloody good. (For a change)
The warm weather and moisture thas the grass on the move but thanks to Darrens golden mower attack it is all but perfect.
See you tomorrow.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi chaps,

Dropped in to the field today to inspect the condition. I am pleased to report that there is no sitting water at all and that only a few places are squishy (as you'd expect). Driving in and out is not an issue.

The grass DEFINITELY needs to be cut. It hasn't been cut since Darren did it many weeks ago.

I would propose that the Parra Mowing Team volunteer their services 7-7.30am tomorrow morning unless Darren is available to cut tomorrow (??). I am happy to bring mower down early. All strips, taxi way, pit area and hover practice area needs to be mown. Two mowers would be the minimum. More would be excellent as we can then fly earlier.

What are the chances of it staying that way after this storm tonight? Frown.
If it's good tomorrow I might make it to Toonie but I haven't got the time tomorrow to get to Enigma if we're swamped out again.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

(07-10-2011, 07:01 PM)Drew Wrote:  What are the chances of it staying that way after this storm tonight? Frown.

Excellent! (I hope).

Hi Guys,
Since I have not been able to assist the Precision Mowing team of late and as I'm unavailable tomorrow, I decided to do some sneaky laps with the mower this evening after work.
I ended up getting 3/4 of the main strip done and all of the cross strip. The remaining portion of the main is too wet so I don't think you need to bother getting the mowers out if you don't want too. The pit, taxi and heli areas should be OK for another week.

As for the ground conditions, water wise, if we don't get a down pour later this evening it should be OK for use tomorrow, however your planes will get a little dirty and wet depending on your ability to pick a dry spot on the strip.

Anyhow have a good day tomorrow and I hope the weather is kind to us all. I intend to be down Sunday.

Cheers
Chris

Ok, so we just need someone with a key Smile .

Unfortunately, I can't open up this weekend or next Frown

Steve Murray

That will be Ingo. I believe he said he was flying this weekend. If he is not available I can drop by and open up for you guys.
I will not be flying this weekend ...... BATHURST IS ON.
Give me a ring if you need me to open up Dave. I am going to do the shopping first thing in the morning with the missus.
Then I am going home to drink beer and watch V8's

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't they race on Sunday? If you are drinking beer at 9am tomorrow, I will come borrow your key. What time can I do that?

They do race on Sunday Dave..... go straight to the top of the class.
I will not be drinking until the telecast starts at 12 before that I will be shopping with my lovely wife. You are welcome to drop by and pick up my key between 8 and 8.30.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Was planning to mow today however last night it poured here so that may squash my plannes

I have just walked in the door from checking out McCoy field, don't know if anybody flew there today, nobody asked me to open up. Both strips are dry the taxi way and pits are bone dry but both strips have a couple of areas that are very soggy.
It looks like Darren has been down in the last 24 hours and given the areas he could access a mow but it is still in pretty poor shape. Belly landing will be sweet but it is no place for large aircraft at the moment, I think small wheeled aircraft will also have problems.
With that said I will be flying at Penrith tomorrow. I want to maiden my hotliner, and get the DW up for another few flights.
So if any of you are flying at McCoy tommorow I hope you have a great day.
Its not to bad, its just not up to spec for the flying I want to do tomorrow.
The drive way is bone dry so access is not an issue.
Gazz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Plenty of us flew today. It was a good day. Gave the Trojan a few flights to get the hang of the grass. No problem (crap - I shouldn't have said that).

Just got back in from a walk around the field - as you'd expect, there are pools of water in all the usual places.
It was good to see that the new widened section of the runway was dry, but there's a large pool where the old cross-strip meets up.
Overall - I think Area 51 is a better bet for this weekend (for Saturday anyway, Willy says it's going to be bucketing down on Sunday).

Steve Murray

McCoy is no-go again this weekend for the majority of our planes.

There are pools of water on the runway, a biker has also paid us a visit (leaving evidence in the form of several deep tyre marks) and it needs mowing again anyway Frown

Steve Murray

(04-11-2011, 01:04 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  McCoy is no-go again this weekend for the majority of our planes.

There are pools of water on the runway, a biker has also paid us a visit (leaving evidence in the form of several deep tyre marks) and it needs mowing again anyway Frown

I must of just missed you Steve, i was down there about miday to have a look.

I Guess if we didn't have the oportunity of a another venue, you could make do, But like you said it would be find the dry Patch to use.

I was also Amazed by how much the grass has grown everywhere, looks like council mowed the driveway and went down but came back up as it was too wet.
LOL the grass is so high around runway, that you can land belly up or nose in and it would be a cushioned landing.

Pics if zoom in can see tracks and alot better detail. (old faithful Camera)

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile