Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

Looked on the weather channel. Sunny symbol for tomorrow but became rather depressed with the rain symbol showing every day for the next month Frown .

(04-08-2011, 07:59 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I have not seen the strip since I mowed it 3 weeks ago. The grass on the main strip has certainly enjoyed the deluge. It will be OK for the weekend, but as previously stated but ONLY JUST, it is still very soggy on the bottom or southern side of the runway and still needs another week of warm rain free weather to recover, but it is getting there.
It needs another mow sooner rather than later as the temperate weather and precipitation have got the green stuff in overdrive.

I meant to mention this in my last post. The grass is starting to be a bit untidy - we definitely didn't get our monies worth out of that last mow. Mad

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(04-08-2011, 08:17 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Looked on the weather channel. Sunny symbol for tomorrow but became rather depressed with the rain symbol showing every day for the next month Frown .

Next month doesn't worry me as long as the rain clouds are depleted by September 17 :-) my wedding day :-)

HAVE to get a flight in tomorrow though, can't wait :-)

Gday All

We had a pretty decent dump of rain early this morning at Toonie and it looks pretty shabby out there right now.
Likely the field has reverted back to semi swamp status?

Cheers
Rob B

... and it's been sprinkling on and off all day too, Rob Frown
I'm going to head over to the field to have a look at it in about an hour's time.

UPDATE: Just got back and of course, the news is bad. There are already pools of water on the main runway and I chose not to walk down the ramp and see what other problems there were. Helis would probably be alright but things with fixed wings and undercarriages won't find it comfortable.

Steve Murray

Weather predict
Cross strip usable
Track in will dry out soon
Jason and Colin are starters
A key wold be handy at some stage

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Sorry men, Its to nice a day not to go flying, and our field is unservicable again!! so I'm off to Penrith.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

G'day All

Walking home from toonie station today it looked like a lot of rain had fallen.
I suspect the field may be back to swamp status?

Cheers
Rob B

Sadly I think it will rain a little more before the w/end as well

Frown

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Saturday forecast on Weatherzone is for heavy rain and 30+km/h winds. Looks like another crappy weekend. Bring on spring & summer.

More of the same ...

Steve Murray

Hmm... I think the runway is in the wrong place Biggrin . Should be a bit to the right Wink .

Dave, what's a runway?? Isn't it just an elongated helipad?

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Yes Andrew, 1 - 0 to you there Wink

Has anyone had a look at the field lately? - the weather forecasts look much more positive for the rest of the week and the coming weekend, but it's probably doubtful that the main strip will be be firm. If nobody has been in for a look recently, then I'll get across there on Friday (can't visit before then) and check things over.

Steve Murray

I'd be thinking the grass would be needing a trim. PMT time?

Quite possibly Dave - in fact, more than likely.

I'll get over there on Friday and have a look around, then get back here if it's looking firm and dry enough to support a mow. Maybe some of us could give it a once-over on Friday afternoon, or early Saturday? (Although helis don't really require it, so it should be fixed-wing flyers doing the mowing if it's going to happen at all!).

Anyway, "I'll be back!" on Friday.

Steve Murray

Hi all,

I dropped by the field today. Several issues I'm afraid:

1. A motorbike has been in and left tyre marks through the main strip. Not really bad but...
2. There is no laying water on or near the runways. The main strip is squishy where you'd expect.
3. The grass does need cutting - badly.
4. The drive down the slope is dry and fine but...
5. Parra council has organised creek rehabilitation at the main gate. The contractor has barricaded everything off and has rubbish/material across the drive way. I don't expect we'd be driving in.
6. Cutting the grass on Saturday morning is difficult due to #5.
7. Walking in is the only option. If the grass doesn't get cut, it is hand launch only unless you have props to bury.

Thanks for the update Dave - even though the news isn't all good.

I'm going to head across there on foot tomorrow during the day and do some mowing anyway. Then, if the works are complete so that vehicle access is possible on the weekend, we should be right to go. Hopefully, the soft areas of the main runway will have better evaporation if the grass is cut short too. I'll do the main runway and the cross-strip, perhaps more if my iPod battery still has some grunt left.

I'll get back here afterwards so that everyone can plan their weekends with a bit more certainty.

Steve Murray

So your [electric] mower runs off your iPod? How cool is that !

Smile I wish, mate!

Steve Murray

Hi Guys,
Was intending on coming down to join the PMT straight after work at about 4-30pm if I can get away a little early. Mower is in the car at the ready.
What time were intending on going over to mow, Steve? Perhaps we can share the load.

I hope the council are also looking at the holes at the bottom of the ramp while they are working in the area.

Cheers
Chris M Frown Frown

Good of you to offer Chris - but I've just got back from the field after doing both strips. Samste-Steve turned up while I was there and offered to help too, but it was basically in the bag. The heli zone didn't really need a mowing and my enthusiasm vanished before I got to the taxiway and pits area. The cross-strip is now perfect, but the main strip was really still a little too soggy to mow properly, but I did it anyway - it meant that even with my petite and delicate frame, I have left some deep footprints in a couple of patches which I'll need to tamp/flatten down early tomorrow morning after the mud has had some more time to dry out. I'm surprised the ground is as good as it is frankly, I didn't expect it to be serviceable this weekend at all.
What I'd really like to do this afternoon, but I don't expect it's possible - is to get over there with a trailer full of sand to dump into the hollows on the main strip.
Anyway, we're good to go for tomorrow and if the weather forecasts are accurate it should be a great morning's flying!... just got to get some planes airworthy before then.

Steve Murray

Hi Steve,
Well done young man.

Is it worth my while to mow the taxi way & pit area this evening?

Unfortunately I don't have my trailer at the present time, my newphew has borrowed it, so I can not offer to assist with some sand/fill.

Have the council contractors blocked the vehicular access to the field for tomorrow's flying assuming the ground is dry enough for us to drive in?

Cheers
Chris M Smile Smile

No worries Chris - I wouldn't bother with the taxiway and the pits, give yourself the afternoon off! Charging batteries and doing aircraft maintenance jobs (with a beer or two) is a better way to use your time Smile

So, you do have a trailer then! - that's good news. Maybe we can pencil in a day to do that after yours is returned.

The ground is definitely dry enough to permit driving in, that's the first thing. When Steve and I were there earlier the council contractors had tied a rope across the entry-way, and from there across to the handrail on the top of the concrete channel (you can see it in a couple of Dave's photographs). If that's still in place tomorrow morning, then we won't be able to drive in - unless we temporarily take it down and then replace it as we leave. Walking in doesn't require getting past the rope, since it stops short of the second gate. Steve was going to ask the subbies about access tomorrow on his way out, as he left before I did - perhaps he's got a more informed story to tell.

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve M.
I will take your advice and go home to prepare for a good days flying tomorrow.

Hey Steve B,
Any insight on the vehicle access over the W/E?

Thanks again guys for mowing.

Chris M

(26-08-2011, 03:23 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Good of you to offer Chris - but I've just got back from the field after doing both strips.

Anyway, we're good to go for tomorrow and if the weather forecasts are accurate it should be a great morning's flying!...

Legendary. Thanks for taking this on again Steve!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

A big thanks for mowing the runways Steve. Very much appreciated.
Just hope we can get into the place. If its just a case of moving a safety rope it should be no biggie.
My DW is dying for a fly. (Yes I know it sounds strange but my aircraft actually do talk, you just have to listen REALLY hard).
If not then its off to Penrith again.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

No worries gentlemen - I can't say I didn't need the exercise Wink
I just need to smooth out some footprints tomorrow morning before we get things under way.

... and Gazz - a couple of things:
1. If your planes are talking to you, then I guess we've got to put it down to the stress of the instructor's course (it can't be your age, surely).
2. Do they have male or female voices?

Steve Murray

Guys,
As our secretary has approached Parra Council and asked about access to the field
and as so far the council have been unable to give us any answer I strongly suggest we
do not remove that rope barricade this weekend.
If any incidents were to happen over the weekend we could not only run foul of council
but also possibly jepordise our insurance cover.
Possibly even us flying there while access is restricted could present a problem however I know how much you all want to fly so urge that all safety conditions are closely monitored if you decide to walk in.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Looks like I'm off to Penrith again... see ya

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6