Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

The field still looked very nice this afternoon !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Was in the area, so I stopped to see how flooded the field is with all of today's rain.
These pictures tell the story.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

See you in the Summer boys! Paranoid

Looks like a fair bit of online Phoenix flying is about to happen. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Looks like a fair bit of online Phoenix flying is about to happen. Smile

floats on helli and floats on planes

Thanks John for the Footage update of the field.
I Thought it wwas Flooded with all that rain we had recently.

Looks like some Members May need to get some Hand launching Practice in, and maybe some hand launch planes and some stilts for the heli's

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(30-05-2011, 06:50 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  Looks like a fair bit of online Phoenix flying is about to happen. Smile
Hmm - yes mate, it looks like the best option at the moment. More rain is forecast for tomorrow too!
Penrith is always a possibility if things improve later in the week though.

Steve Murray

I'm Set!

Yikes!

Forecast to clear up from Wednesday - what are the chances for the weekend do you think? Does it take long to drain/dry when the rain stops?

Graham

Well Graham, if the soil is dry it recovers quickly - the run-off takes most of it and the rest soaks into the soil. Unfortunately, it got a good drenching about a month ago and only up until last weekend there was still a puddle of water in a crater at the bottom of the ramp. I'm thinking that the water table is up high and that the soil is still pretty much saturated so I'm not optimistic about this weekend at the moment.
Steve

Steve Murray

An idea... let's build depron electric boats. PRCBC? Secant0give should be able to whip something up for trials by Sat Smile .

(30-05-2011, 09:07 PM)Skidz Wrote:  An idea... let's build depron electric boats. PRCBC? Secant0give should be able to whip something up for trials by Sat Smile .

I actually have a foamy boat, It's not depron tho' It's epoxy glass skined EPS with an Old Piped K&B 40 in it. I might have to dust it off and see if I can remember how to start a glow engine. Smile perhaps it might be easier to convert to electric

Hey those are impressive Pics John

Kizza I note the optimistic inclusion of wheels just incase it dries out Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

G'day all

Toonie copped a massive amount of rain last night.
I think we are now in the territory of needing one of gazz's jet boats

Cheers
Rob b

Yep i reckon your Right the Field would be absolutely flooded not any grass to be seen, even were we park the cars.
It came down big last night.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Time to dust off those model boxes that you've been keeping aside for a rainy day...

Oh crap, I just sold all mine!!

Mine never get a chance to gather any dust, as soon as I buy em I build em.
With that said I think I will give my mate Dwaine (Dwaines Planes) a call. If I order it today I will have it for the weekend.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Driving through this morning so stopped for a squiz. I have photos but left the phone at work (D'oh). I will update the post tomorrow with photos.

Field is wet as expected. Main runway and cross strip has several lakes. The factory end of the cross strip is quite dry though actually and would be a perfect area for chairs and a heli-pad.

Prediction for Sat is that it should be ok to drive in/out but flying will be limited to those who can take off and land on 1/3 of a runway (the factory end of the cross strip). The main runway and the length of the cross strip looks like it's out of service for a while yet.

D.

Thanks for the update, Dave. I have been practicing loops/rolls in the Trex 600...Doing really well......On Phoenix anyway!!! Smile

Maybe I'll have to bring her down on Sat to test the skills. (Or I could just bring the laptop down & fly the sim.) Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Hmmm... somehow I double posted Confused

BB, if the weather stays fine (Friday is supposed to nice and sunny) then I am planning to fly Sat morning. The factory end of the cross strip has a large area of dry, low cut grass so would be perfect to share with the guys with smaller planes that don't need much rolling space. Saturday is definitely a go.

You can demo the loops etc on your 600 that you have been perfecting on the sim.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No worries Dave - if it's a glimmer of positive news, then we're happy to hear it twice!

Steve Murray

Did you see we have a new Nearmap shot from a few Saturday's back!? I even remember the Arvo:
http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-33.7785186,150.9545879&ll=-33.77857,150.954717&z=21&t=h&nmd=20110514

I can see my car!

Hey Kizza
Can't open that link mate.
I would like to see the pics though. Is there any other way of opening it.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(02-06-2011, 12:30 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  I can see my car!

Yeh, and that looks like Bob's blue tarp on the ground on the right-hand side too Smile
Taken, obviously, just after the council had mown that strip across the field.

Steve Murray

Glad you guys think it's going to be ok for the weekend. Looking forward to getting back down and getting some more practice in...

Graham

(02-06-2011, 07:11 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Hey Kizza
Can't open that link mate.
I would like to see the pics though. Is there any other way of opening it.

Just go to www.nearmap.com and drill down to our field.

You can sign up for a free personal account if it bugs you about it.

Hi guys,
Just be careful if you do go flying on the weekend.
The slope down from the top gets very slipery after a lot
of rain. You would not be the first to get stuck down there when
you try to get back up.
Also,we don't want the car area all cut up with our tyres otherwise
council will be on our case.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Good point, Paul. Thanks. I guess it will be safer to walk in first, & it's ok, then take the car.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Pictures from yesterday's field inspection is posted in #139. First image is the decent area of dry/firm grass at the factory end of the cross strip. The other is the lake that has formed at the intersection of the cross strip with the main runway.

Dave, I can see straight away what the problem is..IE9 and a PC Smile
(Written using Firefox on a Macbook Pro) Smile Wink

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro