Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMad

Nothing Else Too say

Steve

p.s Im willing too chip in extra plus my Services To Club for the Web Cam scenario we talked about ages ago

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(07-08-2010, 08:12 PM)chrism Wrote:  ... Then when I returned in the afternoon I found that more damage had been done to the strip and this time it had been done by a motorbike and a car. I believe the car must have gained access from the southern side of the basin or the sporting field (McCoy) as there were no tracks evident from where we enter. The damage done to both strips is now the worst I have ever seen it.

Hmm - we left the field at about 1:30pm after a lazy morning's flying and the bikers were already on the scene. They'd been over on the southern side for a while by that stage and were ripping up bucket-loads of mud there. I'd kind-of thought they'd satisfied themselves and that they'd have no need to work our side over as well. Didn't see a car though - would probably have had to be a 4WD to get across any part of the creek, as I doubt a sedan could negotiate it without getting bogged.

Steve Murray

I flew my heli today with the on board camera. When I reviewed the footage at home, the extent of the damage to the field was evident. (I may post the vid in the 'videos" forum) It was in a bad way.

Is there anything we can place on the strip at the end of flying to discourage the bikes/cars? Nails, glass, razor blades, claymore mines( oh that would make it worse.), Police tire puncturer thingys, etc etc

Any ideas that might actually work?? Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Howdy all you frustrated pilots (like me)
Droped in to the field this afternoon on the way home from work to see how the field was fairing after the weekend deluge.
The strip is still quite soggy under foot but with a few fine days (fingers crossed) it should be in pretty good condition. So lets hope the dreaded wet stuff takes a vacation so our strip gets a chance to recover.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Pictures speak for themselves

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

oh dear....................................................Frown

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Definitely gotta do something about itIcon_evilIcon_evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile

Icon_evil .. agreed .. Icon_evil illegal.

Rob
Belt CP 3D - CNC Head + Tail Leet
Various Co-Axial choppers micro to large Smile

Junior and I had a look at the strip at 5:00pm today - it has dried out nicely, except for the far western end. It's certainly usable except for the newly deposited donuts. The eastern end is in great condition - dry and with the grass already quite short, although the whole thing could probably do with mowing. The cross-strip is in good condition as usual.

Willy says it will be sunny with 9 km/h winds in the morning, dropping to 1 km/h in the late afternoon!

Steve Murray

Thanks for the field update Steve
Im sure I just like everybody else in the club is sick to death of this infernal weather.
I will be flying tomorrow from 8.30 (WEATHER PERMITTING)
See you all there
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hell yeah gaz I'll be down around 8:30 also with bells on , had a great day of building with dad today and finally finished my pc9 Smile maidening tomorrow so I want to copy your flap mix to help me slow her down.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Owen and I went over to the field this afternoon at 3:30pm - there is a lot of water on the ground, including pools of it up at the pits area. I can't see it disappearing before tomorrow morning Frown

Steve Murray

I've pretty much made my mind up that I won't be there
tomorrow.
It's raining again now and I think we will get more during the night.
Even with hand launching we still have to get back down onto the ground again
and everything will end up being a soggy mess. Frown

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Had a look this afternoon down at the field, a little wet under foot, but generally dry enough to walk on. (even in my fancy office work shoes)
Grass is awfully long though, took a photo with the phone.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Junior and I had a look at it this afternoon at about 4:00pm. The heavy and steady rain yesterday hasn't helped much, there's still a lot of water on the runway when you get up close - though it's not visible from a distance (as usual). Pits and carpark are alright though. Our thoughts were that if it doesn't rain before the weekend, then we'd be good to go with the usual drainage and evaporation taking place in the mean time.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Thanks for the update Steve, It would be nice to get some air time in this weekend.
I feel the Need, the Need for Speed Biggrin

Steve Smile

Won't be coming down this weekend, going Cherry picking @ Young.
Have been practicing though in my local park, still struggling to land perfect though. More practice i guess....

Have been however tinkering in the garage and building a F-18 out of foambard, some of the guys saw it last week. All the gear is now installed except for the battery, need to order a 2C 800ma Lipo.
Here's some pics.

Also as you can see from my Signature, i've ordered a HK 450 Heli...
Watching Gary with his beast got me excited and odered myself one when i got home. Wee bit smaller though.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Good for you Pete
No time like NOW to really jump in there and completely go west and get yourself a heli.
Good luck with it my friend.
One small piece of advice.............. little steps.............. dont try to leave the ground until you can slide it around on the ground with control.
That will keep the repair bills down.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(17-11-2010, 08:28 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  Won't be coming down this weekend, going Cherry picking @ Young.
Have been practicing though in my local park, still struggling to land perfect though. More practice i guess....

Have been however tinkering in the garage and building a F-18 out of foambard, some of the guys saw it last week. All the gear is now installed except for the battery, need to order a 2C 800ma Lipo.
Here's some pics.

Also as you can see from my Signature, i've ordered a HK 450 Heli...
Watching Gary with his beast got me excited and odered myself one when i got home. Wee bit smaller though.

Very Nice F18 Pete, The Build job Looks Good.
If You don't get your 2s lipo 800ma in Time for maiden i have some to use as well as 3s 800ma if the motor will cope.

Cherry Picking, Thats something Different, i end up eating all my pickings then they would have to wheel barrow me out.

Steve Smile

Nice airframe Pete, if you ask me it needs about 8 times more power though Wink

The plane is lighter than it looks, haven't weighed it though, dont have a scale small enough.
The motor is a 3000kv i picked up from one of my random orders from HK.
This is the link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=5453

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Heh, you don't know me yet, I like to over do things 'slightly'

Did anyone get down to the field to look it over today? I wanted to but had to go over to Westmead instead, by the time we got back it was getting dark.

Steve Murray

Checked out the field this afternoon at about 5:30pm. "Birthday Boy" had been there with the mower since yesterday and has done an excellent job, even though the ground is still really very wet. There were large pools of water on both runways. Don't know about tomorrow guys - looks a bit dicey: You could probably take off from both the main strip and the cross-strip if you chose your starting roll in the right place, but landing would be tricky as dodging the pools of water on touch-down is not as easy. If we get some helpful drainage and evaporation we might be right for Sunday though.

Steve Murray

Just got back from checking the field out - Chrism is over there mowing the cross-strip by himself! "Buy that man a beer!".
As Chris mentioned in another thread yesterday, the main strip has pools of water on it which make it unusable at the moment, although the cross-strip is pretty good. We should be right to go for a bit of flying tomorrow ... as long as we don't get a deluge overnight.

Steve Murray

Sorry chaps, but if I were you I wouldn't bother putting any batteries on charge tonight!
Just got back from walking around the field and there's too much water about - several large pools on the main strip and even the cross-strip wouldn't be easy to use. Taking off would probably be a challenge, but landing would be a real lottery - if you've got VTOL capabilities, then you're fine but otherwise wait for the weekend.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

I was hoping for a fly on Thursday after a fine day today and hopefully a reasonably fine day tomorrow. It looks like the chances will be slim.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Was down the field this arvo, I just had to try my fiberglassed Floater Jet with 2.45Amp 3s battery with 40amp ESC. Around 3 o'clock wind was picking up so only got one flight before I decided it was time to head in.
Looking at B.O.M weatherwatch radar looks like a storm is just about to hit.... BUGGER... hope weekend is O.K. :-)

My son and I went down to the field today to try the modifications to the PC9. THe field looked good. There's maybe a couple of soft bits but barring big rain, it should be great for the weekend.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Dad and I just went down to visit the field. It was extremely wet and there were pools of water covering the main strip from end to end and the cross-strip. No flying for days.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Super-Chipmunk
Pitts Special
Parkzone Habu