Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

I have a float plane, It's never flown from water Could be a good time to test it out Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I have a flex day again tomorrow & was considering another mow of the strip, but I believe the strip was underwater again today after 10mm of rain since yesterday arvo. So will be a no-go-no-mow for me tomorrow.
The weather gods have been fairly unkind to us of recent & I believe another soggy weekend will be presented to us again this weekend. Hope all those rain dancers break their legs.

well i guess its another weekend of no flying for me again!!!! third weekend back in the country no flying, how frustrating. maybe next weekend?

Foam fanatic!

Has anyone visited the field for a report on condition for flying tomorrow?

Probably no need for a field inspection.
Fair to assume it would be flooded again.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

What are the chances of getting some wings in the air tomorrow?

Foam fanatic!

(06-09-2014, 07:20 PM)TopGun Wrote:  What are the chances of getting some wings in the air tomorrow?

Pretty much Buckleys, if you're thinking about McCoy. You might get away with small foamy belly-landers but if you've got something substantial with an undercarriage then I'd consider visiting Vineyard instead.

Steve Murray

Just visited the field, strip too soggy to mow and with warm weather & heaps of rain, grass & weeds growing well. I imagine will only be suitable for large wheeled planes or belly landers on the weekend & that will be if no more rain. Best to just bring your wellies & energy for bushcare on Saturday.

Just visited the field & with just 6mm of rain here (2km SE of field), there was significant amounts of surface water on over 50% of the strip. runway shortened by 30m both ends because of pooling. Previously filled tyre tracks across strip opposite pilot box have either subsided or washed away & pooled. Am going to get another trailer load of soil early tomorrow & fill pooling in this area.

(26-09-2014, 10:54 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Just visited the field & with just 6mm of rain here (2km SE of field), there was significant amounts of surface water on over 50% of the strip. runway shortened by 30m both ends because of pooling. Previously filled tyre tracks across strip opposite pilot box have either subsided or washed away & pooled. Am going to get another trailer load of soil early tomorrow & fill pooling in this area.

Thanks for the Update Wayne, unfortunately got to work Tommorow but Sunday may be promising, if we have no More Rain til Then.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I have not had opportunity to visit the field since the huge downpour that registered 90mm in my rain gauge. I spoke to somebody that was walking his dog on the other side of the reeds and he stated there was a debris line a fair way up the raised levee beside the houses. I imagine our side suffered a similar fate and am hoping the fill I laid in the hollow a couple of weeks ago has not suffered too much. A likely futile hope but I am hoping somebody has visited the field today to give an update.

I might have a chance to drop by the field tomorrow morning early

The current forcast is 5% chanch of 1-5mm today (Thursday) and 35% chance of 1-5 tomorrow and 0% chance of rain for Satterday.

I think the field should be quite usable for the weekend and the ground should be soft for planting on the embankments.

See you Satterday for for bushcare 8am 'till 11am bring something to fly as well !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Pete and I visited the field today. It's in surprisingly good condition!

Flying Fisho's soil has held its ground...

A bit of water on the Grace end of the strip, but it's avoidable

I think flying will be just fine this weekend.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Thanks for the report Simon, am ooooooohhhhh so pleased that the soil remained.
Bushcare is another important benefit to field condition so an early night, take your vitamins, no hangovers, bring your energy and help keep pest vegetation under control & help introduce beneficial plants. We all benefit eventually by bushcare days.

Presumably we should bring gloves, shovels, mattocks and associated items again ?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Am at the field mowing if anyone would like to keep me company

I'll probably come down at about 12.30-ish

Update: Bugger, sorry Wayne, just got smashed with an urgent deadline. Have fun down there anyway!

I might be able to get down there for a little while this afternoon if things go right

Dropped by the field this arvo with the kids so Santa could wrap presents. It looks like the idiot trail bike riders have been at it again.

Not a good arvo for flying anyway... Too windy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wonder whether the perpetrator really understands that what they're doing is antisocial. Granted, it seems kinda obvious, but maybe a few polite signs near the runways might help, if the council will let us: "Please do not drive on the landing strips - they are maintained by volunteers who invest lots of time and energy!", or words to that effect?

Failing that, perhaps PCC might let us install one of these (fast forward to 3:15 for a particularly pertinent application of this fascinating technology)... Wink

With a little work we could probably get it to aim one of those tennis ball launchers, one that can simulate a really hot serve.

Would make the mowing a lot more interesting !!

The strips are closely mowed and firm to land on. We were considering mowing on the normal Thursday, but we have a forecast of rain Wednesday & Thursday and as the grass was almost knee high (a slight exaggeration) already, we got in ahead of potential rain. It is ready for a Wednesday fly though. Reed end cross strip is still a little soggy to land on but now that it is closely mowed, it may well be dried up by tomorrow.

Went to the field yesterday & the strip was quite soggy in parts as well as the usual pooling. Paspalum everywhere will make mowing before the weekend virtually impossible to avoid if flying is to be even remotely possible. We had some light rain last night which would have added to this condition, but no rain today may have a counteractive effect. I am having my car serviced tomorrow morning & if field condition allows it, I hope to mow in the arvo. There are showers forecast late tomorrow morning/early arvo so that may also be in the lap of the rain gods. Will further report tomorrow morning if possible.

The field has certainly dried up. Am ready to pack the mower into the car and head to the field for a mow. All willing participants welcome.

Strip closely mowed today & firm except for side closest to reeds. So hone up your flying skills as on the weekend as you will have reduced width & length of the runway. This photo shows how much the strip grew in 7 days. The triangle of longer grass in the foreground was yet to be mowed.

Just goes to show how rain & warm weather affects growth rate.

Wow that looks super nice !!

Well done !!

Many thanks to PeterH & RussellH for their mowing efforts yesterday, much appreciated. A little bit of a sprinkle of rain this afternoon but we have a closely mowed field for the weekend's flying.
On a more sour note, it appears contractors have defied any type of logic or consideration for our efforts to maintain our strip and driven their heavy vehicle onto the strip at the ramp end & left some nasty furrows which will require repair AGAIN.

Maybe we can ask council to advise these contractors not to drive on the obviously mown runways. I can understand that not everyone is aware of our use of the field or see our signs, but I assume these contractors are hired or employed by council and could be briefed.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Yes we have an on going dialogue with council about this and other matters,
It may also be the electricity guys who have nothing to do with council and have their own keys to access McCoy basin and obviously have no idea about Us either.

Please if anyone sees these guys could you please politely ask for some contact details and pass them on to the committee.