Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

As the Flying Fisho has indicated in another thread, the runway is a mess at the moment. The carpark and ramp are fine, but the strip is a big disappointment - a sh!thole, really Frown The soil seems to be sinking again, as it was doing a couple of years back when we had an extended run of bad weather. The depressions in the runway are growing larger and I don't think it's erosion ... but I might be wrong - either way, it's looking sad.

Still, there's a bright side to everything and at least the egg-beater boys will have plenty of space Smile

Steve Murray

Courtesy Of Jason, This Afternoon Photo Of Field after Storm Came Through,

Sorry But The Field Is Un useable for Tommorow Guys.

Tomorrow's Willows Cup event is also cancelled and Resheduled for 25th of May.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

How's this for an idea - a pannable/tiltable 3g webcam sitting on a pylon somewhere overlooking the runway - maybe up near the field box - so that we can check out the conditions remotely without some poor bugger having to go to the field to eyeball it... What do you guys think?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

its been talked about many times but as yet no one has come forward with a practical cost effective device. Hopefully some body will see it as an interesting challenge and take on the task.

Getting power is the tricky part - there's plenty of 3g webcams around but it would probably require hooking up a solar panel of some sort which charges a battery which... increases complexity. And it'd need to sit on a post so that nobody stuffs with it. The commercial ones are very very expensive, you're right...

I can see why there's not been a decent proposal so far. Will keep looking though...

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Here's what you need...

3g iP Surveillance Security Camera

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

I went over to lake McCoy this morning to see how it fared. Its a bit dampish underfoot.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Here are some video frames from today

Took a wander to the field about 2ish this afternoon. Whilst no surface water except at McCoy pond (yet to be filled) there was definitely no firmness underfoot and heavy landings with a plane of over 1kg might need some undercarriage repairs. Thanks to the efforts of Peter H & Irishwolf, the strip looks great although much reduced in landing length. There are shallow wheel ruts up & down the strip which have me a little puzzled, looked similar to the tracks I left when I last mowed but wern't in pairs or paralel. May have been bikes but no deep donuts that the imbeciles normally leave.
I presume Russ's ride-on was responsible for the trimming of our driveway, well done.
It has just started showering here at Wenty and Willy's rain radar has pretty yet ugly colours heading east from Penrith. I would suggest planes with floats or hovercraft controlled by pilots with waders will be the go for tomorrow.

Yep Wayne, Thought someone once told me that there was a Club Sign at the top of the drive-in, so thought I might try to find it while Pete did all the work.

(04-04-2014, 03:27 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Took a wander to the field about 2ish this afternoon. Whilst no surface water except at McCoy pond (yet to be filled) there was definitely no firmness underfoot and heavy landings with a plane of over 1kg might need some undercarriage repairs. Thanks to the efforts of Peter H & Irishwolf, the strip looks great although much reduced in landing length. There are shallow wheel ruts up & down the strip which have me a little puzzled, looked similar to the tracks I left when I last mowed but wern't in pairs or paralel. May have been bikes but no deep donuts that the imbeciles normally leave.
I presume Russ's ride-on was responsible for the trimming of our driveway, well done.
It has just started showering here at Wenty and Willy's rain radar has pretty yet ugly colours heading east from Penrith. I would suggest planes with floats or hovercraft controlled by pilots with waders will be the go for tomorrow.

Am at the field and as suspected the entire strip has surface water. Bottom of driveway ramp pooled. Save your fuel & give today a miss.

Thanks Wayne. You saved us all a lot of hassle and mucking about, as sad as the condition of the field is. Thanks for dedicating your time to checking the field.

Yes thanks for the advice Wayne It`s always a great help !!

I live within a few minutes drive of the field & I like to provide this service. We are a social club that consists largely of members who go the extra yard for the benefit of all.

Went to the field about 9.45 this morning for a look. It certainly was damp but the roadway in was fine to drive on.

After an argument at home with a flyscreen door swinging shut on my Mustang which broke one wing side in half I had a repair job to do. Decided to see if it would still fly but on launch I presumed it would fly well. I should have had a mind set that I was maidening it as it didn't fly well. My brain took a second to to adjust to the new crisis which was too long at about 5 feet off the ground - broken nose and prop. Lesson in that for me for the future, after a repair consider the first flight to be a maiden so that I'm ready for anything.

IrishWolf and Greg came along for a while. I maidened a high wing balsa HobbyKing plane for IrishWolf then landed and did some adjustments before a pleasant second flight. Big oversize wheels made take-off and landing easy on a somewhat smaller strip than usual. Calm conditions existed which is what this plane needed and had today.

Got in a flight on my TB-20 which flew great and landed properly on the damp surface. This will probably be my last flight at McCoy as my move to Maitland is on next week.

Looks like good weather tomorrow so if there is no more rain before then I reckon those needing a "flying fix" should see a useable field.

I will miss all the friendly souls of PRCAC. It has been a great few years. COMSOA club in Maitland will see me early next month when unpacking is over. If anyone is ever up that way I would love to see you.

Best wishes to everyone.

All the best John I will catch up with you at the next maitland fly in day I think in may till then take care

Am sorry your last fly at McCoy was such a damp one. Hope you had plenty of cleaning rags, that strip was more than damp.
Indeed your electronics knowledge, flight wisdom and your assistance with newbies (including myself) will be sorely missed.
All the very best with the move & settling in at your new abode. I hope COMSOA give you a deserved welcome and recognise and appreciate your experience. Hopefully you will have less washed out days up there too.
Cheers.

Thank you for Today and all your time John, Have just ordered a TB-20 ARF Kit but have upgraded all electronics for assembly. Would like to know what you recommend or run in yours as well!!

(05-04-2014, 06:19 PM)stillflyin Wrote:  Went to the field about 9.45 this morning for a look. It certainly was damp but the roadway in was fine to drive on.

After an argument at home with a flyscreen door swinging shut on my Mustang which broke one wing side in half I had a repair job to do. Decided to see if it would still fly but on launch I presumed it would fly well. I should have had a mind set that I was maidening it as it didn't fly well. My brain took a second to to adjust to the new crisis which was too long at about 5 feet off the ground - broken nose and prop. Lesson in that for me for the future, after a repair consider the first flight to be a maiden so that I'm ready for anything.

IrishWolf and Greg came along for a while. I maidened a high wing balsa HobbyKing plane for IrishWolf then landed and did some adjustments before a pleasant second flight. Big oversize wheels made take-off and landing easy on a somewhat smaller strip than usual. Calm conditions existed which is what this plane needed and had today.

Got in a flight on my TB-20 which flew great and landed properly on the damp surface. This will probably be my last flight at McCoy as my move to Maitland is on next week.

Looks like good weather tomorrow so if there is no more rain before then I reckon those needing a "flying fix" should see a useable field.

I will miss all the friendly souls of PRCAC. It has been a great few years. COMSOA club in Maitland will see me early next month when unpacking is over. If anyone is ever up that way I would love to see you.

Best wishes to everyone.

(05-04-2014, 06:19 PM)stillflyin Wrote:  I will miss all the friendly souls of PRCAC. It has been a great few years. COMSOA club in Maitland will see me early next month when unpacking is over. If anyone is ever up that way I would love to see you.

Best wishes to everyone.

All the best John. I look forward to catching up with you some time in the future. Thanks for my Bronze Wings Smile

Regards,
Andre

Hi John
Sorry to hear that you are departing the club and area.
Even though I have not been to the field at all during the last few months I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for all your selfless mentoring during the last few years, for you great patience and for your
great sense of humour with the less gifted members of the club.

Hope the future is a great one for you and your family in Maitland.

Regards

Victor

Smile

Hi John,
Sorry to hear your leaving, All the best with move and I hope things all fall into place nicely.
You will really enjoy COMSOA. I know a couple of the members of that club and they are a great bunch of guys!! The field there is very nice too, not sure what you'll do with all that space tho. But I know it wouldn't take me long to get used too. Smile

All the very best John and I'm sure I'll see you at the field at Maitland some time and please drop by for a chat and a fly any time your back down this way.

Jason

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(05-04-2014, 06:19 PM)stillflyin Wrote:  I will miss all the friendly souls of PRCAC. It has been a great few years. COMSOA club in Maitland will see me early next month when unpacking is over.

All the best John. Sorry to see you go, but you're moving to an excellent field! Was there only yesterday... with lots of flying both before and immediately after a downpour!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Well you will be missed at Prcac John.
All the members who have posted have taken all the words
Out of my mouth, just goes to show how a close great club and members we have and it's sad to see one leave.
I wish you all the very best with the move and the future.

Steve Frown

Thankyou everyone for your good wishes and comments.

Answering Russell about the TB-20 - My TB-20 has a L2210-1300 in it which HobbyKing don't have anymore. The disadvantage of that motor is that it needs the props with the hex cut slot in the back to fit on the nut. The only replacements that HobbyKing have are too flimsy and cavitate when in the air on full power making quite a noise. They have an L2210-1400 which would worsen this. The prop I use is an 8X6. Heavier props, fitted using washers and really tightening, overheat the motor. My recommendation would be a motor of 200W on 3S swinging an 8X6 sport prop. I have a 30A speedie in mine. The original motor was 150W rating which was a bit underpowered.

Back to the packing. Rather be flying!!!!

Hi John. Where do I begin. To thank you for all the help, you have been to me over the last extended period, humour put up with all my crazy flying and help me out awful lot ,as well is all the crazy electronic questions I’ve asked you. so in conclusion, I want to wish you all the best in the future and I hope that you enjoy your new club as much as you have been enjoying Parramatta.

Kind regards, Bob.

Happy travellings John, may the skies be clear of buckshot and your final approaches avoid the cow pats.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Adding my thanks to you also John, your patient time with us newbies has been very much appreciated. Your knowledge of the ins and outs of RC Flying will be missed as well as your kindness.
Happy flying.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Thank you everyone. Your comments are much appreciated.

Am at the field & news is not good. 100% of field has surface water again. Any amount of rain will make it unflyable again tomorrow