Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

Here here !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi all,
I ventured down to the field today at lunch time to see what sort of condition it was in and I have to say that it has weathered the storm quite well.

Yes, there is still a number of patches that still have pools and the ground is saturated but I will say that it will be flyable by Saturday given the forecast for the next few days. However whether we can drive the cars in might be a different matter as there isn't enough heat during the day to dry out the subsoil.
Lets wait and see, I have another look on Friday.

Chris M

Hi guys apart from the dry gym at Kellyville Wednseday night, 10 days straight rain have made the thumbs itchy and am eager for a fly this weekend. Has anybody had a chance to took at the field since ChrisM's post? Am hoping 5 dry days has firmed the strip sufficiently for wheeled takeoffs & landings.

(05-07-2013, 09:04 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Hi guys apart from the dry gym at Kellyville Wednseday night, 10 days straight rain have made the thumbs itchy and am eager for a fly this weekend. Has anybody had a chance to took at the field since ChrisM's post? Am hoping 5 dry days has firmed the strip sufficiently for wheeled takeoffs & landings.

Sorry Wayne, I didn't make it down to the field today but I'm pretty sure it will be OK for flying, I just wasn't sure about driving in based on the condition it was in on Wednesday.

Hi All,
I had a lunch time fly yesterday (Thursday) the strip is still soft and mostly dry, the parking area is OK to use and the ramp isn't slippery. This all indicates for a good days (or weekend for the lucky ones) flying

Oh, I forgot to mention the weather forecast, no rain & next to no wind.

I hope to get a fly at McCoy tomorrow afternoon after big plane flying in the morning.

Cheers
Chris M Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

I should be there, just see how this next long neck settles with me.
I got my new 1.5m trainer to fly. I really need an instructor as it's been a while. Also got my E-Flite SeaFury :-)

They say Dinosaurs only had brains the size of a peanut. At least they had more brains than the mindless idiots that chose our runway again to practice donuts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Was that there when we were flying today Wayne ?
I must say didn't notice it

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Taken while I was setting up the field for flying today. At the Grace end of the strip. I suppose we can thank our lucky stars the they didn't choose centre strip to perform their act of vandalism. I know there is a sign that says no motorbikes, but these guys are Neanderthals and cant read. I just hope they can get somebody to read their penalty notice if they get caught,

I was working on a plane around at Darren's place late
this afternoon and I heard what seemed to be a motor bike
in the distance.
Hope they did not return after you guys finished today.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

looks like quad bike tracks

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Hi Guys,
I saw this Friday evening when I was mowing, it seemed as though the peanut was playing in the muddy patch at the western end of the main strip. As Wayne said thankfully he didn't cut up the center section & left the dry side of the main alone.

Chris M

The council has mowed thru the week which mean't that the strip was not clearly visible so I mowed the main strip & eastern approach. I have to say that it's looking good.
However I feel that we need to take the opportunity while the reeds are browning off to trim them back in selected areas. There are some green shoots already appearing.

That's a great idea Chris.
Time for an all in working bee, I cant help but I can carry the drinks.(with one hand)

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Took a walk down to the field today to see the result of recent rain. Small puddle at first entry gate, driveway in was firm & able to withstand drive in without sliding. Parking area firm underfoot. The usual pool oposite the pilot box and at the Grace end of the strip. Strip will be narrowed for use in most of the western end, but the rest of the strip is quite usable. Some pic below.

Was down at the field this evening and the puddles shown in Wayne's previous post have gone, although the ground is a little soft. The strip is ready for Saturday flyers.

Thanks Chris - champion work, mate Thumbup

Steve Murray

Litter is always a bit of a problem for us and not just carried in rubbish from floods or late night party animals at our field. I had a spare plastic drum at home & have taken it for permanent placement at the field. It is currently in the pilot box to save it being stolen or washed away in heavy flooding rain. I also bought some garbage bags to be placed inside the drum but accidently left them in my car. I will put them inside the drum for ongoing use when I am next at the field and am I happy to replentish them as they deplete. The bin's placement in a central location like yesterday should be considered an essential part of the field setup as important as the pilot box fencing, cones & windsock.
I will also leave a couple of pickip tools to save bending to pick up the stray cigarette butts, discarded repair offcuts, broken props etc that often seem to litter the place. Dropping said items in the bin in the first place or doing a quick cleanup at the end of the day's flying will give us a better presentation for visitors and add a bit more pride in our field.
I am happy to dispose of the filled garbage bag at the end of the day and hopefully the last to leave on the day can can also do the honours should I not be available or simply take turns. Alternatively if only a small bit of rubbish is in it, the drum has a tight lid to contain the rubbish should a part filled drum be left in the field box

Good Stuff Wayne, You always going the extra bit to help the club and anyone that needs it.

Thankyou so much, its appreaciated by all of us

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Brilliant Wayne !!
That's a top idea!!
Nice one

Confused

Confused

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Looks awesome!!! And Hooray MEMBERSHIP Paid and only awaiting the Transfer by the Banks to move the money!!

Hey guys . Just a very quick warning to the smokers be very careful how you dispose of your butts, the grass is so dry. It would not take much to set fire to it. So, please be very careful.

Kind regards, Bob.

Hi Guys,
I went down to the field this afternoon after work to do some gardening only to find that someone has dumped a pile of rubbish at the first gate.
It is a significant amount but I was able to drive around it given that I have a soft roader but anyone with a standard road car or any vehicle with low ground clearance may not be able to do as I did.

Perhaps the committee may need to contact the council or the bushcare contact.

Chris M

Thanks for the update Chris. The front gate is part of Blacktown council. I will give them a call today and see what can happen.

The dumping of rubbish at our front gate is starting to become a regular event, and I believe we have a catch 22 situation.
If we get it cleared on a regular basis by council, it will encourage more dumpers wanting a free rubbish dumping site. We end up with regular restricted access.
If it is not regularly cleared we end up with prolonged restricted access.
If we continuously complain to council about dumped rubbish, we may end up considered serial complainers & have council off side. Depending on the council recipient of complaints & their attitude to complainers we could suffer their ire. Alternatively it may be more cost effective for them to monitor via CCT and prosecute dumpers.
I have also observed that some of the rubbish is entering the waterway from there & that issue may be worth mentioning to the waterway conservationists.

Hi guys. I this morning on the way back from black town called into the field at a quick look at the rubbish and I think we have to move it to one side so the vehicles can get in. Maybe we can have a quick working be on Friday??, Because that is providing on there being no asbestos in the rubbish???, I will be available all day Friday. The rubbish was dumped directly in front of the gate don't know if that was an accident or intentional and look like a fall truck load of rubbish was tipped.

Kind regards, Bob.

[/i]The dumping has been reported to Blacktown council and the lass on the counter has logged a request for the appropiate department to remove the rubbish. A request has also been made to record the site as a repeated dumping site which hopefully will result in a sign and more attention from the council. Not sure when the council will remove the rubish though,

Thank you Kev. Great work again by the Prcac secretary

Just letting everyone know that the council has removed the rubbish from the front gate and the field is accessable again.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!