Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

That is a legondary effort Steve well done !!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Steve,
Aren't we having our usual rendezvous Friday afternoon/evening?
I have taken receipt of Ron's purpose built machine and was hoping to give it a work out, but you seem to have beaten me to it.
I will still venture down to the field around 6pm and do a few laps just the same.

Chris M SmileSmileSmile

Sorry mate - I was out to avoid working in today's temperatures, so I opted to get it done yesterday.
Just left the field now, and it was very warm - maybe we can give Ron's machine a run on Saturday?

Steve Murray

Big thanks for the effort as usual Steve. Does anything else need the once over? If the weather is kind I'm happy to come down at the preverbial sparrows fart tomorrow morning early if it needs it.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

No worries Gazz - leave the mowing machine at home tomorrow and bring flying machines instead! The runway is in pretty good nick at the moment and the stuff off the runway is still muddy ... or it was before this record-breaking afternoon got under way.

Steve Murray

I went for a long walk today, and it included McCoy, to check things over. Looks like the slasher has been back since I was there last - he's had a chop at the cross-strip.

The paspalum is predictably muscling up again, but the rest of the turf is still nice and low. The runway is firm and dry and as long as we don't get a deluge in the next couple of days, then everything will be alright for the weekend. A mowing session on Friday will have it in sh!t-hot shape for our Oz Day event.

Steve Murray

Not sure but I think you will find the slasher who worked on the cross strip was ChrisM with help from Peter4x4. They were using Ron's large mower on Saturday - which really does an effortless job on longer grass - but the bullrushes is too much.

(22-01-2013, 06:57 PM)smuzz Wrote:  I went for a long walk today, and it included McCoy, to check things over. Looks like the slasher has been back since I was there last - he's had a chop at the cross-strip.

Hi Steve,
It was Pete & me using Ron's machine.

I got an early start on Saturday morning cleaning up the southern side of the strip and when things were quiet through the morning (flying wise) Peter & I had a go at the cross strip plus a path into the reeds at western end.

I was intending on joining you with the new m/c when you mow next.
You'll be impressed, it does a nice cut and at twice the width you get thru it quite quickly, plus it shoots the clippings out the side so there no need to stop to empty a catcher.

See you Friday?

Cheers
Chris M Smile Smile Smile

PS.
Went down to the field this arvo. Thanks Pete, I see that some more of the reeds have been cut down to size ready for a final hair cut.

That's great Chris - Ron's machine does seem to leave an impressive trail behind it, I really thought it was the work of a tractor-towed slasher!
Yes, sure thing - let's rendezvous on Friday then. Is there a need to bring my mower or will Ron's do the runway nice and low as well?

Steve Murray

(22-01-2013, 09:28 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Yes, sure thing - let's rendezvous on Friday then. Is there a need to bring my mower or will Ron's do the runway nice and low as well?

Bring it along just in case, but I'm confident that it can stay in the car.

I intend on mowing this afternoon at around 5pm.

OK mate - I'll see you there!

Steve Murray

Thanks for the effort men, it is very much appreciated.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(25-01-2013, 05:30 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Thanks for the effort men, it is very much appreciated.

Yes, thanks heaps guys, thanks for your time and effort to keep the field in top condition.

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

It's done - Chris used Ronnie Sharp's big "Chaff Chopper" and even though we started at the same time, he did three-quarters of the strip and I did one with my mower! That machine has got the gonads, and no mistake.

Everything is in perfect condition for tomorrow. According to Willy, things will probably deteriorate in the afternoon, but our morning plans should be fine.

Steve Murray

You guys are AWSOME !!

Well done !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Guys,
The rain which we had last night has certainly affected the condition of the field - there is debris all over the place. The water level, as indicated by the debris, got up to the bush where the cars are parked in the pit area. The heli-hovering area is so slushy and the main strip is totally water logged.
It's going to take several days to dry out, thankfully though it should evaporate reasonably quickly given that the grass has been kept short.

Chris M Frown Frown Frown

Sad news Chris & with more rain on the way looks like our weekend fly is in doubt.

(29-01-2013, 06:37 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  ... with more rain on the way looks like our weekend fly is in doubt.
I don't think the forecast is ominous at the moment - Willy isn't betting heavily on a lot of rain before Saturday.

Update: Willy has changed his mind Frown ... and so must I. Things are not looking good for Friday and Saturday at the moment.

Steve Murray

As there maybe a light shower or two tomorrow evening and I will be on my way to Temora Aviation Museum anyway, I intend on mowing a portion of the strip this evening.
The amount I mow will be based on how dry the ground is and how much time I have available. I had a look at the field last night and it looked quite promising for the weekends flying.

Cheers
Chris M

Good stuff Chris - thanks for that.
I'm in a bit of a fix regarding tomorrow too, but if the weather holds and I can make it there I'll try and complete what you start today. An update on my earlier post: Willy and Weatherzone are saying things I don't want to hear about rain for tomorrow and Saturday, but I guess we'll play it by ear. It would be advisable for us to do what we can with a mowing session anyway, to prevent things getting away on us there (as you've pointed out before).

Have a great time a Temora ... and don't forget to upload some happy-snaps of our favourite subjects!

Steve Murray

The strip is ready to go for those flying Saturday, I mowed as much as I could given the wet conditions. The only area which I neglected was the heli hovering area, but to be honest it's not too bad as it is - it just needs to be cleared of the debris which washed up with the storms.

Have a good W/E guys and I might see you on Sunday.

Chris M Smile Smile Smile

PS. Steve your services are not required this week - you deserve a break given the stella effort you have been putting in.

Cheers Chris Smile
Have a great time at Temora!

Steve Murray

I have just arrived home from work and it did not stop absolutely bucketing down all the way home. The field will be a no go for this weekend.
Might try and get a fly in out west on Sunday.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Went for a walk at about 2:00pm today - of course, it's completely unserviceable now, but with warmer dry weather during the week predicted, we might be good to go for next weekend. Early days, but I'm not as pessimistic as I was on Friday!

Steve Murray

"Driver of the de-railed gravy train"... Wink. Capisco quello che dici.

(03-02-2013, 09:24 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Capisco quello che dici.

Yes mate Smile

This week presents a bit of a problem in that I'm not sure that I can get to the field on Friday to give it the haircut that it's going to need. I've got the last day of a conference during most of the day, and then the MASNSW meeting in the evening so my itinerary looks cramped. I might be able to slip away from the conference early, but I'm probably not going to know for sure until Thursday.

Steve Murray

(03-02-2013, 09:24 PM)Skidz Wrote:  "Driver of the de-railed gravy train"... Wink. Capisco quello che dici.
I don't know what you've been smokin' Dave but can I get some!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I ordered one of these bad boys last week.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250996415877?...K:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

So hopefully, if it arrives by wednesday, I'm going to do some very low passes over the weeds. If not wednesday then probably friday. If I can get a bit of access through them for my barrow and some cool afternoons, I'll keep on with the drain Chris started and continue filling up the hole in the strip as well.

That definately looks the goods Jason... I might just have to get one myself... at that price its a steal!

I went online this afternoon to buy one but the price has gone up but $400... Oops !!! Its not a steal anymore. I was going to get one but I will have to give it a miss!
What did yours cost Jason?

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6