Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

in general the grass was not too long for flying , but it was hard to see the actuall strip runway . needs a mow for sure , but wont deter anyone for flying as its still quite short .
in general the grass was not too long for flying , but it was hard to see the actuall strip runway . needs a mow for sure , but wont deter anyone for flying as its still quite short . the strip is quite a size now . do you guys have a ride on mower , or are you all push mowing ?
in general the grass was not too long for flying , but it was hard to see the actuall strip runway . needs a mow for sure , but wont deter anyone for flying as its still quite short . the strip is quite a size now . do you guys have a ride on mower , or are you all push mowing ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Thanks, thanks and thanks for the update Frank Wink

We're using your average garden-variety (literally!) mower and for one person to do it usually takes about 90 minutes, but it's not really a hassle .... unless it's 40+ degC of course.

OK, well if it's considered operational then we'll live with it as is tomorrow and then think about a late afternoon mowing session on Saturday so that it's perfect for Sunday.

Steve Murray

I think mowing this arvo is attempted suicide. I am more than happy to turn up tomorrow morning at quarter to sparrows fart to assist in mowing but unfortunately I dont own a mower.

Thats not good enough Wayne. I think you should go out and buy one, as a matter of fact...why don't you buy a ride on? Biggrin

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(12-01-2013, 07:37 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Thats not good enough Wayne. I think you should go out and buy one, as a matter of fact...why don't you buy a ride on? Biggrin

what a good idea . infact when he orders my ALBATROSS !!! he can order the ride on at the same time to save on delivery costs LoL .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Hmmm, ride on lawn mower, what about an enclosed trailer with room for the mower & albatross. Better still a pantech & I can also store & transport everybody's planes. What about I buy 10 acres for us to fly on. Now back to another topic, the gun debate, any help for me getting a money acquisition persuader to help pay for all this stuff. Icon_twisted Shock Wink Lol

Yep - the western skyline looks a lot different now!
This photograph doesn't really do it justice, you've gotta see it for yourself ...

Steve Murray

Nipped down to the field for a short time yesterday and must say that I was really surprised at the change and really impressed with the difference.

Congratulations to all concerned especially to all the hard working members of the Committee for proposing it to Parramatta Council and for seeing it through.

Hip Hip etc., etc., etc.,

Smile

yep . the field can definaitely take big planes now . att ( gbanger, raptorfly and secantogive) i need to see some in the air so i can take my next direction in aircraft . LOL .

(13-01-2013, 11:31 AM)wingtipper Wrote:  yep . the field can definaitely take big planes now . att ( gbanger, raptorfly and secantogive) i need to see some in the air so i can take my next direction in aircraft . LOL .

Well the big Yak was there today Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Well, I guess we're going to find out how the removal of the willows and corals will affect the water-flow because it's pissing down at the moment!

If it eases up before sundown, I'll go over and see what's happening with the run-off.

Steve Murray

Did you get a chance to have a look Steve?
I came down hard at my place, but not for very long.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Unfortunately, I didn't get there after all Jason - had a few other issues crop up instead.
We got a fair bit of rain here, but I don't think it was in total as much as we had on Xmas Day.

I'll definitely get a chance to give it a once-over tomorrow at some point.

Steve Murray

So ... to "Field Condition" - it's surprisingly good after yesterday's drenching! A couple of areas holding water (the usual spots - see photographs) but they'll be dry in a couple of days - in fact without undue stress, the field would be usable tomorrow! The soil which Jason used to fill the hole opposite the pilot's box has not been washed away.

It's clear from the last photograph of the extreme eastern end of the runway, that the entire strip was under running water at some point yesterday because of all the grass-clippings you can see washed up against the un-mown grass at the end of the strip. This wasn't there on Saturday evening when I was mowing. Even with that happening though, we're not going to be grounded for a week or more, as we would have been on most occasions last year. All good!

Steve Murray

Yes Steve it's looking pretty good.
I won't see it myself until I return from Brisbane but that
looks like a great job the contractor did with the willows.
It really opens up the field now.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Yes PJ - it opens up the sky at that end for sure, you'll be impressed when you get back here!

Steve Murray

All we have to do now is get ride of the the bull rushes so we can start reclaiming the main runway.
We will speak to Parramatta council about it first, if we get no joy from them we will have a chat with the men at Skyline and ask what they will charge to bring down a big slasher and rip em to shreds.
Then we can embark on a runway recovery program, the biggest plus will be that we can extend the main runway by about 40 meters, that alone will make life so much easier for everyone, the field will then bea lot more user friendly particularly for larger aircraft, because when we increase the overall length of the runway we will make the approach a breeze in both directions.
That all sounds great but our age old adversary (RAIN) will always be a major problem, so while it is dry enough we need to get the council to assist in widening and deepening the natural drainage or we have to do it ourselves.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

There's just one thing we've got to keep an eye on with respect to using a slasher - it's apparently illegal to use them during a total fire ban. Fortunately, a look at the RFS website indicates that the ban which was in place last week has been lifted (http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?CAT_ID=1109) but it's something we'll have to check if we start out doing things ourselves.

Steve Murray

The field is good to go for the mid-week mob. The paspalum is coming up, but it's useable tomorrow (will definitely need another hair cut before the weekend). The water has moved off the runway, although it's boggy if you step off it on the southern side ... not unexpectedly.

The only sour note is that someone has dumped green waste right in front of the gate!

Steve Murray

The only sour note is that someone has dumped green waste right in front of the gate!

I believe in karma: a pox on their car * 10^3

(15-01-2013, 09:09 PM)Skidz Wrote:  I believe in karma: a pox on their car * 10^3
Yes, I agree .... "Release the hounds!"

Steve Murray

I'll raise you 10^3 to 5X10^6..................that is a lot of pox !!

Here's hoping someone dumps a big load of old lipos on that persons front gate.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

(16-01-2013, 05:49 PM)ConcreteTurtle Wrote:  Here's hoping someone dumps a big load of old lipos on that persons front gate.

I have 5 having a bath now. Call me if you can locate the new owner Mad

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

How about locating their car & giving their rubbush back to them. Unfortunately will have to break a window to get it inside.
On a serious note, are we able to report it to council & have them remove it.

(16-01-2013, 08:32 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  On a serious note, are we able to report it to council & have them remove it.

That picture is a little deceiving. I had to shift quite a bit today to squeeze my car through. (and there's a bunch more green waste on the other side of the gate as an invitation for future dumpers to add to, some bags and misc refuse further down, an engine block around the corner, ...)

Hopefully a committee can wade in and advise if they have already reported it to council? (And which? It might well be on the boundary with the Blacktown council side Frown )

If council won't or can't act soon, and I'd hate to make a habit of it, but perhaps we should organise a quick working bee / trip to tip? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Might be time to start taking license plates of the odd car that sometimes comes down the ramp, stops abruptly, turns about, then leaves? I've seen a handful over the last few months, and they'd have to be dumpers...

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

The one member of the Committee with the authority to liaise with PCC on behalf of the Club is snowed-under with other commitments at the moment, but I'm sure it will be discussed soon.

Of course, it's not the first time that dumpers have dumped there and I don't think we've actually contacted PCC about it directly before ... nevertheless, the mattress, TV, car tyres and other stuff I can remember seeing there in the past, has disappeared. Perhaps the Council has it's own dumper-patrol, I really don't know.

Anyway, if it's been pushed aside for the moment and doesn't prevent our access, then that's the most important thing dealt with already.

Steve Murray

Perhaps a sign that says something like "No dumping this area is under video survailance".
might act as a deterant.

Parra council have been contacted to see what can be done about this. Its a little more complicated as I believe the the gate and drive way is part of Blacktown council.

Secretary

Well, in spite of the crap at the gate we have a field which is good to go for the weekend.

I only mowed the strip this afternoon ... my enthusiasm was gone by the time I'd done that and it was well past "Bier Stunde" anyway. The thought of mowing tomorrow afternoon in an anticipated 41 degC heat didn't appeal much, and the option of an early morning start on Saturday, even less Wink

The PCC slasher bloke looks like he's visited the field in the last day but he's only had a swing at the grass at each end of the strip - the reeds haven't been touched. I guess it was still a bit too wet off the southern side of the runway for the equipment. Bit of a shame that, if it was as dry as it was this time last week he'd probably have got stuck in.

Steve Murray