Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Field Condition...

(20-03-2012, 08:02 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Once again Steve...................... great work on the sign mate, appreciate the effort.......................don't think anyone else noticed your lovely handy work in the zoom shot of Pic 1 (Post #566)

Lol i Do it for Love of the Hobby.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I didn't notice the sign in the pic either

Nice one !!!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Nice work with the signage Steve B.

I've been busy elsewhere for the last couple of weeks so no flying, building or posts, but I'm back this coming W/E. So when is the "Precision Mowing Team" planning their next sortie? Assuming the field is firm enough (perhaps you could comment Steve B or M).

Cheers
Chris

(21-03-2012, 01:45 PM)chrism Wrote:  Nice work with the signage Steve B.

I've been busy elsewhere for the last couple of weeks so no flying, building or posts, but I'm back this coming W/E. So when is the "Precision Mowing Team" planning their next sortie? Assuming the field is firm enough (perhaps you could comment Steve B or M).

Cheers
Chris

Was Damp Yesterday but need to check it out Hopefully this arvo on its Progress, Im hoping its better than yesterday.
It may be a Friday arvo Visit before the weekend for a hand mow if it dries out enough.
Otherwise its a wash out this weekend again.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Good to hear from you Chris!
Yes, I was thinking it would need all the time it can get before it's mown - Friday afternoon would be the best option I reckon. Willy predicts rain tomorrow, which would be a real pita because then it looks like it will be clear for Friday and the weekend.

By the way, I think this coming Sunday is the Blacktown Electric day isn't it?

Steve Murray

Was down this afternoon with Steve m and Jason, Field Condition still Too wet for mowing and half strip still Soggy.
If we get any Rain Next couple of days we can Give Mcoy a Miss for Mowing This weekend and getting strip plane worthy.

Steve

Did you find the fan unit ?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yes, we did! Over in the heli practice area we spotted a mark on the ground where it had bounced and removed a bit of turf! This was lucky, because it gave us a straight line search into the thick scrub - Steve spotted it and recovered it. No damage (surprisingly!) and after cleaning out a bit of mud he ran it up just past idle to see if it was alright - no worries. A good clean out and it will be ready to rip on 5S again!

Steve Murray

Biggrin
(21-03-2012, 08:22 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Did you find the fan unit ?

Fan is intact and not Damaged.
Did you Upload the video Jason ?

I'm on Second Thoughts as too the edf touched the ground or the mount was not strong enough as it appears the epoxy did not stick to well to the fan Unit. and came loose. or its grabbed the long weed that pulled it to the ground Fly low low pass.

Not Fussed as it was old Stryker Frame that i used to see if edf setup was a go. Started already with proper setup with alluminium mounts for edf and carbon reinforcing.
It was Moving fast Biggrin loved it.

(21-03-2012, 08:51 PM)samste Wrote:  Biggrin
(21-03-2012, 08:22 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Did you find the fan unit ?

Fan is intact and not Damaged.
Did you Upload the video Jason ?

I'm on Second Thoughts as too the edf touched the ground or the mount was not strong enough as it appears the epoxy did not stick to well to the fan Unit. and came loose. or its grabbed the long weed that pulled it to the ground Fly low low pass.

Not Fussed as it was old Stryker Frame that i used to see if edf setup was a go. Started already with proper setup with alluminium mounts for edf and carbon reinforcing.
It was Moving fast Biggrin loved it.

It was moving !! that's for sure
The clip is on the members section just uploaded it
It looked like the fan hit the ground pretty hard it bounced a long way.

(20-03-2012, 08:02 PM)gbanger Wrote:  don't think anyone else noticed your lovely handy work in the zoom shot of Pic 1 (Post #566)

I noticed, but thought Steve B was playing at Photoshop! Smile Nice job on the sign Steve B - saw it this morning when I popped in for a quick couple of flights.

Might have to reschedule the Wed morning flying sessions to the afternoon to catch the rest of you guys!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Willy says we've had 3mm since 9:00am today, so as we expected, there's no way any mowing can be done tomorrow afternoon as was originally planned.
Hopefully see a few of you at Blacktown on Sunday!

Planning to try and do a mow Tommorow afternoon if any wants to join me, only issue is not sure what time i going to be able to get down there as it depends what time i finish.
Will post when i'm Heading Down.

.jpg Free-Clipart-of-Mower.jpg Size: 23.39 KB  Downloads: 335

Steve

Happy to lend a hand with a mower. Just let me know

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

Sorry, cant help. Last Saturday's mowing resulted in a blown head gasket. Waiting for the new to arrive. Not here yet.

I can't make it tomorrow, or this weekend at all - sorry Steve.

I'll try and can get down there this afternoon with a mower too. It depends on how work goes today tho'

Big thank you to Jason and Steve (samste) for helping mow the field this afternoon. Between the 3 of us we got the entire area (strip, taxiway, heli area and pits) mowed to a pretty good and usable standard. So now that El Ninia maggot has pissed of we look like we are slowly going to on top of returning our field to its previous glory.
Roll on the dry weather. See you all tomorrow, forecast is looking pretty good.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I'll be there tomorrow, thanks guys Smile

Really appreciate the hard work guys.
Thank you all.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Junior and I walked over to the field this afternoon for a fly and to check things over - the strip is looking very good. The patch at the western end in the middle of the runway has dried out (you can walk right through it now), but there are still large areas off the southern edge which are holding water.

We're going to go over there tomorrow afternoon and mow the runway down nice and low, using the grass-catcher to dump clippings off to the side. It'll take a while, but will be perfect when we finish it. Anyone else who wants to touch-up the taxiway, pits, carpark, heli practice area, whatever ... can do so on Thursday, but the runway should be ready for Friday morning at the very least.

Excellent. Thanks Steve.

(03-04-2012, 10:21 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Excellent. Thanks Steve.
No worries Dave - I had the shits anyway (metaphorically) and needed to get out of the house and go for a walk, so it made sense to push the mower along while doing it.
The strip looks very good, but you've only got to stray off the sides by a few cm and you're in the brown stuff! A few more weeks of this improved weather (if that's not too much to ask) and Darren will be able to take over again.
See you Friday :-)

Steve Murray

Nice work Steve (and Owen)
Appreciate the effort

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

No probs Gazz - the strip, taxiway and box were all done - we were too lazy to do the pits and the heli practice area again because they didn't really look like they needed it all that badly and it was getting dark.

We tried to reclaim a couple of metres along the southern side of the strip but we were only able to mow that with the blades jacked up high - still, it might help getting it dried out.

Good to go for a long weekend! :-)

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve.

Did you notice the wider driveway-in and extended parking area? The council tractor carefully braved the crossing, and came over while we were there today (met the driver - nice guy) and made short work of those areas. He had wanted to do more, but was short on time and realised it best dry out a bit more.

He also mentioned that he's been doing this for 17 years, and this is the worst he's seen it (supposed to do it every 4 weeks, but hasn't been able to get across this side). Once upon a time, apparently he was able to just about clear out the entire creek area.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Yes Claudio - we did notice that the slasher had been through.
I'd dearly love to see him able to almost clear the entire creek again! We braved walking (wading?) into the old runway and even if it did dry out, no conventional push mower or ride-on mower would be able to recover it. It would definitely require a slasher on a tractor just to get our old strip back.
For the moment though, we'll be right for Friday, maybe Saturday too if the predicted showers hold off.
See you then!

Although I have assisted the precision mowing team on a couple of occasions, I do feel guilty seeing the select few do so much work on behalf of the club to bring the strip to the fine standards the rest of us simply get to enjoy. Having a fully paved yard, I dont own a lawn mower & late arrivals home from work, it pretty much precludes me from a better share of these duties. Many thanks to the mowing team for all of your efforts.

Yes, many thanks to all concerned with the hard work keeping our field in good nick. Unfortunately for me, weird work shifts, only one car & kids needing Mum's taxi during the week, stops me from helping. I would if I could.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Well, some good news at last! I met Claudio, Angus, FrankdB and SteveL down at the field on Wednesday morning and the runway had dried out quite well since the drenching last Sunday night. I was a bit worried about the rest of this week though, because Willy said 95% chance of 5-10mm for yesterday - but it never showed up. A 70% chance of 1-5mm was tipped for today, but that doesn't look likely either now. The forecasts for tomorrow and the weekend look to be excellent.
So, it means a mowing session tomorrow afternoon probably won't be wasted! Junior and I are planning on cutting the runway down good and low like last time - make it look like a snooker table. Anyone who can join us would be welcome too of course.
Chocks away!....

Steve Murray