Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Area 51 Pete? ... it's history mate, we won't be going back.

Steve Murray

(04-02-2012, 04:27 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  ... and here we are almost exactly four hours later at 3:25pm. It's draining off well, but is going to need a break from the rain during the coming week so that we can consider mowing it for next weekend.

Quite the difference in a few hours - it was running off quite quickly when I was there.

As an aside, was interesting to observe the flow of water near the "potholes" along the drive in; it quickly became clear that continued attempts to fill in these holes will be futile without also re-levelling the ground ahead of them.

See how there's a mound of dirt/grass in front of every puddle in Steve M's picture? When the water was streaming through at speed, the flow would hit those mounds, launch 10-20 cms high, and then drop... creating the erosion that causes these potholes. That is, it's not so much that the soil surface is being washed away, put rather that it is being pushed out.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Interesting observation about the pot holes Claudio

I was down at McCoy field this evening and it was looking pretty good the strip was almost dry enough to mow and I managed to get 3 flights in before the sun went down. Took off and landed on wheels no probs at all.

If the weather holds it will be good to fly mid week for sure

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I must say, the new (temp) strip position seems quite resilient.. and it certainly has been put to the test!

I haven't been over to check out the field for a few days but I don't think the situation would be very pleasing.
Originally hoped to be able to put the mower over it tomorrow in readiness for the weekend, but that's looking increasingly unlikely (or a waste of time anyway).

I'll see if I can get over there later today for a look and then back here for an update ... but, it would seem to be a good weekend for building/simulation/whining about the %*#^$ing weather/whatever ...

Steve Murray

We havn't had much rain since the 5th when I was there so it shouldn't be too wet at the moment.

The chance of 10-15 and 5-10 mm for Friday and Saterday is pretty high tho'

We could be lucky, Smile I'm allways the optimist and even so Sunday still looks moderatly hopefull at this stage

http://rainfall.willyweather.com.au/nsw/...abbie.html

Better pull my finger out on that launcher incase the strip is too wet Smile...............Think ya gotta 'ave a plan B ay ??

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yeh, stick with plan B Jason - it's absolutely chucking it down here right now.

I just got back from a walk along the strip ... it was not good. It needs a mow badly and there's no way that's even a remote possibility before the weekend. Quite a lot of water on the strip, and that was before the current downpour.

I'm a bit surprised that ParraCity Council hasn't closed all grounds like they usually do when it looks the way it does right now.

Steve Murray

I was in my car at Lalor park waiting to get out for a funeral. Rained through the whole service.

We have Kev's indoor on Saturday, it never rains there.

srl

(09-02-2012, 04:56 PM)srl Wrote:  I was in my car at Lalor park waiting to get out for a funeral. Rained through the whole service.

We have Kev's indoor on Saturday, it never rains there.

srl

Yes the Downpour Today would have made it a sad Runway as yesterday at lunch it was pretty good and recovering.

I guess this weekend, just brave it with the hand launch planes if it's not raining, otherwise stay at home and try to perfect the Ceiling fan Trick with lots of pratcice Tounge .

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

11:30pm tonight and guess what???????????
It's pouring............Frown
These last 9 months have got to be the wettest on record.
I think we can forget about our field again this weekend.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

"I love a sunburnt country"...........

Are you S-E-R-I-O-U-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? (With apologies to John McEnroe!)

Smile

yeah, all this rain and cold temperature must be 'global warming'

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

(10-02-2012, 07:28 AM)brotherblonde Wrote:  yeah, all this rain and cold temperature must be 'global warming'

Yup, it sure is. I can't wait until we start paying the Carbon Tax so all this horrible weather will go away and we'll have lovely sunny days and comfortable temperatures 365 days a year. I know this because Julia and Professor Tim told me so BiggrinBiggrinBiggrinThumbupThumbupThumbup.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Mick,

Be careful. Julia tells porkies.

(10-02-2012, 05:50 PM)Skidz Wrote:  Mick,

Be careful. Julia tells porkies.

Noooo, a politician that lies? Shock It's not possible! I find that very very hard to believe........Confused

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

We had some bags of sand left over from rennovation work done on the house, so Junior and I thought we'd make a few trips over to McCoy to dump the surplus into the depressions on the strip. Got there just a little too late with the last load ...

Looks like those of you who were able to get a few circuits in earlier today, timed it quite well!

Steve Murray

WowRedface
And to think we had a great session this morning and the runway was almost dry. I left just on 1:00pm and it was fantastic.

Any lost planes or bits will now be out to sea.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

OMFG!!!!!!!! That was a shortlived storm we had but what an impact. Oh well, at least we dont have to worry of raking to get rid of the mower clippings Tounge .

Great Shots Steve i Think this down pour is very similar to the june 2010 Storm, a lot of water in not alot of time.

June 2010

Feb 2012

The Days I remember

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yes Steve - I like your last photograph the best, but gotta try really hard to remember that far back Wink

Steve Murray

I really think that the last photo has been airbrushed & doctored to make it look that good!

Cannot remember that look at all - age is really getting to me!

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

I was down at the field last night for a look.
Most of the water had receeded as one might expect, there was still some water on the strip up towards the grace end and there still seemed to be a reasonable flow through the concrete causway.

There were a couple of tree stumps that had probably washed down from somewhere on the path going in, near where the track goes down the hill and Pot holes form.

There were plenty of Ibis loking for tucker on the strip and there was still some remenants of the sand that Steve and Owen put there.

I'm hopefull that it won't take too long to dry if we dont get continue to get a lot of rain.
Looking at willy weather's forcast for the comming week will be a bit drier with a 75% chance of only 1-5 mm forcast for toady almost no chance of rain tomorrow and 1-5 for with only a 15% chance for friday and about 80% chance for 1-5mm for the weekend. Concidering the average rainfall for this month has been about 1/2 an inch per day, we can almost say that it's going to be a dryish week Smile.......................don't you love statistics.

"Due to the current econimic crisis and the continually rising cost of electricity the light at the end of the tunnel will have to be turned off"

Don't know what you guys are complaining about , there were three intrepid souls down there flying this morning. Although wearing gumboots made wading from the high ground to the strip a lot easier.

(15-02-2012, 03:43 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Ah Memories....

http://www.rcflyingclub.com/2009/01/03/p...the-field/

I can almost hear you sing the song!! What about "Those were the days. my friend". At least the ground was dry and life was simple!!!

Smile

Went down to the field this evening to walk up & down then across for a bit.

The strip is still quite wet in places but will be usable by Saturday provided we don't get another downpour like last W/E.
As far as driving vehicles in goes that decision will have to be made on the day. I drove in this evening and probably shouldn't have as I left wheel tracks just before getting to the pit area.

Here's hoping for fair weather for the W/E.

Chris M

(16-02-2012, 09:33 PM)chrism Wrote:  Went down to the field this evening to walk up & down then across for a bit.

The strip is still quite wet in places but will be usable by Saturday provided we don't get another downpour like last W/E.
As far as driving vehicles in goes that decision will have to be made on the day. I drove in this evening and probably shouldn't have as I left wheel tracks just before getting to the pit area.

Chris M

Unfortunately i could not get down there this afternoon to help mow.

Do i need to pack mower in and try to get down there tommorow afternoon ?

(16-02-2012, 10:33 PM)samste Wrote:  
(16-02-2012, 09:33 PM)chrism Wrote:  Went down to the field this evening to walk up & down then across for a bit.

Chris M

Unfortunately i could not get down there this afternoon to help mow.

Do i need to pack mower in and try to get down there tommorow afternoon ?

Steve,
The strip doesn't really need any more mowing until it really dries up, but if you are keen the pits and heli hovering area could be enlarged - I only had time to do a small amount in these two areas.

Chris M

I Think The Field is now with the massive storm and Rain a Full on Lake.
Its is Torrential and still Pouring Down
Long Live -
Parramatta Radio Control Boat Club

Will be pasing by Tommorow and will see the Damage